Ttr 125 won't start

I bought a 2006 ttr 125 from a guy a few weeks ago and it started first kick at the guys house. After bringing it home it will not start except when I clean out the carb and even then it rarely starts. I have cleaned the carb 2 or 3 times already and it only starts when I clean it out. I cleaned out the jets, checked the bowl, emptied the gas tank and put clean gas in and it will only start every once in a while. Once it starts it idles and rides fine. I just can't seem to get it started and it's pretty frustrating. So do I need new jets or is it something else in the carb? I am ready to go cry in a corner....

Can you check the compression?  Check valve clearance too.  This bike should be easy to pull the cover and evaluate.  Have you tried new plug?

Can you check the compression?  Check valve clearance too.  This bike should be easy to pull the cover and evaluate.  Have you tried new plug?

The plug has spark when I ground it to a metal surface and a guy I know checked the compression and said it was fine. He also adjusted the valves but he also said it was most likely something with my carb. I am not sure what else I can besides keep cleaning it. Like I said I cleaned the jets and sprayed out everything else inside. The guy I bought it from had it sitting for a few months and I wonder if the gas sat inside the carb and maybe disintegrated something, if that's even possible.

Your bike has a plugged choke circuit (starting circuit) in the carb. This is very common on the ttr 125 when the bike sits with gas in the carb for any length of time.

Don't be confused thinking this has anything to do with the pilot circuit (idle circuit) or a plugged pilot jet, which is a completely different part of your carb.

The mikuni vm20ss carb which you have has  a choke circuit which is very prone to plugging up if the bike sits with gas in the carb for more than a couple of weeks, always drain the float bowl if the bike is not being used weekly.

The float bowl has a  " well " built into it, with a small tiny orifice leading up into the carb body to feed the STARTING CIRCUIT (CHOKE CIRCUIT) to repeat this has nothing to do with the pilot circuit or pilot jet.

The orifice (passage way) in the float bowl is plugged which is why your bike wont start with a cold engine.

This gets asked every three months on here, and if you do a search there are many many threads on this problem. A gentleman did an excellent video on this problem and how to clean the passageway which is plugged on your carb. Do a search on here for the video.

Your bike has a plugged choke circuit (starting circuit) in the carb. This is very common on the ttr 125 when the bike sits with gas in the carb for any length of time.
 Don't be confused thinking this has anything to do with the pilot circuit (idle circuit) or a plugged pilot jet, which is a completely different part of your carb.
The mikuni vm20ss carb which you have has  a choke circuit which is very prone to plugging up if the bike sits with gas in the carb for more than a couple of weeks, always drain the float bowl if the bike is not being used weekly.
The float bowl has a  " well " built into it, with a small tiny orifice leading up into the carb body to feed the STARTING CIRCUIT (CHOKE CIRCUIT) to repeat this has nothing to do with the pilot circuit or pilot jet.
The orifice (passage way) in the float bowl is plugged which is why your bike wont start with a cold engine.
This gets asked every three months on here, and if you do a search there are many many threads on this problem. A gentleman did an excellent video on this problem and how to clean the passageway which is plugged on your carb. Do a search on here for the video.

I have seen the video but a guy I was talking to said to never use a drill bit on any hole, it will only widen it up. So how else is someone supposed to open up the hole?

soak the float bowl and carb body in automotive carb cleaner, go to your local automotive parts supplier and buy a gallon of carb cleaner, soak the float bowl for 48 hours (completely immersed) in carb cleaner to soften up the blockadge. Then if you cannot see light through the orifice (use backlight) flashlight or whatever, run a very very small diameter wire through the orifice to clear the blockadge. Only run the wire through the passageway after soaking it for a period of time.

Don't just buy a aerosol can of carb cleaner and blast away at it , it wont work, it has to soak for a while, immersed.

You ar right never drill out anything on a carb like a passageway or jet, they are a certain size for a reason.

soak the float bowl and carb body in automotive carb cleaner, go to your local automotive parts supplier and buy a gallon of carb cleaner, soak the float bowl for 48 hours (completely immersed) in carb cleaner to soften up the blockadge. Then if you cannot see light through the orifice (use backlight) flashlight or whatever, run a very very small diameter wire through the orifice to clear the blockadge. Only run the wire through the passageway after soaking it for a period of time.
Don't just buy a aerosol can of carb cleaner and blast away at it , it wont work, it has to soak for a while, immersed.
You ar right never drill out anything on a carb like a passageway or jet, they are a certain size for a reason.

So after I soak the bowl would it be better to just blast out the hole with an air compressor? I'm just not sure if a wire would bend around that curve in the tube

Yes if you have access to an air compressor, try blasting it first with that after soaking it at least overnight. Since  carbs were invented, mechanics have used a piece of wire from a wire brush to clean small openings on carburetors. Take a pair of pliers and pull a wire from a wire brush and use that after soaking the carb.