Cam chain tension

I got a 92 xr600r and want to check the tension on the cam chain. I just cleaned the carb put it back together and is starting on the first kick after I find TDC. Not sure if my cam chain is loose but I want to make sure it's where it needs to be. I've had the bike about 7 years and I haven't checked it.

Any advice would help.

The tensioner is spring loaded and non releasing , meaning it can't loosen unless the rollers or pivot shaft are old and worn , letting it slip. 

• Like 1

The spring thick as balls and lasts 40+ years.
Its the CHAIN that needs a new one every now and then. Id look carefully how far in the tensioners pressing. If the chain loosens, does the tensioner have more space left to swing in and tighten up the chain? If its pushed all the way it obviously cant tighten anymore. But Ive never seen a chain that loose. Doesnt mean I dont feel good having a $20 brand new chain in there. Cheaper than your piston headbutting your valves. Hardest part is removing magneto if you dont have air.

The spring thick as balls and lasts 40+ years.
Its the CHAIN that needs a new one every now and then. Id look carefully how far in the tensioners pressing. If the chain loosens, does the tensioner have more space left to swing in and tighten up the chain? If its pushed all the way it obviously cant tighten anymore. But Ive never seen a chain that loose. Doesnt mean I dont feel good having a $20 brand new chain in there. Cheaper than your piston headbutting your valves. Hardest part is removing magneto if you dont have air.

Is there a way to check to see if the tensioner has been pushed all the way?

Or are there any symptoms of the tensioner being pushed to its limits? Like running rough of miss firing....?

Just look at it. Does it have more room to scoot tighter? Just invest in a new cam chain. Cheap enough. Only hard if you dont have air tools. Youre probably fine tho.
If timing marks are held while flywheel says tdc than nothings happened. Timing would be off if it was bad. And Id hope youd notice it before the piston hits a valve but you most likely will. Chains dont stretch like rubber
If youre holding timing marks at TDC, dont trip and just buy a new cam chain. While youre in there put in a new tensioner spring, its cheap. As long as cam gears teeth are good thats all you need.
Youre worrying too much, buy a new chain and spring and dont worry about that for 30 more years. Spend less than $50 and less than an hour