2003 RM 250 Problems

Hi guys,

I'm new here so hello. I'm having issues with my bike and can't figure out what. I have rode 5-6 times this year and it has ran great. I rode 2 weekends ago and for like 30 min it ran fine then it starting falling on its face at 1/2(ish) to full throttle. I changed the plug it did nothing, I checked the main because i thought it got clogged and was running lean, that was not it. Then I researched a bit and thought the right crank seal was bad sucking in tranny oil and causing it to be rich. So I changed that and it did nothing. So then I thought it was the reeds so I took those out and they look ok. So now I think its a electrical issue. I tested the coil and stator like it says in my manual and the resistance was in spec for everything. The stator one of the checks said it could be from like 22-46 ohm and mine read like 46.6 ohm. Would that be a big problem? I feel like their is a slight chance it could be the power valve but 2 years ago when I rebuilt the bike I took it all apart and cleaned it.

I feel like the bog when at full throttle sounds like you are pinned holding the kill switch but that's just me.

I'm really at a loss. Can your electrical system check out but still be bad? I'm getting frustrated.

Thanks

I would really like to know also can your coil and stator check out but still be bad?

Is their something else I should check?

Despite looking 'OK', reeds loose tension with use, they are a wear item just like a piston & rings.

Too high a float/fuel level will make the engine run richer.

If stuck closed, a non-functional powervalve will make the engine fall flat at higher rpms.

mlatour, Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. I talked to a buddy of mine that used to work on a suzuki shop and said he would start with new reeds. He said most times they go bad before they break. 

So I bought some parts today. I found a whole oem reed set on ebay that the guy said had 2 hrs on for 50 bucks. So I bought that. I also found a guy selling everything electrical for my bike, CDI, coil, stator, flywheel and wires for 200 shipped. I figured for 250 bucks I should have most of my bases covered. And if I dont need some of the stuff  I will have extras. Im going to start with the reeds then move to the coil then the stator. Also I am going to clean the carb and put new vent tubes on it. 

Thanks guys Ill keep you updated

Ok guys bad news. I replaced the Reeds, ignition coil, stator, cdi, and the wiring harness and no help. It still does the same thing. I changed the main and took the main out and sprayed it and put it back in. 

I took one of the side covers off the power valve and turned it with a screw driver and it opened and closed easily. Maybe its not opening far enough I dont know. Tomorrow I want to try to unplug the kill switch and see if thats it. Then I will take the carb apart again and spray the inside all out.     

I just really dont know I replaced everything electrical. Im so confused. 

I know there has to be a Suzuki lover out there that wants to see a bike get back to running great.

I will even include a pic. Its has 92 replica graphics. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by lcgordon711

I have. I did not change the jetting. It ran good then it ran bad all of a sudden. When I got home I changed my main from a 158 to a 155. No difference. Tomorrow I'm going to take the carb off take the jets out and spray it all out. Then I'll change the jets to richen it up. 

I just don't know I don't get it. 

Don't start changing things until you figure out the issue. You're adding different variables with each thing you change. Clean carb 100%. Thats easy and most common problem. Go back to original jetting setup. You can change other things later after you get it tuned correctly. Check fuel flow from tank, etc.

Hey I appreciate the comments. This morning  am going to go get a gallon of fresh gas mixed up. Maybe just maybe I have some bad gas. Then im going to take the carb out and clean it. Clean it really good then try. Then I will try changing main jets leaner than richer.

Next steps to try after that

Unplug the kill switch and run the bike( not sure if that would let the bike run or not)

Try a different silencer maybe something is clogged

try running with the choke on to richen it 

I cant think of anything else.

Things I have done. Checked fuel flow.(4inch piece of hose does not seem to be clogged.)

Taken the main out and sprayed it and went 1 leaner main also.

New carb vent hoses. I bought these before the problem anyways

New right side crank seal. This whole process was about 40 bucks so no big deal.

New cdi, stator, coil, and wiring harness. I would not have got these because just a stator is 280 bucks new but on ebay I found a guy selling everything for 200 bucks total and was worried he was going to sell so I bought it. Will not hurt to have extra stuff. 

New reeds. They look almost brand new guy on ebay said 2hrs on them. 50 bucks. Mine are 13 years old so did not hurt to change them.

I took the left side cover off the powervalve where you can adjust the spring and put a screw driver in and turned it. When looking in the exhaust hole I could see the valves moving with ease. Not sure if they opened far enough tho. 

When changing the stator I lined up the timing marks.

Im not usually the person to throw part at it but It just did not make sense to be the carb. The bike was running good then it was running bad. Its not like the bike sat or something. Plus usually when the carb gets clogged its the pilot jet because of how much smaller it is. I dont know I should have done a super clean 1st thing but I did not. 

Anything else that anybody can think of to do would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

So I went out changed the gas. Cleaned the carb and Tried to set the float. I dont really understand how to set it. 

Put a 160 instead of a 158 and it seemed to do better. Then tried a 162. It seemed to hit low then bog mid then it would clean out higher. 

So I riched the the needle one clip and it seemed to run better until really high end. I would pin it in second and it would bog high and I would shit into third and it would go again. I just dont understand Ive got jetting in that used to run better than this. Im going to change the plug again and also swap silencers. Maybe the one thats on it is clogged a bit. 

I also kinda wonder if the crank seal was bad and I kept trying to lean it out and then now that I fixed that it is too lean. I dont know just a thought.

Well good news guys I figured it out. My buddy told me to try my other silencer. He read one guy had this problem and his packing was caught in his spark arrestor. Well I put on my other one and man she rips. Its all better. I put it all back together and Is good to go. I took apart the silencer and the sa was full of oil and packing fibers. So I got out my torch and burnt it all out. Looks new again. 

Well Im going to try not to think about the 300 dollars I dropped and just be happy Its running. Also I got some new parts to keep incase something goes bad. I still need to figure out the jetting better. I dont know why my bike had that much crap coming out the exhaust. I worry about going too lean and blowing the bike up.