$$$ What do you budget for a new to you bike to make it yours?

I generally buy late model used in apparent good or better condition, keeping in mind i will likely spend $1-2000 getting it right for me.

Through going over, oil and other fluids, filters, grease, etc., perhaps gaskets and such for a look-see. Maybe tires and tubes. Always something unexpected.

Fixing bike specific issues, KLR Doo's and KTM air box and fuel tank sub frames. Larger fuel tanks.

Mirrors, hand guards, seat? Crash and other protection? Steering damper?

Luggage...tank bag, tail rack and pack, other soft luggage. GPS mount.

Not to mention exhausts, tuners or re jetting, suspension, etc.

And BLING! ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flagstaff said:

I generally buy late model used in apparent good or better condition, keeping in mind i will likely spend $1-2000 getting it right for me.

Through going over, oil and other fluids, filters, grease, etc., perhaps gaskets and such for a look-see. Maybe tires and tubes. Always something unexpected.

Fixing bike specific issues, KLR Doo's and KTM air box and fuel tank sub frames. Larger fuel tanks.

Mirrors , hand guards, seat? Crash and other protection? Steering damper?

Luggage...tank bag, tail rack and pack, other soft luggage. GPS mount.

Not to mention exhausts, tuners or re jetting, suspension, etc.

And BLING! ?

Interesting question.

The last two bikes I have bought are already depreciated. 1998 XR250 for 2500AUD registered. Probably spent about 600 on it all up. Maybe more.

I also sold it quickly too, if I was to keep it I would have been expecting to rebuild it eventually (yes, even XRs need rebuilds after nearly 20 years). 

My latest used bike is a 2009 150SX. Paid 3K aussie for. Maybe a bit too much but I wanted it. So far the neglected parts were:

Tires, shock link joint, a gasket set for the top end, coolant and oil. I changed a few spokes too and a few bits of bling. I estimate less (easily) than 600 Aussie spent. I havent disassembled it yet for greasing. My plan is to ride it for as long as possible then do a sweet build on it, starting with a DIY revalve. It doesnt need more engine mods, maybe crisping up the jetting a bit down low. So far, $$$ for performance and fun, this is the best bike I have owned.

My RGV250 I bought for 800 Aussie. I'd spent over 4K. I sold it the other day for a loss. Thank &%$#@! its out of my life (it was a sick bike, really the most awesome sport bike ever built from my point of view. But I like to ride, not wrench and spend $$$)

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BushPig said:

Interesting question.

The last two bikes I have bought are already depreciated. 1998 XR250 for 2500AUD registered. Probably spent about 600 on it all up. Maybe more.

I also sold it quickly too, if I was to keep it I would have been expecting to rebuild it eventually (yes, even XRs need rebuilds after nearly 20 years). 

My latest used bike is a 2009 150SX. Paid 3K aussie for. Maybe a bit too much but I wanted it. So far the neglected parts were:

Tires, shock link joint, a gasket set for the top end, coolant and oil. I changed a few spokes too and a few bits of bling. I estimate less (easily) than 600 Aussie spent. I havent disassembled it yet for greasing. My plan is to ride it for as long as possible then do a sweet build on it, starting with a DIY revalve. It doesnt need more engine mods, maybe crisping up the jetting a bit down low. So far, $$$ for performance and fun, this is the best bike I have owned.

My RGV250 I bought for 800 Aussie. I'd spent over 4K. I sold it the other day for a loss. Thank &%$#@! its out of my life (it was a sick bike, really the most awesome sport bike ever built from my point of view. But I like to ride, not wrench and spend $$$)

I remember the RGV. I quit buying project bikes years ago for the reasons you stated.

Prompting the thread is the 690R I bought in October. I probably have ~$750 in it so far, and with summer coming I've been shopping mods and accessories. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flagstaff said:

I remember the RGV. I quit buying project bikes years ago for the reasons you stated.

Prompting the thread is the 690R I bought in October. I probably have ~$750 in it so far, and with summer coming I've been shopping mods and accessories. 

Would have kept it, but I wasnt in the position to. IMO.

No other contributions to this thread?

42 minutes ago, BushPig said:

Would have kept it, but I wasnt in the position to. IMO.

No other contributions to this thread?

It's a slow forum. I was going to put in general dirt bike, but was more interested in comments from participants here. 

I note your new signature. Get a deal on a CR125?
Seems like the last bike I'd expect you to buy?

Yes I did! While the 450X looked like a pit bike beneath me the 2002 cr125 may even be smaller but its still fun to ride on moderately challenging trails. No vibration, low smoke, doesn't get hot, quiet at idle, handles good, easy to start, feels like mach 5 when it's on the pipe. ?
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Yes I did! While the 450X looked like a pit bike beneath me the 2002 cr125 may even be smaller but its still fun to ride on moderately challenging trails. No vibration, low smoke, doesn't get hot, quiet at idle, handles good, easy to start, feels like mach 5 when it's on the pipe. :)

Have you owned a small bore bike under 200cc before? The above is why some people like them... 

Have you owned a small bore bike under 200cc before? The above is why some people like them... 

Had a ktm 200 before. This cr motor not as versatile but has more violent hit [emoji4]. Had a 94 rm125 for a while but that motor is quite mellow compared to the so-called slow Honda. Surprising how much stuff the Honda laughs at. :ride: at quick trail breaks with other riders I just let it idle without concern for sound or heat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Depends how long you realistically plan to keep the bike. Exhaust would be last unless it's in the way of body movement like the old bmw/kymco/husqvarna 449/511 TE models in the USA.

That is the thing, not wanting to spend too much until you know how long the relationship will last. On the other hand, missing out on some useful mods for a period of time.

That is the thing, not wanting to spend too much until you know how long the relationship will last. On the other hand, missing out on some useful mods for a period of time.

What bike are you considering to get? Don't get caught in a trap of farkling a klr or Dr650 into a ktm competitor. It's still a low performance bike which of course have their merits too.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

What bike are you considering to get? Don't get caught in a trap of farkling a klr or Dr650 into a ktm competitor. It's still a low performance bike which of course have their merits too.

Bought a KTM 690 in October. I've owned something like 30 bikes and am well aware it's important to start with the correct bike for the intended use. ?

• Like 1

Bought a KTM 690 in October. I've owned something like 30 bikes and am well aware it's important to start with the correct bike for the intended use. [emoji106]

Rekluse and suspension mods maybe. Bigger tank but I hear there's limited choices for 690. Very capable bike. Skid plate!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

Rekluse and suspension mods maybe. Bigger tank but I hear there's limited choices for 690. Very capable bike. Skid plate!

Got a pipe, skid plate, handguards with the bike. Made a rear master cylinder guard and side stand plate. Bought a tank bag, rear rack and bag, pannier racks coming in tomorrow. Hope to use soft bags I have laying around, otherwise more $. Not a Rekluse guy I think. Still playing with suspension, I'm not too sensitive unless it's really bad. A stabilizer is likely, probably Scotts. Fuel is an issue with plumbed in tanks very expensive. Will likely try to carry an extra gallon remotely.

Bikes primary use is distance off road, BDR type stuff, but challenging for a 690, not a 1250. ? 

Rear tire will take a while to figure out, this thing shreds them.

Got a pipe, skid plate, handguards with the bike. Made a rear master cylinder guard and side stand plate. Bought a tank bag, rear rack and bag, pannier racks coming in tomorrow. Hope to use soft bags I have laying around, otherwise more $. Not a Rekluse guy I think. Still playing with suspension, I'm not too sensitive unless it's really bad. A stabilizer is likely, probably Scotts. Fuel is an issue with plumbed in tanks very expensive. Will likely try to carry an extra gallon remotely.
Bikes primary use is distance off road, BDR type stuff, but challenging for a 690, not a 1250. [emoji38] 
Rear tire will take a while to figure out, this thing shreds them.

Know a guy with one who rides one on single track without issue.

I was in flagstaff the other day and saw a bar named bun huggers. What's up with that?

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

Know a guy with one who rides one on single track without issue.

I was in flagstaff the other day and saw a bar named bun huggers. What's up with that?

Hamburger joint, I didn't know they were still around. The one on my side of town closed a long time ago. I'm guessing you saw one on the west side near the university. Build your own burgers, fairly good as I recall.

• Like 1

Hamburger joint, I didn't know they were still around. The one on my side of town closed a long time ago. I'm guessing you saw one on the west side near the university. Build your own burgers, fairly good as I recall.

Sounds tasty. Sorry to miss. Yes by NAU. In Vegas now. Looks like a few places to ride in flagstaff. [emoji106]
  • Like 1

For DS?..pretty much get the sucker opened up and breathing the best it can,best gearing for my needs,good quality chain and sprockets and get the ergo's right for me..get the bar bend that im most used too and the right seat is a must..suspension would come only when I bagged the stock rear and the forks are pissing,then I'd send them both in and get them set up good if im pushing the thing off road

• Like 3

On 3/29/2017 at 4:10 PM, shrubitup said:

Had a ktm 200 before. This cr motor not as versatile but has more violent hit emoji4.png. Had a 94 rm125 for a while but that motor is quite mellow compared to the so-called slow Honda. Surprising how much stuff the Honda laughs at. :ride: at quick trail breaks with other riders I just let it idle without concern for sound or heat.

125cc is more capable than it is given credit for. And even for garden gnome sized riders such as my self impossibly light to stop dropping it so it prompts you to try stuff you shouldnt.

I'd bet you find that its the tall first and lack of FWW that limits that thing. Well that's where my 150 struggles anyway, but I haven't gone to the effort of jetting the pilot properly yet. I stalls a lot.

I cant go to a smaller front, as I find I top out easily as it is... unfortunately.