Hard decision

Looking at a 2004 Honda crf250r . I know that is a year that had some valve issues but not all of them had the problem. The guy selling it doesn't know much history about the bike except he bought it from a guy who couldn't get it to run right . The guy did a leak down check and it passed he also did a carb cleaning on the bike and shimmed the valves. It is running good now from a video he sent me . The top end has been rebuilt at some point in the past by the looks of the engine . The springs look to be oem so it's safe to assume the top end has been rebuilt at some point and and the valve kit is stock. Checked the tips sensor and it read a 4.7 . I'm told this bike does have the infamous crf problem but that can be fixed with a smaller leak jet or an accelerator pump . Need an opinion on if this is a safe deal or not ? He is selling it at a good price 

What is the "good" price?  And what do you think you get him down to?

It sounds like there are a few unkowns, but dont all bikes really have a lot of them?  I really dont trust what anyone tells me.  If they can prove it by service invoices, then maybe, but there are a lot of sketchy people out there who will do sketchy things to people and not think twice about it. :(

Bottom line, all depends on the price, IMO.

Initial purchase price, plus,

figure out how much time and money are you willing to invest in an already 13 year old MX race bike with known engine design issues.

(and there is likely more than the engine that requires attention, suspension maintenance is something that's often neglected)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

If all you can afford is 04 CRF you should save your money or buy a 2 stroke. 

• Like 2

The 04 crf is a good bike...  the valve issues are usually caused by poor maintanence...main culprit being dirt getting through the air filter. Slap a set of stainless steel valves in there and it'll last a long long time! My son has two 04's...both run great.