'15 500EXC airbox panel not staying put

My dad's "new to him" 2015 KTM 500EXC's airbox plastics panel does not snap in all the way.  I line up all the tabs, to the number plate, push in the top, then the bottom.  When the bottom goes in, it pops the top clip out; and visa versa.  I can hold them both in with force, but once I release it pops the bottom out.  Is there something inherently wrong with the design, his bike specifically, or is there an easy fix?  I see some holes that may accept screws, but hard to tell their purpose.

You can secure the cover using a standard KTM bolt 6mm like the shroud bolts, there is a tab at the bottom left with a spot to drill for it. Had it on my 15 just in case and the cover never moved, of course it is no longer "quick" release since you need to pull the bolt just to check it.  Not sure why but on the 17's they moved the mount hole to the top left, I have mine done on the 300 - even shows the bolt in the manual under the air filter maintenance area.

Edited by Mikek671

I saw the places to drill and potentially screw.  Interesting.  The panel looks good, the airbox looks good, nothing looks out of place.  It just doesn't stay in on its own.

You'll have to figure out where the bind is, I have heard of some having to place a washer under the bottom male fastener(to extend it out). Sounds like your bind may be more severe.

its a very snug locking fit, but mine has never popped loose.

Edited by Spud786

You'll have to figure out where the bind is, I have heard of some having to place a washer under the bottom male fastener(to extend it out). Sounds like your bind may be more severe.

+1

What I have done with similar issues like this is to thoroughly clean all the areas where you might have a bind of misalignment of plastic edges....on both surfaces. 

Then using your finger smear a light film of grease on the top surface of all the plastic edges of the air box panel.....then gently and carefully (do not force it) try to fit them together....only go as far as the point where you actually feel contact between the two panels.  Then remove the panel and look for the area where the grease was transferred from the top surface of the air box edges to the top surface of any leading edge protrusion on the air box.  This will be your unwanted point of contact that is forcing the panel to pop out under the pressure of unwanted contact.

Once you've identified where the two parts are making contact...proceed to make whatever modifications you need (bend, shave , heat and re-align the necessary piece of plastic) and your problem should be solved....hopefully.

Worth a shot I expect.

Edited by travertt

I have the same bike with no issues.  Sounds like something is not right, I would suggest you keep looking at it.

I had the same issue on a new to me '15 500 exc. The top of the cover would snap in place but the bottom would pop out as soon as I let go. 

The fix: I pushed the bottom in to where it clicked and used a small plastic clamp to hold it closed then used a heat gun on the plastic. By heating up the plastic it released the tension and when it cooled I removed the clamp and the cover stayed in place as originally designed. Hope that helps.