2006 Shock Blown ?

Just picked up a 2006 crf150f for the kids.  Assembled and on the bike the rear shock stroke felt very limited.  Only seemed to have ~2 inches of stroke and action was very slow.  I removed the shock.  The linkage moves well and seems solid.  Took off the spring from the shock and slipped a rod thru both eyes.  Stood on 1 end and pulled/pushed on the other and stroked the shock.  It is very stiff but does stroke.  I'm not clear if this is normal or not.  I'm assuming it is not but wanted to ask you folks.  So, does it need to be replaced?  

Thanks.

Just picked up the bike and only I have sat on it so far.  I am 210 lbs and could only get limited action from the bike.   If the shock is good how can I explain the limited stroke?  

Mike

Should have 8.9 in (226 mm) travel from what I read.  NO where near that.  I'll put it back together wo/ the spring and see if if does full 8.9 inches.  Maybe it is binding somewhere.

They all work like that rear shock 150/230 is dangerous. If you push on seat with your hand it moves very little. Also rebound is very slow. So if you hit two ditches close together.After first ditch shock goes down,Stays down.In stroke hit second hole over the bars. So If have 4 stock shocks in the garage.All my bikes replaced with XR250r or Fox shock.

• Like 1

bajartrailrider,    Do you see the 8.9 travel in the stock shock but the rebound is very slow?  I don't think have anywhere near the 8.9".  I still need to put the bike back together and see if I can manually move it the 8.9 and test out if it is limited (bent ) like tlrmark threw out there.

mikebos I have not removed spring from stock shock.Mounted on bike yes they feel bad with bonce test. If shock off bike spring removed. Can you push shock rod in all the way?

Yep.  Stock 230 shocks are bad.  Glacially slow rebound damping.  2x4 better.  Replace shock with damp 2x4 or maybe radiator hose.

Ok then sounds like the shock is spec.  I've pulled off the swing arm and linkage and inspected.  The needle bearings are in good shape w/ the exception of lower linkage pivot that has the 2 needle bearings.   That was totally frozen.  I'm going to replace that and clean and relube everything and reassemble and reassess.  Not ready to drop a few hundred more on a new shock ATM but based on the feedback here I may end up doing that soon anyway.   Thanks.

• Like 1

Anytime I buy used or new bike. I completely take apart and use boat trailer grease on all bearings. Honda uses very little grease on bearings. So you buy used bike last owner hi psi washer.Now all bearings need replacement. You can live with front forks,but rear shock could land you at the hospital. Ride it easy till fixed.On rear shock Bruce Triplet can make it work,or rebuilt Xr250R shock 86/95. Deep pockets  Fox or hagon shock and many others.  

• Like 1

I wanted to follow up.  After replacing the 1 frozen lnkage and reassembly all it good.  

• Like 2