How to save the bike for about an year

I need to put my bike in the garage for about an year and I will not be able to ride it.

I need ideas about how to save the bike - engine, suspension, etc.

The only thing I have in mind is to start it once in a month till it's warm and to shut it down.

Note that my front forks are from Kx450f  2013 - kayaba pneumatic forks.

Edited by phatsmall

- drain the fuel tank to below 1/4 level. Put fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank.  Tip the bike back-forth to mix.

- drain the carburetor.  detach the fuel line from the carburetor to drain the hose. reattach.

- change the oil, put in a decent grade conventional oil - NO synthetic.

- after the above.  Start the bike.  Let it idle and warm up to a good normal temperature.  work the clutch handle to get fresh new oil into the plate pack.

- shut off the bike.  close the fuel valve.  plug the fuel tank vent line (from the fill cap) by putting a thick nail or screw in the end of it.  

- remove the seat and air filter.  spray a fogging oil (WD40 etc) into the carburetor throat. Open the throttle so play goes up and spay in some more.  put liberal coat of oil on the air filter. Replace the air filter and seat.

- plug all the carburator vent lines either by group bagging and wrapping them or plug each with a nail/screw in the end.

- plug the crankcase vent

The point of all above is to coat and preserve, then to prevent oxygen and moisture from the air getting in anywhere that it can cause a problem.

- clean up all your tools, rags, etc.

- walk away and go do whatever you need to do for a year or three or five.

If you do the above "lay-up" - do NOT start the bike monthly.  Do not touch it until you are ready to take it out and regularly ride again.

If you do not do the above lay-up.  You will still need to use the fuel stabilizer and still need to plug the tank vent.  Starting it monthly will get you by for 3- to 5 months.  Beyond that, it is probably doing more harm than good as oxygen ingress and other condensates accumulation in the engine when not being run as a normal ride

There is nothing to do wrt the suspension and rest of the bike other than to store it in a place that protects it from the sun and the elements.  In a shed or tarp/cover and wrap it ... but not sealed, allow it to be dry and drafty.

Hope that helps!

Edited by FaceDeAce
  • Like 1

When you later take it out of storage.  Remove all of the vent plugs, don't forget any.  Fill the tank to full with fresh gas and go for a casual ride for a couple hours.  Change the oil after that first ride.  At that point, everything is back to normal ... grip and rip.

Edited by FaceDeAce

I will check for fuel stabilizer, as I have never bought this product before.

I will put it into the fuel and will start the bike be sure that all the system(pump, 2 injectors) is full with stabilized fuel.

I have one thing to share - I think will be better to fill the tank up to the top, then will leave less oxygen with the fuel.

Hope when I fix my knee I will be able to come back and ride again!

Thanks for the help FaceTheAce !

Yes, that is a great idea.  I was going to mention that, just a little worried of forgetting about it and blowing up  the clutch later.   If you are up to it and will not forget, consider pulling the clutch springs.  Put them in a plastic bag and tape it to the centre of the handlebars so you do not forget them.  Pull just the springs, put the end cap and bolts back in.

You can pull the springs without draining the oil.  Lay the bike down on its side on the ground.  you can pull the cover and do clutch work without spilling a single drop of oil.