Need suggestions for new chest protestor

My old Thor chest protector/roost guard/whatever you want to call it.....is completely worn out.  I'm trying to figure out what would be a good one to get.  Are the mesh "shirts" that have the built in elbow guards any good?   I want something that would be good for trail riding.

Thanks!

Here are a few that I thought about looking at....

s1200_TLD11BP7855HWLS.jpg

F28414578.png

You have a lot of things to consider.  Do you wear a neck brace?  Not all chest protectors are compatible with some brands of brace.  Do you want roost or at the other extreme are you looking to completely cover your torso?  In considering that, you need to consider what are your riding conditions, you don't want to cook yourself.  Those suggestions are just a start. ;)

I like my Thor Impact Rig.

I like that it fits me nicely and I am 250lbs...

Everything stays put in a get off I have found. 

thor_sentry_xp_body_protector_black_deta

Edited by Gath3r
  • Like 1

Want good protection, or something that looks like good protection?

Tekvest is my choice... Crossover is what I wear on the moto.  Far better protection than the MX stuff, a lot more comfortable, and neck-brace compatible.  Heavily ventilated, not as warm as it looks.

DSC_4055_-L.jpg

Cut taller for standing-up-riding, offers real coverage.  Available in sizes from XS to XXXXL - none of this "one-size-fits-all" stuff (which is partly why it's more comfortable). 

DSC_4069_-L.jpg

Tekrider's got a dye-sub line up and running - if you want something customized, they can do whatever you can dream up.  They can custom-build a vest to your specs, not just graphics/artwork but also sizes and options.

For woods, I'd look at the protectors with plastic. These will better protect you from branches that spear you and rocks in "get offs". Check out Rockymountainatv.com for a huge selection. The guys that I know who have worn the mesh shirt types have all said thaey were to hot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 6 Riders said:

For woods, I'd look at the protectors with plastic. These will better protect you from branches that spear you and rocks in "get offs". Check out Rockymountainatv.com for a huge selection. The guys that I know who have worn the mesh shirt types have all said thaey were to hot.

For the money you can't beat the Atlas Defender.  Padded plastic roost front and back, if that is what you prefer.  I bought one, but wasn't fond of the way it fit me, so I gave it to my son who loves it.  And yes, I can't imagine being enclosed in one of those things with arms and everything in the high desert SW in the summer.  I prefer something more minimal with separate elbow protection.

I'm not as worries about being protected from roost....I'm worried about falling off or running into a tree and getting a stick through my ribs. I think that whatever I end up getting is going to need a hard plastic chest shield on it. I don't ride MX, so I won't be needing a neck brace. Im going to be riding woods trails.....to my main concern is trees, branches, big rocks, and stumps that my body may land on.

23 minutes ago, IQRaceworks said:

I'm not as worries about being protected from roost....I'm worried about falling off or running into a tree and getting a stick through my ribs. I think that whatever I end up getting is going to need a hard plastic chest shield on it. I don't ride MX, so I won't be needing a neck brace. Im going to be riding woods trails.....to my main concern is trees, branches, big rocks, and stumps that my body may land on.

I only ride trails and never get on my bike without my neck brace. ;)

I was going to recommend the tekvest but snowmule beat me too it!

I got mine because of his posts. I got the freestyle because I don't wear a pack and wanted back protection. I have taken a fall or 2 in a previously logged area with lots of pointy sticks. I really like the freestyle. I haven't felt any of the crashes on my torso.

You are not going to get more protection than the tek vests.

• Like 1

Rockin my Crossover all weekend at the races... media pass gets me on the mountain with the racers, a little more protection than just a jacket is a good thing to have when a 500lb snowmobile is rolling down the hill towards you.

i-kjHHGWQ-L.jpg

I've had fox roost guards, seem cheap and not really much protection from anything except for roost. Tec vest seems like the protection we really need. Thanks snow mule!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Anvil said:

I've had fox roost guards, seem cheap and not really much protection from anything except for roost. Tec vest seems like the protection we really need. Thanks snow mule!

If you end up going with the Tekvest, below is a post I made in another thread.  I think half of these links have Snowmule in them lol.  He is one of the main reasons I bought mine.  Worth every penny. 

12 hours ago, clemson13 said:

Here are some of the threads I used while looking at the tekvest.  

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/everything-about-the-crossover-tekvest.1023775/
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/tekvest-freestyle-vs-rally-max.988604/
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/which-tekvest.1169753/

Here are some threads on protection, and at the end of it the guy ends up deciding to wear a Tekvest.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/finally-offroad-protection-that-might-not-suck-as-bad.1170575/
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/tekvest-the-initial-review.1172211/

Snowmule is a big proponent of the Crossover, but I like the Freesyle as I dont ride with a pack and need the spine protection.  Below are the links to these 2 commonly liked models.  These are supposedly the 2 coolest feeling options.   If you want lots of pockets they have options for that as well.  

https://tekrider.com/products/freestyle-tekvest
https://tekrider.com/products/the-crossover

If you cant decide which model you might want, email them.  I cannot speak highly enough about their customer service.  They helped me get the right model and size.  People are not kidding when they say these run big.  I am 6'2, 215lbs and trim waisted with broad shoulders.  Normal I am a large to XL in clothing but in a tekvest I wear a large and have it cinched in 2/3 of the way.  

sales@tekrider. com

Edited by clemson13
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, clemson13 said:

I was going to recommend the tekvest but snowmule beat me too it!

I got mine because of his posts. I got the freestyle because I don't wear a pack and wanted back protection. I have taken a fall or 2 in a previously logged area with lots of pointy sticks. I really like the freestyle. I haven't felt any of the crashes on my torso.

You are not going to get more protection than the tek vests.

I'm also in the market for a summer chest protector, currently wear Leatt 5.5 Pro. I need something that is going to help keep me cooler in the summer months. I like the sound of the Tekvest but it sounds like it would be hot in the summer months! Have you had the chance to wear yours in the summer months down there in the carolina's?

Thanks for all of the info guys! I'm going to contact Tekvest to see what size the suggest for me (6'5" and 215lbs).  I've used a few of the cheaper all plastic roost/chest guards from Fox and Thor....and the most annoying part is that they all seem very short, and don't cover must lower than my belly button.....I like that the Tekvests look much longer and protect me lower on my torso.

Who's got the best prices on them?

I'm also in the market for a summer chest protector, currently wear Leatt 5.5 Pro. I need something that is going to help keep me cooler in the summer months. I like the sound of the Tekvest but it sounds like it would be hot in the summer months! Have you had the chance to wear yours in the summer months down there in the carolina's?

Hopefully some other tekvest riders will chime in on this one too.

My opinion is that they are very versatile temperature wise.

In the cold, I wear mine under my jersey and snug it up. When doing this I'm toasty warm in 50deg rain.

I have the freestyle. Which is not as cool of a vest as the crossover. When it gets hot and humid (boy does it get hot and humid here in the southeast US) I wear the vest on the outside of my jersey and loosen it up for air flow. Since it has full coverage, loosening it up doesn't hurt the protection at all and when it is loose I can wear it miserably hot conditions (I'm hot then, but I'd be hot even with no clothes on at all). If it is worn lose I find it has enough air flow it's not too warm while riding. If you stop moving and fight with a stuck bike in the sun on a muggy day you can overheat very quickly. I un zip the front or take it off when I stip riding to avoid this.

TLDR: I ride in the Carolinas and Georgia in one and find that it isn't too hot if worn loose.

Thanks for all of the info guys! I'm going to contact Tekvest to see what size the suggest for me (6'5" and 215lbs).  I've used a few of the cheaper all plastic roost/chest guards from Fox and Thor....and the most annoying part is that they all seem very short, and don't cover must lower than my belly button.....I like that the Tekvests look much longer and protect me lower on my torso.

Who's got the best prices on them?

I bought mine from them direct. I found lower prices from some distributors but then tekvest had a 20% off sale a while back that made then the same cost.

Remember you van have then vision make you something longer than there std vests if you want.

14 hours ago, DirtBikeHead said:

I can't help but to ask, do you have any affiliation with Tekvest Snowmule?

Sponsor. 

I had a Tekvest (Freestyle) for snowmobiling before I even bought my sled.  Vest I wore in the rodeo arena is likely the reason i'm alive today, so i'm a little weird about protecting my body.  Got my moto a couple years after I got into snowmobiling, wanted something to keep me in shape through the summer.

I tried a *LOT* of different styles/brands of motorcycle-specific chest protection my first few years of riding.  Some (standard plastic roost guard) I put up with because it was the best thing I had.  Some (pressure suit) I wore for about 10 minutes before turning around and swapping out for something else at the truck.

Don't remember exactly why, but one day I decided to wear my tekvest on the moto.  And that day was an epiphany.

Sold the rest of my motorcycle "chest protectors" not long after that.  Then it was kind of a "Why aren't more people doing this?" - See threads like this one... "I want this out of a chest protector, but everything i've tried sucks."

There's been a few people that have tried a tekvest on my suggestion and didn't like it.  But I see a lot more positive responses and get a lot of thanks - both public and pm/email - for turning them onto that gear.

Depending on where you are in the world, you can swing by a snowmobile dealer and see if they carry any of that gear.  My experience is their sizes are consistent across styles - all my vests are medium, and they all fit the same.  So if you try on a Freestyle to find what size fits you, you can be pretty safe getting that size in whatever style you want. 

Klim and a couple OEM's (Polaris, Doo, Yamaha, Cat) all have branded Tekvests.  Only difference is the colors and logo.

i-rZX4G3V-L.jpg

• Like 1