I have got older and more sensible and purchased my first electric start enduro bike a '13 500 exc having come from a near new yz450f I'm finding things a bit different , on the weekend I went right through the bike took every setting back to stock as they were all over the place  and only thing I couldn't adjust correctly was the rider sag which I could only manage 85mm instead of the 100-115 stated in the manual I weigh 85kg so will have to source a softer spring yet the bike is terrible over 100 clicks on Tarmac and dirt alike for headshake ive read so many glowing reviews about these bikes and am feeling a little bummed I was a fairly hard charger in my younger days on a motocross bike so without tooting my own horn too much  I know I can ride just fine. the bike on a flat dirt road just "hunts" in the front end at constant speed and flat out across a dirt paddock can actually be almost hard to hang onto is that just how these bikes are? Surely ktm didn't allow their "king of the desert" to be like this and something could be up with my particular bike? I also just torqued my steering head bolt up tight as tight can be and the steering will still flip side to side if you rock the bike on the stand but there's no sign of worn bearings even loose the steering had no slop any ideas? Surely a small bit stiff of a rear spring won't cause this 

Edited by lukesworld1
Spelling error

PDS bikes are very sag sensitive,  and you've got very little sag.  Is that an aftermarket rear spring?   I'm lighter than you and have no trouble getting the recommended sag with plenty of preload adjustment to spare.   Make sure your rear spring is stock.   My 2014 is a little twitchy but doesn't really headshake, especially on flat smooth ground.  

I think it is a stock spring yes the previous owner I got it from was around my size and  he had it from new nothing in its maintainence record about him respringing it I couldn't see any markings on it to suggest otherwise either it's just a plain orange spring I had to increase the preload quite a bit to get the static sag to 33mm from where it was though but even backed right off I couldn't get much better than 90mm rider sag it's done a few hours (180) so I wonder if the shocks a bit sad because I've never had trouble dialing a standard bike in to my weight before 

• Like 1

With that many hours it couldn't hurt to service both the shock and the forks, I think they're well past the recommended service interval at that point.  

That's right that will be the next thing I do I guess I was just after confirmation that that's not just how they are.  having only ever ridden motocross machines I wasn't sure what to expect everybody seems to love them to pieces that rides them so I wa a bit bummed when mine didn't perform 

6 hours ago, lukesworld1 said:

I think it is a stock spring yes the previous owner I got it from was around my size and  he had it from new nothing in its maintainence record about him respringing it I couldn't see any markings on it to suggest otherwise either it's just a plain orange spring I had to increase the preload quite a bit to get the static sag to 33mm from where it was though but even backed right off I couldn't get much better than 90mm rider sag it's done a few hours (180) so I wonder if the shocks a bit sad because I've never had trouble dialing a standard bike in to my weight before 

at 187 lbs, stock spring should easily get sag numbers , if you have your HS cranked way up that will effect sag too, you could also try 40 mm free sag. Nothing says you have to run 33mm free sag. You might actually like 40mm better, since you have so little rider sag.

BTW both my stock spring and heavy spring look identical in color, side by side, only the thicker coiling could you see a difference.

Edited by Spud786