Setting fuel screw with a tachometer

Above, 1gr8bldr mentions setting the fuel screw with a little tach with 10 rpm resolution. You want one with a replaceable battery, like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YTXKKDQ

I finally tried the Ramz process which is reformatted here for easier reading: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZK0m0LUwsqjrfgbL6eQCBu4T2nkPq6eF4lB7Ch9oEes/pub#h.zgx0yw9y2uz2

The tach makes it MUCH easier to do this with precision. Maybe some can hear a 10 rpm difference, not me. The key is to wait awhile for the engine to settle after each change.

My first one that read in 60 increments looked like that. Does it state that it has a 10 rpm increment?

The tach is crucial for 2 stroke because it never settles down but rather is seen almost as a range. Where the 4t is somewhat steady

9 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

My first one that read in 60 increments looked like that. Does it state that it has a 10 rpm increment?

The tach is crucial for 2 stroke because it never settles down but rather is seen almost as a range. Where the 4t is somewhat steady

Oh, just noticed you mentioned 60 rpm for yours. The instructions now state "Rpm resolution: 10 Rpm" and this is what it shows when you are watching it. The behavior I saw is consistent with the claim.

Seemed like it allowed me to dial the screw in with a precision between 1/16 and 1/8 turn. Tiny bumps had measurable effects on the tach. Does this matter? Probably not, but given the enthusiasm of this forum for details I thought I would mention it ;)

Edited by RedMesa

21 minutes ago, RedMesa said:

Oh, just noticed you mentioned 60 rpm for yours. The instructions now state "Rpm resolution: 10 Rpm" and this is what it shows when you are watching it. The behavior I saw is consistent with the claim.

Seemed like it allowed me to dial the screw in with a precision between 1/16 and 1/8 turn. Tiny bumps had measurable effects on the tach. Does this matter? Probably not, but given the enthusiasm of this forum for details I thought I would mention it ;)

I bought another because my first one did not offer the precission I needed, but 10 rpm is great. i think my present does 20 rpm increments

My prototype is a little rough but works so I never made another. It fits good, LOL, but not in the picture, LOL, cause I can't see that close without glasses. Keeping contact at all times makes counting turns easy. Plus you can move it quicker

20170329_212722.jpg

20170329_212824.jpg

20170329_212829.jpg