Keihin PJ carb idle fix

Hello, 
I've found a fix of that carb which is well known of its problems because of the idle air circuit/choke combination design flaw. Was thinking about it because i've had enough with it not idling at all. Doing trail and enduro mostly it is hard not to keep the engine idling. 

I've done a detailed article on another forum but it is in Greek. You could use google translator to help you out but watching the pictures you will get the idea behind it.

www.dirt-bike.gr •

Have done it to my CR '93 and I suppose it could be done to many other bikes using these carbs that are facing idle problems. The idea is to use a screw to adjust the slide position, it worked and now it also runs on 48 idle jet (55-58 before!) and need to go even lower 42/45 because it still runs a bit rich at low rpm. Though must get a slide with 6-7# cut away at some point to lean it a bit more down low. It is a fuss to get the initial idle adjustment because as you understand to adjust you have to lean over the carb, unscrew the slide cap, adjust then re assemble.

We used a threaded rod,  coming from the top down,  and drilled into the slide similar to how some mikunis were.   I have a bucket full of PJ's.   That "controlled leak idle circuit" took away from an otherwise decent carburetor.  May it rest in peace.

• 5 years later...