Rear tire replacement

Ya. Your gonna want it centered in your swing arm. Otherwise it's gonna track weird. And your chain will be at an angle between the sprockets.

Ya. Your gonna want it centered in your swing arm. Otherwise it's gonna track weird. And your chain will be at an angle between the sprockets.

Is there a certain way to do it or a tool?

There is this tool 08-0048_alt1.jpg

personally I just measure the adjustment blocks versus end of swingarm distance on each side and visually confirm the chain is centered on the sprockets.

48 minutes ago, Alex_3401 said:

Is there a certain way to do it or a tool?

just use the indexed marks on the tension blocks. If yours don't have any or they're worn away, you can also count threads on the tension bolts. Alignment is part of tensioning your chain. 

• Like 1

I have checked alignment marks with a measuring tape: from the center of the pivot bolt to the back mark on the end of the swingarm.  do this on each side.  they should be the same.  If they aren't I sometimes remark them if I can do it in such a way that it isnt confusing.  If they are off and I can't remark,  I just continue to use the tape from the center of the pivot bolt to the center of the axle.   Measure tapes seem to be everywhere,   cool little tools that get bent are not so available to me. 

• Like 2

As posted most bikes have a mark on the blocks and indexed marks on the frame. I usually use a thin tipped permanent marker to mark the spot on both sides of the frame.

DSCF2727.jpg&key=e1cecd4013a7cc46ac83f4e

Then obviously with the bike on a stand,

I re-install the wheel and I just snug the axle nut by hand, then I set the blocks to the same marks and just snug up the nuts on the adjuster bolts.

Then while spinning  the rear tire, press down on the rear brake pedal until the rear brake set.

Then I push the back end down so the rear tire doesn't spin and tighten the axle nut, then tighten the adjuster nuts/bolts.

Then I'll spin the rear wheel while looking from behind and make sure the wheel is straight BUT you might get a little wobble of the rim or rear disk is bent.

Unless I'm replacing the drive train, chain should be OK but I check with the bike on the ground.

When I replace my rear tire I remove both adjustment bolts, clean the threads and re-install with ant-seize.

Then I'll check adjustment bolts and axle nut after the first ride.

Sounds complicated writing this and I'm sure your bike manual and or youtube explains all this :)

Edited by filterx