Well I didn't put much time on my 03 project bike between buying it and tearing it down...

But it had no electrical problems that I know of before tear down...

Powder Coating was done as part of build, but grounding parts for coil and engine were re sanded to bare metal...

Anyways... Bike ran for 20-30 minutes for first start and break in running...

Then when trying to start back up... No spark.... Zip...Zero...Nada...

Re checked connections....

Disconnected kill switch.... New spark plug

No dice....

Cranks over just fine... But no spark...

Any suggestions??  Any weak points known for CDI or Stator??

Thanks Guy....

Per our prior talks, I had ordered a used 150f CDI box to get an advance curve between stock and ProCom ...

First attempt at starting had no spark also.... Pulled 150f CDI and put stock CDI on... Fired up immediately.... So I thought I must have bought a junk CDI off eBay... 

So... Now... Maybe something else wasn't working ... Or maybe now I am looking at 2 bad CDI boxes...

And now I'm thinking ProCom might not be such a bad idea...

Hola ADN it is strange that the cdi boxes can go bad on the 230s. As My fleet of Xrs since far back as I can remember. Over 30 Xrs 200/250/400/600/650 not one bad to date. So clearly Honda did not make the Cdi box. Busted the China man made it!

If the CDI is bad, then it will have been my first experience with a Honda CDI taking a sh!t on me...!

No need to fear ProCom reliability if the stock CDI is of questionable reliability...

If that's the case , there will be a spare CDI along when I'm off on a ride

Just found out that the 150f boxes are no longer available and have been superseded to the 230f box

There are quite a few on E Bay....
I ordered two for a 2003 because I need another. 14-15 years old?
Hoping they are working when received.

Oh Lord, please protect me from the Demons of Detonation....

I just ordered a ProCom CDI

Edited by mixxer

OK... ordered a used CDI off eBay (roll the dice baby)...  Should be here today... 

Also ordered a ProCom CDI .... Might be here Saturday...

And ordered a new stator assembly..  maybe here Saturday...

Ordered the stator in case it has anything to do with CDI failures.... 

Would love to finish the break in and get a better feel for the current state of mods on the bike...

Also... Hoping to like some extra hit from the curve advance of the ProCom.... But not wanting any spark knock problems...

91 pump minimum? How much Above sea level?
IMO 11-1 or less generally not a problem. Depends a lot on elevation.

My 13.5-1 with ProCom will detonate "slightly" if you lug it, short shift, at slow speeds, at 3500 ft or below with ProCom. (100 unleaded) It's slight because I know how to drive the bike so it's not excessive, as the noise makes me cringe) (I won't let my son ride that bike while it's doing that)

But, As I'm heading up and up in elevation, detonation disappears (no matter how much I lug it at low rpm)

The higher elevation the trails are "less gnarly" so on the less utilized trails I can pick up speed and enjoy it "detonation free" (more air flow on engine as well)

Back to the truck, remove Pro Com, install 2005-older 150f box, all is well back up same trail, while heading back up to the good trails for the rest of the day. (And I trade bikes back and fourth with my son again)

• Like 1

Awesome Info, as always!

Thank you for sharing...

Yep..91 octane... I'm in Tennessee now... I don't know my elevation... 

I might not be opposed to getting a genuine octane booster like Octane Supreme 130 or relatively equivalent product.... If I get a bit of detonation...

Just found out that the 150f boxes are no longer available and have been superseded to the 230f box

There are quite a few on E Bay....

I ordered two for a 2003 because I need another. 14-15 years old?

Hoping they are working when received.

Correction:

Now that I found out that www.servicehonda.com is back in business again, I see that they have the original 2005 an older 150f CDI box part #'s again: 30410-KPT-901 in stock again.

So then I checked with Rocky Mountain and they have them also.

Same part #

For reference the 2005 CRF230f CDI box part # is:

30410-KPS-901

I ordered one and will try it out.

My "over" 13-1 compression ratio 262 will detonate on 100 octane race fuel when its lugged hard at low rpm below 4,500 elevation with a Pro-Com. No issues above 5,000 ft.

The stock 150f box has more initial advance than a stock 230f box but not as much as a Pro-Com box. Perfect for my beast below 5K elevation and much more snap than a 230f box above 5K.

Correction:

Now that I found out that www.servicehonda.com is back in business again, I see that they have the original 2005 an older 150f CDI box part #'s again: 30410-KPT-901 in stock again.

So then I checked with Rocky Mountain and they have them also.
Same part #

For reference the 2005 CRF230f CDI box part # is:
30410-KPS-901

I ordered one and will try it out.

My "over" 13-1 compression ratio 262 will detonate on 100 octane race fuel when its lugged hard at low rpm below 4,500 elevation with a Pro-Com. No issues above 5,000 ft.

The stock 150f box has more initial advance than a stock 230f box but not as much as a Pro-Com box. Perfect for my beast below 5K elevation and much more snap than a 230f box above 5K.

Image1497312004.230021.jpg

Got it today so that means that 2005~older 150f CDI Boxes are not discontinued and are still available
  • Like 1