Picked up a 06 450r

Hey guys new to this forum and just picked myself up a 06 crf450r. Prior to that when I was a kid just had a klx125 nothing special. So quite a jump and I must say I love this bike. However had a few questions to throw or there seeing as I am not very familiar at all with the ins and outs of bikes. He has receipts for the work just recently done which was: piston kit, "hot rod complete", 2x intake valves, 2x crank bearings, dowel pin, counter balancer bearing, and the oil filter. That being said is that "top end"? "Bottom end" or neither? Also he was a much smaller guy and I feel like the suspensions is for his size not mine is there a way to tighten it up or however it's suppose to be done? And then last question is what else or all can I do to this bike? What type of upgrades could I look into getting. Thanks guys! - new (used) crf450r owner Brian ?

IMG_3537.JPG

That is a complete rebuild on the engine. Make sure your changing the oil enough. It's not a pit bike and will wear out rapidly if you treat it as such. Oil changes every 5 hours or so air filter every ride. Buy an hours meter for it if it doest already have one. Engine oil every 5 hours gear oil every ten with oil filter and regarding the suspension you would have to get it revalved but you can adjust your clickers on your forks but if your not track riding it doesn't really matter. Go over the bike and make sure every bolt on the bike is snug. Enjoy it but respect the power.

This is going to sound completely dumb but again going from a pit bike essentially, how do I change all of the different oils and what should I use for this particular bike. I got a good deal on it so it's all trial by fire and I want to treat it proper. Also can I just use lower grade gas or do I have to use something different? I would like to trail ride with it but so far it has just been some local street rides. I want this bike to last so I want to ask everything

There are plenty of videos on oil changes but I would use she'll rotella diesel oil 15 40 it's cheap and works good. You also need to run the highest octane fuel you can get at your local gas station. I always put some in my truck then fill my fuel just to get that 87 out of the line. And since it's a 450 might I mention they overheat very easily especially trail riding. If you are doing fast trail riding you will be fine but anything under 10 mph it will boil over and that reminds me that you need to check your coolant levels. But yah also when you are letting it warm up when you feel the left radiator warm up and get warm to the touch on top put the bike in gear and go cruise and let it warm up good don't just let it sit and idle a lot. It will overheat. 450s aren't meant to be ridden like that so you may need a cooling fan.

Just read, read, read, read and read. And then read some more. You'll find out the dos ans don'ts. It's expensive to own these machines if you don't maitanaince it right. Even more so than it already is. Research everything from air filter stuff to oil to coolant just all of it.

You apparently got yourself a good bike, because almost all of these new threads start out with" I'm having trouble starting my new-to-me 450" . As stated, oil change, filter cleaning is key. Particularly the air filter. I run 90 oct. ethanol free in mine (an '07"), and it runs fine. If you can get ethanol free gas, use it. You look like a fairly big guy, but be careful, these bike's have a lot of ass. You'll end up on yours if you don't respect it. Have fun. Oh, if you don't already have it, get some real riding gear.

Thanks yeah so far so good. Fingers crossed. Already YouTubeing some stuff. All seems fairly simple. Prior to this I had a 98zx6r so I'm used to raw power. The torque on the other hand is a bit more intense not to mention how much lighter it is. Definitely wheelies almost instinctively haha.

Where in Ohio are you located?

I am originally from the SW PA area and visit often during the summer. RiderPlanetUSA is a website which covers the country as far as 'where to ride' is concerned; it shows Ohio as having alot of places to trail and MX. I look forward to visiting some of those places this summer. Check out the website, it's actually fairly up to date and has some detail to it.

My only thing so far if maybe you guys could help me I have a buddy who has a 250. Now I know this is a 450 but it really seems to sit low? Why is that I would rather it be up high for sure. Also there seems to be 2 chokes having a klx prior I'm not familiar with that? What's for? One on the clutch handle the other is like a valve release on the left side of the motor? Which do I use and why? Here's a pic for height reference I'm 6ft even. And I looked on the back side and there is a piece of metal that just doesn't seem to belong? Idk if it used to serve a purpose or maybe someone used it as a washer because it fit idk?IMG_3590.JPGIMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

Get rid of that piece of metal. If  you land on it, it will f-you up bad. Looks like it was used as a tie down. The little lever on the clutch perch is the hot-start lever; if you happen to stall the bike once it's hot, pull the lever in and hold it, as you kick over the bike, then release when it fires. The black pull out knob on the side of the side of the carb is the choke.