KTM... the best bike ever !!!!

Jealousy is a very damaging emotion

• Like 3

The whole reed cage issue was started by Jeff Slavens. Now some take what Jeff says as gospel, but quite a few people have not had an issue with the reed cages. So is it a problem or not? I guess that depends on the individual. I believe that more KTM 2 stroke owners have had issues with the Mikuni carb than reed cages.

• Like 2

Thread is still up. And this is hilarious. Their frames are strong as steel but it sounds like everything else is made out of tin.

That's funny most of the comments im reading are saying KTM backs up their product by fixing the issues fo free. Haters gonna hate.
  • Like 3

There could be an issue thread like that started for just about every major brand. Haters gonna hate. 

Yamaha has the frame crack issue, some 250FX's had ECU/wiring issues, new Honda 450r's had some cases crack from a backfire issue, KTM/Husky has all kinds of randomness...the list goes on. 

• Like 1

Nothing to see, really. Every brand has their own issues. I actually can't think of 1 major brand that hasn't had an issue beaten to death on the forums. I'm not even a KTM guy but they are putting out a good product right now. Anyone that says otherwise is either hating or blind to reality.

• Like 3

KTM does have a good product.  Like many companies, they have problems.  Like many companies, they either stand up and handle it, or stick their head in the sand, whatevers best for them.

I personally got friggin burned 10 years ago when I sold a perfectly running and solid Yamaha and bought a 2008 KTM 450.     The amount of money I paid in my failed attempt to keep that bike running is only exceeded by money I paid in therapy after being so pissed off and broke.   It drove me to two strokes for a while.   While I really like KTM and still ride them, I will never again buy a first generation model of anything that they build.    They push the envelope (which I like) and there is some risk there.

Whatever is going on, and I don't know that there is,  I hope that they step up and handle it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

That's funny most of the comments im reading are saying KTM backs up their product by fixing the issues fo free. Haters gonna hate.

Interesting post....

A handful of failures out of thousands of units sold does not prove serial defect, at least not to me.

With all due respect to the OP, you are naïve to think this will never happen just because you ride one brand or another. These are high performance machines, operating in hostile environments, being maintained by non-professionals (in most cases) so something is going to let go eventually. 

I have recent, first-hand experience with major failures on Yamaha (2014 YZ250F shift assembly failure @ 17 hours, $2100) and Honda (2015 CRF450 5th gear failure @ 9 hours, $2000) and neither OEM would answer my calls. I have yet to suffer a KTM failure but from what I have read on various forums it appears that they do a better job of supporting their customers than any of the Japanese OEMs.

• Like 1

Meh, lightweight bikes are more likely to fail. 

Every manufacture has their problems, more sales, more chances of problems.

I broke a stock XR400R.  I snapped the piston rings on my stock XR400R after about a year.  Pumped out smoke like I was doing mosquito abatement.  Good thing I bought the extended warrantee.  The shop fixed it.  They did put in too much oil.  I had to drain over half a quart.  Checking the oil on XR400s is tricky.

Edited by Kev_XR
  • Like 3

I'm not jumping on the KTMs suck bandwagon but the only people I hear complaining about them at the track are KTM owners.

8 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I have yet to suffer a KTM failure but from what I have read on various forums it appears that they do a better job of supporting their customers than any of the Japanese OEMs.

You mean besides rebuilding your  KTM transmission every other year?

As stated above, all bikes have issues from time to time.  Generally it's just best to not throw stones from your glass house. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

You mean besides rebuilding your  KTM transmission every other year?

As stated above, all bikes have issues from time to time.  Generally it's just best to not throw stones from your glass house. 

Go back and read my post again big guy. You may even have to read it twice (yamaowners are slow)  but I think you'll see whybrid your post about my bike makes no cents at all.   Not even $0.02

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Go back and read my post again big guy. You may even have to read it twice (yamaowners are slow)  but I think you'll see whybrid your post about my bike makes no cents at all.   Not even $0.02

Let's not get defensive Squiddy, it was your story.   My point is that bashing brands is kinda stupid, not sure you would understand. 

11 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

They must have literally no quality control to let shit like that through...

QC comes in programming of the welding bots ;)

• Like 1