Leaking countershaft seal / front sprocket

Hi guys.

First post here after lurking for a while ūüôĄ

My front sprocket is leaking. I've read all about the locktite fix. I have yet not done anything.
I don't have a 30mm top (arrives tomorrow), so I haven't been able to verify if the sprocket bolt can be tightened. But it is not "finger loose" at least.

I am ordering new seal, o-ring, spacer and screws.

Now to the question: I have some off-road training coming up tomorrow and a 200km gravel trip on Sunday. Parts won't arrive before next week.

If I verify that the bolt holding the sprocket is not loose - and hence the leak must be due to seal/o-ring failure - how slow/fast will it usually develop from here? Right now it is a few drops after turning off a warm engine. Think it will only worsen slowly or can it suddenly start pissing oil all-over? :jawdrop:

Thanks in advance,

Denmark

are you ordering online or via shop, one or the other may get it to you faster, i fyou decide to ride on it make sure you bring some extra oil and check levels consistently.  I can tell you from personal exp that slow oil leaks that go overlooked can turn very expensive very quickly, an oil starved engine will kill your buzz faster than amy shumer 

• Like 3

Typically it is expected to not significantly increase leak rate in a few hundred kms. However there is no guarantee of that.  The oil seal at the countershaft sprocket is under oil system pressure.  So if the seal gets worse, the leak will change from a drip to a flood.  Loose nut really has nothg to do with leak unless the nut comes completely off. So in this case it is a seal problem.

• Like 1

Have you pulled the sprocket? I know there is collar or spacer between the counter sprocket and the bearing. Perhaps you could pull that out and get a look at the seal?

Maybe you could make a "go  no go" decision if you see the seal / collar?  Could you just have some dirt that is causing the seal to leak? Or is the seal shredded? Or is the collar sealing surface hosed? It gets lots of abuse.

It is a tough call. From what I have seen when that thing lets go . . . .  it lets go. But you could maybe get some info to base your decision.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moccamaster said:

Thank you for the valuable input. I will cancel the 200km trip and just do shorter trips, where I can return home easy. 

Sure . . . . my "New to me DRZ400e (2001)" is giving me ample opportunity to re hone my mechanic skills . . . . .  they say life is the journey . . . good luck 

• Like 1