Trading SM for Husky 701

Thinking about trading my DRZ400SM in on a new Husky 701. The Husky seems awesome and I've been commuting 50 miles round trip on the DRZ, about 20 of it is interstate. Would the Husky be a better fit or would there be any reason to stay away from it? From what I've read the service intervals are pretty decent on the Husky. I know there are better bikes but I only have space for one and I want to keep a supermoto. 

The price for a 701 is 10-11k . Just too expensive for my taste. If you don't think you'll thrash the 701 and beat on it then get the 701 just expect some extra expense in terms maintenance department.  Heard of plenty of Zs with 30-70k miles.   I've beaten the snot out of mine it cost me 2800. If you got lots of cash get the 701.  If you don't slap on a taller sprocket on the drz for highway

change your gearing for better highway ridability. see gearingcommander.com for clues to lower your rpm and still have a fun bike. 

even if you replaced your entire transmission with the wide ratio kit (search thumper talk) you would still be about $10,000 ahead of the loss you'll take by trading one motorcycle for another. 

• Like 1

Yea money is not so much an issue. I tried the 16t sprocket and didn't like it. Also have an fcr 41 and rs2 so it's pretty much what it's going to be without breaking into the engine. The 15/41 gearing isn't bad it's just the bike runs out of power. So I'll probably just pull the fcr and sell it if I decide to go that route. 

I say go for it. The mods you have done to the DRZ aren't doing it any favors and if you're not willing to open the motor it will stay a slug.

The Husky is just a rebadged KTM690 with some tweaks in case you weren't aware.

• Like 2

It would be nice if KTM still made the smc. I appreciate. I'll have a fcr 41 for sale soon if I make my mind up. 

commuting is a fun way to ride, it gives you an excuse to ride alot and you should love the bike your doing it on .. i have a ninja1000, brand new more or less, zero imperfections its mint .. do i want to commute on it to work - hell no lol ... i love riding the drz the most, its light weight and cool as sht heheh .. to each their own .. i'd love to have that husky to add to my stable but not trade it for the dizzer but thats me .. if its not possible to have more than one its your call .. im sure the husky is a great bike to ..

* when it comes to going faster , i dont like doing that on any bike, alot of times the wind is in my face and going over 65 just isnt what i want to do even on a large bike .. traffic can more or less kiss my rear .. if you 'do' need a bike that comfortable pushing 75 because traffic is just out of control, honestly you need an even bigger bike than the husky .. the only bikes i have that like going that fast have a fairing and a BIG motor, the ninjas ok with it but eats tires going fast like that, not ideal for commuting .. the only one thats really 'good' at that kind of thing my 1900 cruiser with a batwing fairing .. so ... i just dont think the husky is going to put you in a much better position than the drz with 80mph psycho traffic ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 2

If you want something for highway work I would definitely not be looking at a single.

I too really like the looks of the 701sm. Enough so I went to a large local husky dealer (had 3 701 enduros on the floor, and about every other husky you could imagine including the smaller SM) and asked about availability of the 2017 701sm. They laughed and explained they had 3 or 4 cash deposits for the 701sm and were likely only going to be allotted 2 for 2017. This was November last year if memory serves me. This dealer afaik is the largest husky dealer in the SE USA.

Seams like every so often people talk about getting one of these bikes and I have to wonder where are all these bikes available at?

Yea the dealer I am dealing with now has the enduro and waiting on the sm he says. But he did offer to put a set of warp wheels on the enduro for me. So I may entertain that. 

Keep the drz like I did and upgrade to a ktm690 duke or a fz09 like I did.rode my friends husky 701 sm and  was not impressed. Esp for 12000dollars. Exhaust  upgrades are very expensive and warranty  work is a hassle due to low production of this bike. I almost bought one but got  a used fz 09 with700 miles on it and a new leftover ktm690duke for pretty  close to the full price of the husky 701.

20170317_183803.jpg

• Like 3

Dealer here said similar. That's a lot of coin to then have to go back and put a SM setup on too. Then there is also ABS concerns but I gather most folks would turn that off anyway.

Have you thought about trying to find a honda XR650R? They are lighter than the 701 with similar power?

all good points. The more I look and think the cheapness of DRZ makes me want to keep it. Like I said. I really only have room for one ride so that's part of the issue. If I had my choice I'd have one of every type. 

22 minutes ago, speedyreedy said:

rode my friends husky 701 sm and  was not impressed.

What? Explain. Did he have a shit map?

• Like 1

No it was 17 model bone stock...he has akrapovic pipe and remap coming.....don't get me wrong. Bike does run well. Not 12000 plus taxes exhaust and remap  totalling about 14500.bike isn't 14500 dollars worth of fun....I rode it about 50 miles last weekend and just not that impressed with it.my ktm is much more fun on the street,even my buddy hates to admit it too.

31 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I think if you traded the 41mm for a 39mm and atleast added a stage 2 intake cam minimum, you would like the bike a little more.

I like the 41mm so far. It doesn't have any flat spots from what I can tell. It would be nice to try a 39mm on another drz but the community of drz's seems to be shy in my area. 

1 minute ago, speedyreedy said:

No it was 17 model bone stock...he has akrapovic pipe and remap coming.....don't get me wrong. Bike does run well. Not 12000 plus taxes exhaust and remap  totalling about 14500.bike isn't 14500 dollars worth of fun....I rode it about 50 miles last weekend and just not that impressed with it.my ktm is much more fun on the street,even my buddy hates to admit it too.

This was something else that crossed my mind. Spend that amount of money and then tell yourself that it really wasn't worth it. 

Yea money is not so much an issue. I tried the 16t sprocket and didn't like it. Also have an fcr 41 and rs2 so it's pretty much what it's going to be without breaking into the engine. The 15/41 gearing isn't bad it's just the bike runs out of power. So I'll probably just pull the fcr and sell it if I decide to go that route. 

If Money is not an issue just do it. I have the KTM 690 Enduro . Bit of a handful off road when you're on gas. But even so l luv it.. Mind you A stroker DRZ is pretty sweet but does not have the refinement as the rebadged KTM
  • Like 1

FWIW - A new DRZ-SM with FCR and a pipe, once taxed and titled, is pushing $10k. I was OTD at $7k, add a few small things and a few big things and $9k is closer to $10k than $7k. lol!

All I'm saying is it's all relative, for another $4-$5k a 701 might make more sense to some. Personally, the euro brands don't have a big enough representation around here to sway me, and I live about 40 miles from Chicago! So a DRZ and something else (?bigger/faster/louder?) is going to have to keep me happy.