Z50 cylinder?

Replacing the rings in my 82 z50. Wanted to know why the snap ring around the bottom of the sleeve where it meets the jug? No ring groove. No mention of it in the repair manual. 

IMG_3741.JPG

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about, what sleeve are you referring to? Is that supposed to be a snap ring in your pic? Your information is very vague

That is a snap ring pictured, it came off from around the bottom of the cylinder, the portion that slides into the the crank case. Sorry for the confusion.

SAM_1701_fd4123.JPG

I understand now, thank you for clarifying it. I've torn down and rebuilt dozens of these Honda horizontal engines and have never come across a cylinder with a lock ring attached to it. I do know that there were some Chinese engines that had a rubber o-ring that fit in a groove like the one in your pic above.

I've always found the standard base gasket to be adequate, and never had any oil seepage between the cylinder and the cases. I would think that lock ring would interfere with the base gasket, and not allow the cylinder to seat properly on the cases.

Thank you for your quick response. I put it together with out it and didn't have any interference issues. Just seemed odd. Admittly it was torn down by my son a couple years, so memory is an issue. But he swears that's where it came from. You don't recognize that snap ring to go anywhere else on the engine do you?

If it was on the outside of the spigot, it has to be at least 48-50mm ID, and there isn't anything else on the engine requiring a lock ring that large.