2008 KYB SSS odd Valving

I bought a set of 2008 KYB SSS forks. Its has an odd valve in it anyone recognize it? Also one valve has a longer spring and no bushing but works out to the same length as the spring with the bushing.

2017-03-24 17.15.00.jpg

2017-03-24 17.15.20.jpg

Edited by Scott Mc

Nice mis-match of parts in there!

I have no clue what the piston on the right is,

installed in that fashion the checkvalve on stock piston doesn't appear to have enough gap to flow?

From the infos in the KYB catalog, OEM ISC springs come in 2 general lengths:   90-95mm / 105-107mm,

the shorter ones use a 15mm long nylon spacer like your pics show (also like my YZ125 did).

Aftermarket ICS springs are commonly 105mm or so and interchangeable between either Showa and KYB forks.

Edited by mlatour

29 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Nice mis-match of parts in there!

I have no clue what the piston on the right is,

installed in that fashion the checkvalve on stock piston doesn't appear to have enough gap to flow?

From the infos in the KYB catalog, OEM ISC springs come in 2 general lengths:   90-95mm / 105-107mm,

the shorter ones use a 15mm long nylon spacer like your pics show (also like my YZ125 did).

Aftermarket ICS springs are commonly 105mm or so and interchangeable between either Showa and KYB forks.

Ya nice mismatch of parts is right, even came with a broken piston so I upgraded those. That's what you get from ebay sometimes but it was a good deal. I found a used stock valve so once it arrives I am going to have a go on doing a revalve. Just interested if anyone knew anything about  that valve.

Edited by Scott Mc
  • Like 2

In what region are you located in Ontario?  (I'm near Hawkesbury)

I've since switched to Gold Valves and still have some extra OEM forks parts.

(ICS pistons/springs, comp/reb valves etc.)

Edited by mlatour

11 hours ago, mlatour said:

In what region are you located in Ontario?  (I'm near Hawkesbury)

I've since switched to Gold Valves and still have some extra OEM forks parts.

(ICS pistons/springs, comp/reb valves etc.)

11 hours ago, mlatour said:

I'm an hour north of Toronto in Barrie. What springs do you have I might need a stiffer fork springs.

Sorry no main fork springs,

I meant extra ICS springs:

the stock 95mm - 2.0kg/mm (but I don't have the 15mm spacers)

and a pair of Race Tech 1.4kg/mm (good for trail/off-roading, a tad light for MX'ing)

Valve on right looks like something I've seen on the STS racing site. Why the mismatched parts I wonder?

54 minutes ago, JC829 said:

Valve on right looks like something I've seen on the STS racing site. Why the mismatched parts I wonder?

I had a look and they do have a pic of that valve on the STS site and listed Competition Level Re-valve. Not sure how this compares to a normal valve. I'm heading to the track on Sun so guess I'll see.

Small ports ramp up the damping at high speeds, but allow softer shim stacks so they open easy at low speeds

• Like 3

I have seen a valve like that before. I had tracked them down once as we needed parts for them on a friends bike. I think they were called motopro or something like that and they were in either Washington or Oregon

• Like 1

Yes, that is a MotoPro piston. Main office in Washington with possible franshises here and there. If you were to take a close look at it and compared it to the ones he made when forks ran 25-28mm pistons, that ran a 21mm face shim, you'll see these do too. It seems to me that he never did the R&D as the pistons and cartridges got bigger, just simply widened the outer part of the piston and kept the 21mm shims setup. Personally I call it lazyness as I can see no reason to do this

Why it was in your bike will probably remain a mystery for a long time

• Like 1

On 2017-04-14 at 6:45 AM, HONDA65 said:

Yes, that is a MotoPro piston. Main office in Washington with possible franshises here and there. If you were to take a close look at it and compared it to the ones he made when forks ran 25-28mm pistons, that ran a 21mm face shim, you'll see these do too. It seems to me that he never did the R&D as the pistons and cartridges got bigger, just simply widened the outer part of the piston and kept the 21mm shims setup. Personally I call it lazyness as I can see no reason to do this

Why it was in your bike will probably remain a mystery for a long time

Thanks for the info I'm going to sell it so that helps, bought a complete valve and piston to replace it with. Put in a stock set of valves and revalved them. I think what I ended up with a bad ebay seller he drained the oil in the forks so I know he seen the valves and pistons. Left me with a non stock valve and broken piston. The listing did said he would install the stock valves be for shipping. Overall the fork tubes were in good shape so I'm happy with them just the luck you get on ebay some times.