Jump to content

FCR slide and radial caliper adapter drawings

Recommended Posts

I have the material needed, and the machinery to make lots of things for my bike.

Two things I've been searching for the past time but with no luck are these;

A. FCR slide ( if I'm not mistaking, 39 to 41 carbs have the same plate, same goes for slant or MX type?)

B. Radial caliper adapter. ( any type to have something to start from, and I will adjust dimensions according to desired caliper)

In the past a TT member has provided me with a cad file of a relocator bracket for the stock S caliper to work with a 310 rotor.

It has worked flawlessly for 3 years now, but it's time for an upgrade.

If anyone has any idea where I can get any of these, I would be very grateful...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you sound like me.  I have a few projects right now,  but I was thinking of just going on ebay etc and buy a radial caliper and start "imagining"  please post anything you do!:ride:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ossagp said:

I was thinking of just going on ebay etc and buy a radial caliper and start "imagining"  please post anything you do!:ride:

Same here...

But there's always a great chance of not getting it right the first few times, and I neither have the time luxury, nor the alloy blocks to spend in failed efforts.

I was hoping someone has already done it before me and has the good will to share it...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Acd_ex said:

Same here...

But there's always a great chance of not getting it right the first few times, and I neither have the time luxury, nor the alloy blocks to spend in failed efforts.

I was hoping someone has already done it before me and has the good will to share it...

 

Me too.  I hope your thread flushes them out.  There is a guy up here who is one of those friends of a friend of a friend who has some twisted bikes who told one of the grapevine he has some USD's that are trashed but the calipers are good.  Soon I want to hook up with him and see what pattern they mount on etc and probably pick up what he has if he isn't too over the moon on price.   a 50 dollar deal and I would spring for it now and play with it later.  my recipient is going to be my KLR 650.  I have a 320 disk conversion with the stock caliper and it needs lots more.  I have some KYB usds from a yamaha I intend to use when I make the swap.  Got lots of others in the shed,  but the Kawasaki stem can work with the yamaha clamps more easily.  I can knurl it and press it in.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have a pile of calipers , USD forks from all the Japanese brands from a few models and had always thought of making adaptors myself , all it takes is time , time, time . The worst is setting up in one of the cnc's on my break and not getting done, then the machine is needed before the end of the day when I can finish .

 

.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calipers acquired.

Donor bike; GSX-R K7 750

I know they might be a bit heavy, and also I might need a spacer under the rotor to avoid the caliper hitting the spokes, but hell, it's no competition bike, just my fun machine, so why not...

Let's see if anyone has something ready for those, or any similar, and how I could customize it to fit my needs :ride:

22 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

 I have a pile of calipers , USD forks from all the Japanese brands from a few models and had always thought of making adaptors myself , all it takes is time , time, time . The worst is setting up in one of the cnc's on my break and not getting done, then the machine is needed before the end of the day when I can finish .

 

.

Time is the most important factor, and the least available at the same time... :(

 

23 hours ago, ossagp said:

Me too.  I hope your thread flushes them out.  There is a guy up here who is one of those friends of a friend of a friend who has some twisted bikes who told one of the grapevine he has some USD's that are trashed but the calipers are good.  Soon I want to hook up with him and see what pattern they mount on etc and probably pick up what he has if he isn't too over the moon on price.   a 50 dollar deal and I would spring for it now and play with it later.  my recipient is going to be my KLR 650.  I have a 320 disk conversion with the stock caliper and it needs lots more.  I have some KYB usds from a yamaha I intend to use when I make the swap.  Got lots of others in the shed,  but the Kawasaki stem can work with the yamaha clamps more easily.  I can knurl it and press it in.  

I have seen lots of radial pairs on eBay from US sellers for a lot less than 50$, but postage to Greece is so expensive, it makes the purchase pointless.

US residents should have no trouble getting some for peanuts.

Last time round, I found a pair out of a ZX10, including master cylinder (only fluid reservoir was missing) for 20$...

Needed another 75$ for P&P :banghead:

17426002_10154471708030886_2411780099144224860_n.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in anchorage Alaska,  which isn't as far from those as you are,  but similar freight and ability to go look.  That is why getting to pick over a pile of parts with the calipers mounted has a taste all of it's own to me.   I built quite a few adapters to the conventional forks,  both leading axle and inline axles,  but so far none to USD's.   And none to "radial" calipers.  So being able to see a full on installation from the factory and study it or bring all the pieces to the shop has a real allure for me.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

 I have a pile of calipers , USD forks from all the Japanese brands from a few models and had always thought of making adaptors myself , all it takes is time , time, time . The worst is setting up in one of the cnc's on my break and not getting done, then the machine is needed before the end of the day when I can finish .

 

.

When you decide to do it, keep us both informed.  I have to get back on building a house pretty quick as the weather is warming up here.  But I am going to try to go scratch out some time and get some pieces and probably get a tinkering retired friend to give it some attention too.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dug up the drawing X-Brit sent me a few years ago.

A relocator for the S model, to use with a 310 rotor and stock caliper, which I'm actually using for 4 years now.

I'm now trying to customize the caliper side, while keeping the fork mounting side as is, since I know it's fine.

My Cad skills are below beginner, so it might take me a while.

I'll get the measurements from the caliper and see what I can do.

 

 

P.S.; I tried attaching the drawing here, but it's not a supported type... :foul:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

If it's dwg you can email it to me , I have AutoCad, Inventer , and Solid Works .

 

.

I can do that anytime you like, if you want to mess with it or keep it for future reference.

I wouldn't want to take some of the little free time I know you have, but really appreciate you offering so     :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

 

 

For the current project, I found a friend who can handle 3D well enough to help me.

Here's my adapter (left) and a model of the caliper my friend dug up from the net (right).

17670589_10154478404008450_570061943_o.jpg

 

 

 

The next are possible fitting positions of the two, to get the brake pad correctly on the rotor, and also have enough material on the adapter where the threaded holes of the caliper mounting bolts will be.

The round part is the contact surface of the rotor to the pad.

 

17670689_10154479769758450_612410009_o.jpg17692773_10154479769708450_1839944584_o.jpg

 

 

After the optimal position is determined, the adapter will be extended and customized properly to make the mounting possible.

Alloy to be used is 7075 aluminum.

Any thoughts or ideas, please feel free to share! :ride:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first one is always the hardest :thumbsup:  When you hold a caliper up to the disc on the bike and see where it'll work it looks simple , till you have to come up with exact number and correct offsets , then where to start machining ect.. I wish I had my own cnc mill at home to work on things like this here and there rather than needing to get it done asap to free up the machine.

 

.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, looks like my friend works a lot better and faster than I expected. :thumbsup:

 

A test to make sure new adapter won't hit the caliper brackets.

17668724_10154480494193450_374239463_o.jpg

 

And the model is ready

17668754_10154480494043450_531559088_o.jpg17572076_10154480493998450_328946716_o.jpg17622343_10154480494143450_143021433_o.jpg17693124_10154480494003450_1798293553_o.jpg

 

I'm planning to 3D print a test model to see how it fits the bike and what modifications it might need.

And most important, if the caliper will hit the spokes.

Actually, to be more accurate, how much it will hit the spokes...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a radial mount bracket several years ago when updating the front wheel and brakes.  I only had 1 block of 6061 that was the correct size so I took my time.  The pad options are so much better when using a current sport bike caliper.

Good luck with your upgrade.

aIMG_6249c.jpg

aIMG_6269c.jpg

DRZ front bracket2.jpg

Edited by Radtech
spelling
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Radtech said:

I made a radial mount bracket several years ago when updating the front wheel and brakes.  I only had 1 black of 6061 that was the correct size so I took my time.  The pad options are so much better when using a current sport bike caliper.

Good luck with your upgrade.

aIMG_6249c.jpg

aIMG_6269c.jpg

DRZ front bracket2.jpg

HEY CRAIG!!!! So many have left and the site has changed......didn't know you were still trolling, hahahha. Guess I could have emailed, but have been busy. Hell of a winter this year....

Nice pics of your work, and I know that baby worked great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2017 at 7:50 AM, Acd_ex said:

I can do that anytime you like, if you want to mess with it or keep it for future reference.

I wouldn't want to take some of the little free time I know you have, but really appreciate you offering so     :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

 

 

For the current project, I found a friend who can handle 3D well enough to help me.

Here's my adapter (left) and a model of the caliper my friend dug up from the net (right).

17670589_10154478404008450_570061943_o.jpg

 

 

 

The next are possible fitting positions of the two, to get the brake pad correctly on the rotor, and also have enough material on the adapter where the threaded holes of the caliper mounting bolts will be.

The round part is the contact surface of the rotor to the pad.

 

 

 

After the optimal position is determined, the adapter will be extended and customized properly to make the mounting possible.

Alloy to be used is 7075 aluminum.

Any thoughts or ideas, please feel free to share! :ride:

Any annotation for that CAD model? :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adapter.jpg.0997f113b275eadfabbc102eea6cef5f.jpg

Caliper adapter ready.

Printed in composite material, strong enough to thread the holes and test position.

Unfortunately, the caliper hits the spokes a lot more than I expected.

Should need more than 10mm added space to get in position.

Combined with the fact that the S conventional fork is too wide near the wheel shaft and there's no room for a rotor spacer to gain some extra space for the caliper, it makes the whole project impossible.

Tried all possible solutions (or so I think) and none gave results.

Swapping to a 320 rotor wouldn't help either, the wheel's geometry shows that easily.

Tokico calipers and S front fork with SM rims and 310 rotor are NOT compatible.

 

Options from here on;

Α. Change rims to alloy to gain space.

B. Find an SM 4pots caliper that's a lot more compact in size, especially in thickness.

C. Change the whole front fork.

 

A. Already have a RGV250 set in mind, maybe I'll give it a shot if I can get a 320 rotor for it.

B. Calipers like that (stock Husaberg or Beringer) are a bit expensive, so not a very possible solution for now...

C. I'm thinking about it... :devil:

 

 

 

On 2/4/2017 at 3:34 AM, Radtech said:

I made a radial mount bracket several years ago when updating the front wheel and brakes.  I only had 1 block of 6061 that was the correct size so I took my time.  The pad options are so much better when using a current sport bike caliper.

Good luck with your upgrade.

aIMG_6249c.jpg

aIMG_6269c.jpg

DRZ front bracket2.jpg

Sweet setup mate!!!

Your alloy rim and offset rotor gives you plenty of space.

What kind of rims are these?

 

 

On 2/4/2017 at 7:25 PM, Bermudacat said:

Any annotation for that CAD model? :D

Not sure I follow...:facepalm:

Please let me know what kind of annotations you need!

Edited by Acd_ex
Spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Acd_ex said:

Adapter.jpg.0997f113b275eadfabbc102eea6cef5f.jpg

Caliper adapter ready.

Printed in composite material, strong enough to thread the holes and test position.

Unfortunately, the caliper hits the spokes a lot more than I expected.

Should need more than 10mm added space to get in position.

Combined with the fact that the S conventional fork is too wide near the wheel shaft and there's no room for a rotor spacer to gain some extra space for the caliper, it makes the whole project impossible.

Tried all possible solutions (or so I think) and none gave results.

Swapping to a 320 rotor wouldn't help either, the wheel's geometry shows that easily.

Tokico calipers and S front fork with SM rims and 310 rotor are NOT compatible.

 

Options from here on;

Α. Change rims to alloy to gain space.

B. Find an SM 4pots caliper that's a lot more compact in size, especially in thickness.

C. Change the whole front fork.

 

A. Already have a RGV250 set in mind, maybe I'll give it a shot if I can get a 320 rotor for it.

B. Calipers like that (stock Husaberg or Beringer ) are a bit expensive, so not a very possible solution for now...

C. I'm thinking about it... :devil:

 

 

 

Sweet setup mate!!!

Your alloy rim and offset rotor gives you plenty of space.

What kind of rims are these?

 

 

Not sure I follow...:facepalm:

Please let me know what kind of annotations you need!

Nice job with the printed bracket  :thumbsup:  My prototype was a piece of aluminum angle to find the proper location, effective but not nearly as high tech.

Alloy wheels can be a nice upgrade, the RGV250 wheels would be great.  My front wheel is a forged magnesium BBS race wheel that only weighs 4.9 lbs (without bearings).  That was the initial drive for the upgrade.  I run a CBR600 rear wheel with the cush drive and that works very well for street use, much nicer than the stock wire wheels.  

Your list of options looks good, there are calipers that will work with the wire wheels, however as you mention, they are expensive.  The 320mm Brembo rotor, Yamaha caliper, 14mm master cylinder, aluminum and related bearings only cost about $200 for the front set-up that I have, I had no intention of dropping big money on this.  I already had the wheel.  I wanted to run a Brembo caliper, but was not able to find any radial mount Brembo calipers at a reasonable price.  The Yamaha caliper is light and there are a lot of pad options. 

The RGV wheels might be the easier path for you.  There is a lot of "hooligan mod" info about guys that have swapped to alloy wheels.  Just search "Hooligan Mod" and you will find them if you have not already done this.  Changing the forks sounds like more money and work to get set up correctly.  Regardless of the direction you take, it seems that you can handle the job.  Good luck with the project and post up photos of your progress.

 

IMAG0900_sm.thumb.jpg.67de60068ac441ab9e36aef58252eff1.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Acd_ex said:

Adapter.jpg.0997f113b275eadfabbc102eea6cef5f.jpg

Caliper adapter ready.

Printed in composite material, strong enough to thread the holes and test position.

Unfortunately, the caliper hits the spokes a lot more than I expected.

Should need more than 10mm added space to get in position.

Combined with the fact that the S conventional fork is too wide near the wheel shaft and there's no room for a rotor spacer to gain some extra space for the caliper, it makes the whole project impossible.

Tried all possible solutions (or so I think) and none gave results.

Swapping to a 320 rotor wouldn't help either, the wheel's geometry shows that easily.

Tokico calipers and S front fork with SM rims and 310 rotor are NOT compatible.

 

Options from here on;

Α. Change rims to alloy to gain space.

B. Find an SM 4pots caliper that's a lot more compact in size, especially in thickness.

C. Change the whole front fork.

 

A. Already have a RGV250 set in mind, maybe I'll give it a shot if I can get a 320 rotor for it.

B. Calipers like that (stock Husaberg or Beringer ) are a bit expensive, so not a very possible solution for now...

C. I'm thinking about it... :devil:

 

 

 

Sweet setup mate!!!

Your alloy rim and offset rotor gives you plenty of space.

What kind of rims are these?

 

 

Not sure I follow...:facepalm:

Please let me know what kind of annotations you need!

The criteria to machine and inspect the finished part with.

http://www.cadcamlab.org/courseware/PDFs/Functional Tolerancing and Annotation.pdf

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2017 at 7:06 AM, Bermudacat said:

The criteria to machine and inspect the finished part with.

http://www.cadcamlab.org/courseware/PDFs/Functional Tolerancing and Annotation.pdf

Now I got it.

Actually, there are two paths possible for me.

A. Have a friend that's a designer to stress test it for me with the proper software.

B. Just be positive everything is ok! :thumbsup:

 

Actually, I was going to use the same (or better) alloy than most manufacturers do, and already have compared it through photos and sketches I found online to be a lot thicker in every dimension than every aftermarket similar part.

Still, the simulation would be a good way to double-check all above...

Plus, I was going to modify the model with a few reinforcements where I believe are needed, not seen in the test model that was good enough just for the position testing.

Edited by Acd_ex
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×