2017 KTM 500 EXC-F Six Days Simple and Ideal Upgrade plan

Hi Guys, 

I know I maybe sounding asking much, but I gathered so much information that I now got somehow lost. 

I need to come up with a plan, in upgrading my 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F Six Days. So far I found these key words :

• TPS Adjustment (which I've just ordered)
  • De-Smog process and kit (I've no kit yet and don't know what the process is actually and don't know from where to buy best kit)
  • A best Full Exhaust Upgrade. Here is what I am also completely lost ... should I go for Akrapovic full sytem? Should I go for another brand like FMF ? (but they don't have a compatible system for my bike) 
  • Are there any other stuff which I should also consider but didn't mention above? Example would I need an ECU remap

What I am after is the best possible gain I can achieve from my bike with this upgrade plan. 

Again, as mentioned in the beginning of this post... I know I maybe am sounding asking much, but I do feel very confident in asking you guys here. A simple upgrade plan with which products I should go for, would be great !

Thanks alot and really looking forward to hear as much as possible from you all,

Geoff

Malta, Europe

thanks Sir !

but ... if I may ask ...

for which brand should I go for ? Akrapovic ? Or should I go for something else like FMF ? Honeslty I prefer Akra because I know they have compatible for my bike

also ... I need to find a best quality kit for the de-smog process plus from where can I get an ECU remap for this setup? From KTM dealer themselves ?

Thanks again !

@ragingspeed, congrats on the purchase.

Your in Europe, I'd go with Akra. The EU Powerparts Catelog might show the options. FMF is nice and that's what I run, but I run it because it has a USFS Spark Arrestor that you won't need and it's manufactured right next door to me. I'd think Akra would be easier to source/warrent than FMF for you. Can't go wrong with it if it's in your budget.

As for ECU remap.... Unless the '17's changed from the '12-'16 historical norms, EU EXC's already have a nice fat map. Suspect the '17 is no different but I don't have one so someone with a '17 would need to confirm.

Break break...... Doesn't your bike have a Map switch already installed?

Got a picture of this beast?

hi oldfuddy :)

thanks for your post! 

Akra it will be ... I will then check their range and will choose a good full system for my bike. FME as you also mentioned I'd have to order it from the US, when asked the guys whether they have a full system compatible with my bike, they never came back with a reply etc

as for your sentence regarding the ECU, I'm not quite sure I understood you though :( what do you mean with nice fat map? you mean that a remap is not necessary due to it?

Map switch? yes, of course, I have it on my bike ... has settings for Map 1, Map 2 and traction control

Pics? Happy to share my beast of course :) Couple of simple mods on it as I like modding bikes as far as my knowledge goes. Example the HID headlight, the quick flip mirrors, Sicass racing LED turn signals and last but not least is the in-house customised tail tidy :D:D 

Looking forward to hearing from you !

Geoff

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 2

the tidy ... fyi .... is a veeeeeery easy job ... that is still the factory rear mudguard ... cut with dremel around the rear break light ... then (if you want them) for turn signals, Sicass Racing Flush mounted LEDs did a great job there ? in my opinion ... the best DIY tail tidy anyone can do ?

therefore ... back to original post reasons ...

TPS adjustment - sorted and understood

exhaust - sorted and understood (will go for Akra - poor bank account!)

de-smog - still I wish from you guys sources where I can buy a best de-smog kit please

ECU re-map - this will be tricky then ... I think I will try my bike after I do all the above setup then

map switch - cannot yet understand why I was asked whether I have it or not ... where will this map switch help me in this scenario? Is there a suggestion that I haven't yet understood?

Thanks!

• Like 1

the tidy ... fyi .... is a veeeeeery easy job ... that is still the factory rear mudguard ... cut with dremel around the rear break light ... then (if you want them) for turn signals, Sicass Racing Flush mounted LEDs did a great job there [emoji4] in my opinion ... the best DIY tail tidy anyone can do [emoji4]
therefore ... back to original post reasons ...
TPS adjustment - sorted and understood
exhaust - sorted and understood (will go for Akra - poor bank account!)
de-smog - still I wish from you guys sources where I can buy a best de-smog kit please
ECU re-map - this will be tricky then ... I think I will try my bike after I do all the above setup then
map switch - cannot yet understand why I was asked whether I have it or not ... where will this map switch help me in this scenario? Is there a suggestion that I haven't yet understood?
Thanks!

Lots of information here https://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1217889-The-Official-2017-500-EXC-De-Smog-How-To

I asked about the map switch as the US exc doesn't have it and I'm in the US. If the bike starts fine hot or cold, runs hard, doesn't overheat, and doesn't pop excessively on decel with the map in either position and isn't flaming out I would not recommend remapping. I'd leave the ECU alone.

thanks all ! i read the de-smog process in the link provided by Supa ... excellent post that is ... however cannot find from where to buy the parts ... but I assume it is this link 

https://blaisracingservices.com/index.php?seo_path=2017-ktm-450/500-exc/-2017-husqvarna-fe450/501-s-block-off/-delete-kit-breather-hose-relocation

hope that guy ships to my home country Malta Europe !!

Yeps oldfuddy ... I'm from Malta Europe ... not sure whether I have the map switch because it's an EU bike or because it is the Six Days version. Not sure about this. 

Mentioning the map switch ... I do admit that I don't really drive my EXC very very hard, but I rarely and barely notice any difference when I switch between the two maps. 

When back home I will re-read in details the de-smog process since there is really alot of info ... and looks like there are other processes in the middle that I have to go through ... like canisters etc etc etc 

1 hour ago, ragingspeed said:

thanks all ! i read the de-smog process in the link provided by Supa ... excellent post that is ... however cannot find from where to buy the parts ... but I assume it is this link 

https://blaisracingservices.com/index.php?seo_path=2017-ktm-450/500-exc/-2017-husqvarna-fe450/501-s-block-off/-delete-kit-breather-hose-relocation

hope that guy ships to my home country Malta Europe !!

That is all stuff you can source at your local hardware store. 

i am looking at picture you have and i think there is no smog stuff on your bike . your gas tank vent is not plug to the smog canister it only vented in the frame like 530 were . Europe model have good mapping and no smog stuff , so if there is spake arestor in muffler remove it . if there is reed valve between throttle body and air filter remove it and put your tps at 0,590- 0,600 volt . 

Hi all !

This morning I was just following all your recent posts. I've gone through this post again ...

But, I'm really still quite lost. Ok ... there is a process where I need to remove these "smog" parts ... and blank off bolt plugs with bolts which I noticed (thanks to you) I can buy from my hardware store. But that link doesn't stop there .... apart from the valve, it also mentions canisters, reeds, and other stuff. So ... Could I, or maybe in the above mentioned post, ask for a summarized point-form steps of all the steps to be taken for the whole "project" ?

What surprises me is the last post by cisco 1  !  Well that's a very interesting question now ! I will take lots of pics as you mentioned and would be very very happy if you can help me identify whether I have smogg stuff and anything mentioned in the De-Smog post.

Cisco1, what I do remember is that when I bought my bike, the dealer did ask me "specific questions" ? and proceeded in doing THREE things ... he removed the airbox intake throttle thing (part 79406012050) ... removed a cylindrical item from my exhaust's end cap ... then uploaded another map into my bike