What trail bike

Hey guys, new person here. I'm planning on getting a new to me bike in the near future. I currently have a dr200 dual sport but want something that is made for trail riding. The trails I would be riding mainly have some rock roots and some mud. My bike sucks for that stuff. I only have about a year of riding experience. I was thinking about a 230 but they are heavy or a kdx 200 or ktm 200 if I can find one for a decent price. And I've never ridden a 2 stroke so I  I don't know if I'm nuts to be thinking about getting one. I don't want a super tall bike unless I can lower it without spending a ton. Im 5'5 and weight about 160. So the question is are those bikes I mentioned any good or what would you suggest? 

I have a 2010 200 xcw that I ride on single track here in Utah, prior to that we rode motocross bikes on the trails and it sucked. The 200 is night and day difference, it will lug along up the gnarliest stuff I can point it up. If you can find one local to you go take a look although they are few and far between usually. Can't really speak on the KDX but I have heard good things about them, especially if you are on a budget. The XC four strokes are pretty good as well but they can't quite lug as well when stuff gets super gnarly.

All the good trail bikes are too tall. Hated my KTM 200 until I lowered and revalved it, now it is wonderful. KDX is quite a bit lower as delivered but heavier and not as well suspended as well. Both can be made to work really well.

• Like 1

I have a wr250f that I am about to list. If you were in Colorado it might be the perfect bike for you. 

Jumping from the 230 to the 250 gives you a lot better bike. Better suspension, better engine, etc. 

if you can find one for a reasonable price you can get a professional lowering job done for under a grand. Or you can buy a link and lower the triple for cheap but I wouldn't recommend it. The cheap way changes the way the bike handles. 

Hey guys, new person here. I'm planning on getting a new to me bike in the near future. I currently have a dr200 dual sport but want something that is made for trail riding. The trails I would be riding mainly have some rock roots and some mud. My bike sucks for that stuff. I only have about a year of riding experience. I was thinking about a 230 but they are heavy or a kdx 200 or ktm 200 if I can find one for a decent price. And I've never ridden a 2 stroke so I  I don't know if I'm nuts to be thinking about getting one. I don't want a super tall bike unless I can lower it without spending a ton. Im 5'5 and weight about 160. So the question is are those bikes I mentioned any good or what would you suggest? 

Beta! Lower seat, e start. Xtrainer or rr. Seat concepts seat gets them even lower. Easy to ride. Amazing bikes.
I'm about your size. I feel your pain.

Except for your size (I don't know what you're capable of handling re weight etc) the kdx is a fantastic, inexpensive choice. And don't worry about the 2t. Its a mild mannered trail bike, not a high strung mx bike. Although it still is a 2t at heart [emoji6]

A KDX is probably one of the best purpose built woods bikes to have been produced.

• Like 2