Wr250f fork swap

Ok guys, I'm considering getting some wr250f forks from a tt member, I'll tell you what i know and what i don't know.

Wr forks are kyb crf230 are Showa

Wr brake pads are the same as the crf230 but the rotor is 250mm vs crf230 240mm

I have oversize ebc brakes

Wr axle is 20mm! Crf230 is 15mm

I don't k ow anything about the wr's steering stem.

Is it even possible to get this to work?

Could i get bearings to fit the 230s wheel to accept the 20mm axle?

Could i make a bushing for the lower triple clamp to get the crf230 steering stem to work? Or even get bearings to work?

Are the wr forks worth the time?

10 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Just my opinion probably not. 

How come when there is a perfect CR85/CRF150r fork switch people look for something else. :facepalm:

Because the crf 150r forks are expensive 

7 hours ago, stevethe said:

Wait till you find out all of what it takes to put WR250 forks on. Only to find out they aren't much better than CRF230 forks. :facepalm:

Was that your experience with them? If so then what r your suggestions? 

Sorry no experience with the 250 forks only the 450 forks and they come with horrible base valves. They are operated by a spring and two shims when the spring sacks out they dive right through the travel. They must be replaced with Racetech gold valves. 

However why anyone would put a heavy front end on one when you can just get something known is the question. :rolleyes: 

3 hours ago, stevethe said:

Sorry no experience with the 250 forks only the 450 forks and they come with horrible base valves. They are operated by a spring and two shims when the spring sacks out they dive right through the travel. They must be replaced with Racetech gold valves. 

However why anyone would put a heavy front end on one when you can just get something known is the question. :rolleyes: 

I wasn't aware that they are heavy forks, I don't have experience with them, I was seeing a good set at what I think is a good price hence the reason I gave it some consideration, revalving isn't an issue for me either, I know there are guys out there that did fork swaps without documenting it, thought the wr forks may have been one. 

It just so happens that the Twin Chamber Showas from CRF250/450R have the same brake caliper spacing as the 230F which may be true of all Honda forks from way back to current.  This spacing may also be an industry standard among the Japanese 4 or all dirt bikes.  I'm sure somebody out there has documented this info for swap purposes. 

Axle size is bigger and hollow on the 250/450 MX bikes which is better.  I do believe you can find bearings and seals to convert a 230F front wheel for a 20mm axle or just get a 250/450R front wheel.  It is the same diameter but better quality across the board.  Rim, hub, rotor etc.  You can even find them used with trick aftermarket rims and hubs lots easier and for about the same money as the rare and much coveted CRF230F front wheel.

Both the CR85/CRF150R and all 250/450R USD forks are noticeably lighter than the OE 230F units so win-win regardless.  The 85/150 are 37mm whilst the 250/450 are 47mm or 48mm.

I do agree with SteveThe, consider the price for complete upgrade and the END RESULT!  Don't be tempted by a low price on just one part especially if it is gonna cost lots more to integrate and possibly wonky when finished.  Some aspects of the CR85/150R swap bugged me, like the caliper bracket adaptor thing.

That being said, if there were a pair of forks which were lots more super duper awesome but required a bit more work to make fit then I'd consider that a reasonable argument.  Something like a pair of Ohlins factory prepped forks with state of the art valving not available to mortal men.  I don't think the WR forks are anything special not to mention the added work to interface them with a Honda.

• Like 2