Rust in gas cap area of tank - worry? Pic

Hey guys, is this something to worry about?

I figure not, lot of filters through the lines and particles small enough to pass those will just be spat out or evaporated. But what do I know :)

20170318_194847.jpg

Problem is that no matter how much you clean it up that flash rust is going to keep coming back.  What does the rest of the inside of the tank look like?  If it is the same you might want to think about a gas tank liner application. 

13 minutes ago, Melkor said:

Problem is that no matter how much you clean it up that flash rust is going to keep coming back.  What does the rest of the inside of the tank look like?  If it is the same you might want to think about a gas tank liner application. 

Thanks. Not sure, tank is currently at paint shop. How do one do a gas tank liner application? 

The gas tank liner is a liquid coating that your pour in and let dry.  There are several brands.  POR15 has a good reputation from what I have read.

If its at the painter talk to him. He may have a few suggestions.  And the prep for the liner is Acetone so you don't want to splash it on your new paint job.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Motorcycle-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit-_p_106.html

• Like 1

The gas tank liner is a liquid coating that your pour in and let dry.  There are several brands.  POR15 has a good reputation from what I have read.
If its at the painter talk to him. He may have a few suggestions.  And the prep for the liner is Acetone so you don't want to splash it on your new paint job.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Motorcycle-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit-_p_106.html

I used por-15 about a year ago when I punctured the tank with a shroud bolt that was too long. Still holding up just fine and no rust inside the tank. Takes 4 days to completely cure, however

That will be fine with just a cleaning or better yet apple cider vinegar let sit for 2 weeks and wash out thorough . After cleaning which ever way ,use some Stabil 360 for a while it creates a vapor to stop rust on tanks above the fuel line. I've had tanks from some old bikes that were considerably worse and the entire inside was like that . 3 weeks filled with the vinegar and they have all come out clean . First couple tanks I added a bit of 2 stroke oil to the gas but otherwise the 2 bikes I still have I'm still using without the rust returning , once rusted they will always have a little brownish tint but not the horrible rust continuing.

What bike is that off ?

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

That will be fine with just a cleaning or better yet apple cider vinegar let sit for 2 weeks and wash out thorough . After cleaning which ever way ,use some Stabil 360 for a while it creates a vapor to stop rust on tanks above the fuel line. I've had tanks from some old bikes that were considerably worse and the entire inside was like that . 3 weeks filled with the vinegar and they have all come out clean . First couple tanks I added a bit of 2 stroke oil to the gas but otherwise the 2 bikes I still have I'm still using without the rust returning , once rusted they will always have a little brownish tint but not the horrible rust continuing.

What bike is that off ?

Its of a drz400sm 2005..rest is in very good condition, was surprised to see that. 

You must have different tanks over there , mine doesn't have the small hole like that , same size straight down. It must have had a bunch of moisture in the gas and it sat for a while . Tanks inside are really just bare steel , it rusts pretty easy but with gas fumes there isn't the oxygen in there that the oxidation process needs , water has it's own oxygen molecules to help rust developer .

17 minutes ago, jjktmrider said:

You must have different tanks over there , mine doesn't have the small hole like that , same size straight down. It must have had a bunch of moisture in the gas and it sat for a while . Tanks inside are really just bare steel , it rusts pretty easy but with gas fumes there isn't the oxygen in there that the oxidation process needs , water has it's own oxygen molecules to help rust developer .

Yea i think it has to do with gas pumps, design of the hole, not sure. Is a little inside rust bad or managable? I dont need pristine interior of gas tank but dont want engine seize either. 

5 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

A little surface rust doesn't hurt anything you just don't want it to continue or get worse  . 

Exactly what i wanted to hear! Thanks!