To Bend or to Dent, that is the question

I have a 2006 YZ250 with a Gnarly pipe that is just making contact with my frame on the left side.

I have read posts about denting the pipe slightly, where others post to bend the pipe using a long pipe or broom handle.

The dent would be small, like 1/8" deep and 2 inches wide and 3 inches tall.

Any thoughts on which method is preferred?

I did a little of both to make it fit my X. Fit my 2000 perfect but hit the X in the same spot as yours.

• Like 1

Bending pipe to clear frame would be best. My question is, is it flat across jug spigot? It shouldn't hit frame if its new and straight. 

• Like 2

I just got the bike about a month ago. I will pull the pipe off this weekend and evaluate. I will try to bend it as I think that should be best and if it is hitting the frame I'm sure that it got bent some how. 

Thanks for the replies!

Bob

• Like 1

It's pretty common for the left-side portion of the pipe to get bent rearward in a left side crash; generally pushing it into the frame.

Give the pipe a real good visual inspection, looking for subtle folds or creases that may indicate that the pipe has been bent.

A little heat and leverage on the pipe should get you the clearance you need. And like Gary said, verify that the pipe inlet sits flat in the cylinder spigot.

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

My brand new gnarly wasnt fitting right out of the box.  I started a thread a while back and i think it was yzdoc that found me a website about getting your pipe to fit your bike.  It worked great and best of all, you get to basically go caveman on the pipe!  My pipe now fits perfectly.  Nothing like a little brute force to get things to line up.

• Like 2