Need Help Please Guys :) xr250r

Hi guys got a 1987 xr250r here and was just going over it after it had been rebuilt and noticed the timing cam was out a little bit so took it off and fixed it up, now i cant seem to get the tensioner back down with the cam and spocket done up. i can get it in while the chain and sprocket is undone from the cam but then it a little bit low for the bolt to go into the cam side of the screw bit.. it is a brand new chain and just wondering what ive done wrong , thanks in advance guys :) the top pic is the one before i touched it... there must be a way it goes in... i can get it almost all the way in with cam done up but the last bit wont go down, looks like there might be too much tenstion? many thanks

before.jpg

tdc on top sprocket.jpg

lower.jpg

This is with the tensioner installed, so close but wont go.. what do i need to do? it seems like theres too much tightness on the chain from the black thing on tensioner.. any help :p

out view.jpg

in.jpg

Edited by flynn chibnall

pull the cam stop out, then remove the end bearing. Installl the cam gear and then reassemble. Make sure the tensioner is slacked out enough. You have to put a pin through the hole in the tensioner to hold it in slack position.

• Like 1

That front wedge has to be pushed and held down while you pry up the rear wedge. Right now that rear wedge is below the top of the tensioner frame. Once you pry up that rear wedge, you should see a hole in it. You put a nail or a cotter pin in it. That holds the rear wedge up and the front wedge down while you fit the cam.

XR250 tensioner.JPG

• Like 1