Midwest Beta Trail Ride - May 6 Ambrose Lake, MI

PlusOnePerformance and afterhourscycle.com are hosting a Michigan trail ride May 6 at the Ambrose Lake trail in mid-Michigan. All Beta riders are welcome, and if you have to bring your KTM-riding buddies along, so be it :ride:

All you need are the Michigan ORV/trail tags and a spark arrestor - handguards are recommended but not required. The trail has a decent mix of loam and sand, with a very few rocks and some roots. My bikes will have Michelin Starcross 5 softs mounted ... you can pick your own treads, but that's a good start.

There are north and south loops from the trail head, and if we have distinctly different talent pools we'll split and head in opposite directions, then meet back at the trailhead for lunch and head out again.

I'll edit this post with further details.

Edited by motoxgiant
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, cachunko said:

Awesome!  I'd love to come but I can't take a day off during the week :(

Good point ... we'll have it on the 6th instead :thumbsup:

A couple of us rode the trail last Saturday. The biggest issue was lack of contrast - rocks looked like roots looked like winter limbs dropped in the trail. There were a couple deep water spots (navigatible) and some large trees across the trail (opportunities to be like Graham or look for a way around) but all in all it's shaping up nicely, and with some foliage it will be even better.

Trail tags are good from now until the end of March next year - grab some of those, and preferably a spark arrestor and you're good to go. The entire length of trail that we rode could easily be ridden without handguards. Mostly flowing, a very few whoopy sections.

Excellent.  I and another friend are planning on coming.  You know Mark - he bought a beta from you a year or so ago.  We are both setup for whatever the day brings.  

And I'll pass on trying to be like Graham - I'll just end up on the ground haha.

But I do want to get a chain slider from you.  I can either write you a check (or cash) that day or send some money via paypal and pick it up from you that day.

Any updates on the ride?  I guess mainly if you're still going and what time to be there.  I'm assuming meet at the ORV parking lot?

The plan is to be wheels in the dirt at 10:30. We'll stage at the trailhead just west of N Dow Road, just off Houghton Creek Rd. I'll bring Gatorade and snacks, feel free to supplement with whatever floats your boat. We'll have maps for the trails that head east and south - if we've got a big group we can split up and take opposite directions, meet back in the middlle for benchracing, and then ride the opposite trail.

General directions are I-75 to West Branch, find your way around to Fairview Road and go north. Here's the DNR map http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/ambrose_lake_trail.pdf  . 

Remember - ORV and trail tags are available at bike shops, sporting goods stores (like Meijers) and many gas stations. You'll need these. Spark arrestors are recommended, but you can *likely* run the whole trail without handguards.

Hope to see you there.

Not an "official" ride like the last one, but there will be an unofficial gathering of Italian bike owners at Evart on Sunday May 21. Cherries popping on a 250RE and a 300RE expected ...

20 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

Not an "official" ride like the last one, but there will be an unofficial gathering of Italian bike owners at Evart on Sunday May 21. Cherries popping on a 250RE and a 300RE expected ...

How about a 390RE??? Oh well, I have to work anyways.

Kennedy

Edited by hollywood_72

On 5/19/2017 at 1:04 AM, motoxgiant said:

Two 300REs actually, along with the 250RE. First world problems when my 2016 350RE was the oldest bike in the group.

• Like 1