Opinions wanted: Lectron Carb on YZ250

Hi,

I'm thinking about picking up a Lectron carb for a 06 YZ250 2 stroke. I'm seeing somewhat mixed reviews. Some are saying it's better then sliced 

bread and others can't seem to get it to work. So... before I jump into it.. I want the real scoop from folks that have put on on and ride with it. 

1. Is it better? Better throttle response? Crisper... an improvement?

2. Or did it not perform better?

3. Did you by a 36 or 38?? 

Honest real world performance opinions please!

• Like 1

I've got one on my '78 YZ 400. That thing is amazing. It's a 36mm. It runs really good and is pretty much install and forget. I got mine pretty much dialed in out of the box. It's a hair lean but that's easy to fix, just adjusting the metering rod and your good to go. I was pretty hesitant to buy it at first too and did a lot of reading and saw mixed reviews. I definitely don't regret it. The guys at Lectron are extremely helpful too. I've got an old video of it running right out of the box on YouTube somewhere.

I have never owned a bike with a Lectron, but I do buy and sell an awful lot of bikes.  If the Lectron really does work, it seems that a YZ would benefit the least, as it is pretty clear to me that Yamaha has their jetting dialed from the factory dialed better than any other manufacturer.  

• Like 1

I received a Lectron last year for my YZ250X. After getting the bugs worked out, and receiving the revised metering rod it works fantastic.

Starts up first kick, runs great cold (freezing up here in NH) and provides smooth and powerful throttle response through the whole range.

Performance 4.5/5

Fit and Finish 3/5 - some defects, scratches upon receipt. No biggie, just cosmetic

Customer Service - 5/5 I'm a pain, and they handled everything fantastically

Price 4/5 - I know its a independent company with a carb, but 400$ puts them out of most peoples budgets for a part that already exists on the bike. The carb. But performance, ease of use, and reliability out weighed the cost for me.

I have one on my 2013 ktm 150sx. A 36mm.  Finally got it working good after a year. I have to try 3 different metering rods . I would say it's now very slightly better than the properly jetted keihin I have. Definitely better fuel economy. With the Keihin the bike will average 25mpg,  lectron is around 30 mpg. I would not buy one again. 

I have them on a Beta 300rr and 2 xTrainers. While they work perfectly well, the biggest advantage is they're much less sensitive to altitude changes, important for us since we ride sea level to 12,000 '. No question the fuel economy is better, important for long rides. They're not nearly as sensitive to float levels and don't endlessly dribble fuel.

The only other real plus I can think of is the bikes are a LOT easier to start in cold weather. Personally I think they should come stock instead of the PWK.

• Like 2

Oh, before I forget. The claim by a certain vendor they make less horsepower isn't true as there's numerous dyno graphs out there to support this. I can't tell whether it's more or less riding but they're certainly smoother than a PWK without having to try to figure out slides and needles for a given application. 

My buddy was having trouble jetting for the different elevations we ride so I told him he should get a lectron for his YZ250.  No problems since and he gets amazing fuel mileage.  He loves it.  If I were planning to keep my 300 I would get one but I know I will be selling it.

Looking at the newer version is a lot like looking at my older versions.  In 1980 I put one on my 1979 Canam 250.   Worked better than the Bing it replaced,  and it was much bigger, which worked with some other changes.  When I decided to build a bike for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb in 1982 I bought another one (40mm for an RM 465).  I am not so sure about that one.  I still have it.   Power jet version.   I never tried jetting the stock mikuni once I was in colorado,  and lectron was very helpful. (OK I loved talking to the lady there with the British accent.)    I never bought another one.  My lectrons have been on two strokes and four strokes from time to time.  My xr500 champion framed ice racer was the last one.  As mentioned,  they do start and run good in the cold when properly set up and seem less bothered by jetting changes once warmed up.  From there,  and in altitude,  I didn't see that much of an advantage to any properly set up Mikuni or PWK or PWM etc Keihin.   But I haven't tried the new type needles either.