I've Neglected my nipples among other things

Its been a rare snowy year where I live (the last 4 winters I rode pretty much 365. This year only be out 4 times since November and that was with studded tires) and I have enough spare time (and bored enough to post this) that I'm finally doing the maintenance on my bike that I've been putting off for a LONG LONG time and REALLY look forward to ripping this spring/summer/fall and beyond.

2005 dirt bike that I bought used in 2010 and I didn't have a clue about bike maintenance for the first few years I let this happen to about about 10 nipples (and this is not the worst). Ironically I've been using this rim since and never had an issue.

20170319_110257[1].jpg

I'm finally replacing the rim and I'm also ordering new tires and I've been agonizing if I should replace the OEM rim 19" with 18". I never ride the track and after many beers and and chatting with my buds, finally choose a 18" DID Dirt Star rear with Moose Stainless Steel spokes and the Shinko 505 110/100-18.

Again after 11 years finally got a small crack in the seat cover. Just had a local shop put this one for me.

20170311_110339.jpg

Then I had the bike on the stand and was having a good look at the lower rear link and noticed that I've got a huge crack in the arm sub assembly and not sure how long this has been there or how I did not notice it before :( I don't have a pic of the crack but the arrow shows roughly where its and the seal is popping out. Just the OEM arm sub assembly c/w bushing, seals etc (no lower linkage) is about $250 CDN. Found one used for $60 CDN and it's in transit. Should know in a few days if its as good as the pic looked (This is NOT it). I'm also thinking I need to fab up a lower linkage guard.

52465-KRN-710.jpg

So while I'm at it, I've ordered a Pivot Works Swing Arm Bearing Kit and Pivot Works complete linkage bearing kit (which includes the parts to rebuild the arm sub assembly if needed a the Pivot Works steering bearing. None has been changed since 2005 but really there has nothing that I've noticed really wrong with any of the bearings when I'm riding the bike BUT it will be interesting to see what they all look like after 11 years :)

Then a few other parts and I might order a hat

Nice thing as that all of the stuff is in stock and with the $813.78 free shipping.

cart 1.jpg

cart 2.jpg

cart 3.jpg

cart 4.jpg

cart 5.jpg

cart 6.jpg

Then I'll be working on the bike under my outside covered patio but man I hope it stops monsoon raining soon and I'm not getting wet its just not that inspiring. This doesn't show how hard its raining BUT the rain is melting all the snow :)

20170329_180219[1].jpg

Back to having a few beers, watching NBA and a WALL of rain outside my window.

EDIT: I realized that I posted it was a 16 year old bake buts actually 11 years old :)

Edited by filterx
Its only 11 years old.
  • Like 5

Sounds like a personal problem. :lol:

Otherwise, major maintenance is almost as bad as "new to me" maintenance and mods. 

I'm getting to know the UPS gal a little too well. :smirk:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, filterx said:

Its been a rare snowy year where I live (the last 4 winters I rode pretty much 365. This year only be out 4 times since November and that was with studded tires) and I have enough spare time (and bored enough to post this) that I'm finally doing the maintenance on my bike that I've been putting off for a LONG LONG time and REALLY look forward to ripping this spring/summer/fall and beyond.

2005 dirt bike that I bought used in 2010 and I didn't have a clue about bike maintenance for the first few years I let this happen to about about 10 nipples (and this is not the worst). Ironically I've been using this rim since and never had an issue.

20170319_110257[1].jpg

I'm finally replacing the rim and I'm also ordering new tires and I've been agonizing if I should replace the OEM rim 19" with 18". I never ride the track and after many beers and and chatting with my buds, finally choose a 18" DID Dirt Star rear with Moose Stainless Steel spokes and the Shinko 505 110/100-18.

Again after 16 years finally got a small crack in the seat cover. Just had a local shop put this one for me.

20170311_110339.jpg

Then I had the bike on the stand and was having a good look at the lower rear link and noticed that I've got a huge crack in the arm sub assembly and not sure how long this has been there or how I did not notice it before :( I don't have a pic of the crack but the arrow shows roughly where its and the seal is popping out. Just the OEM arm sub assembly c/w bushing, seals etc (no lower linkage) is about $250 CDN. Found one used for $60 CDN and it's in transit. Should know in a few days if its as good as the pic looked (This is NOT it). I'm also thinking I need to fab up a lower linkage guard.

52465-KRN-710.jpg

So while I'm at it, I've ordered a Pivot Works Swing Arm Bearing Kit and Pivot Works complete linkage bearing kit (which includes the parts to rebuild the arm sub assembly if needed a the Pivot Works steering bearing. None has been changed since 2005 but really there has nothing that I've noticed really wrong with any of the bearings when I'm riding the bike BUT it will be interesting to see what they all look like after 16 years :)

Then a few other parts and I might order a hat

Nice thing as that all of the stuff is in stock and with the $813.78 free shipping.

cart 1.jpg

cart 2.jpg

cart 3.jpg

cart 4.jpg

cart 5.jpg

cart 6.jpg

Then I'll be working on the bike under my outside covered patio but man I hope it stops monsoon raining soon and I'm not getting wet its just not that inspiring. This doesn't show how hard its raining BUT the rain is melting all the snow :)

20170329_180219[1].jpg

Back to having a few beers, watching NBA and a WALL of rain outside my window

Wow, look at how close those other houses are!  I don't know how people live like that. :p

10 hours ago, SenorThumpy said:

Good move on the 18" wheel and glad you caught that linkage crack... that would have been a shitty failure on the trails 

Have you used that front tire before? Curious how it performs. 

Ya not sure how long the crack has been in there cus its in a really hard place to see even when the bike's on the stand and I'm doing an oil change. I actually noticed the seal pushing out, then found the crack.

No but I asked if any one was using the 546 with the 505 in the Shinko 505 topic and got some good input. Like I say about tires, you can ask for options but you really need to try them for yourself. Then going with the 18" is going to give me more options and never enough time or $$$ to try them all :) I might post my 2 cents on the 546 later and its only been in the last few years that I've understood how different fronts feel and for that matter how good a new front feels.

• Like 1

You're going to love the 18" over the 19", so much more compliant in the woods. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Wow, look at how close those other houses are!  I don't know how people live like that. :p

Ya my neighbour is actually somewhat rural. and these lots are small but some of the lots across the street are on like an acre of so. Then about 15 min outside of town from where I live its farm/range land.

If you are remotely interested I'm near the north end of town and you can look some of the out lying properties :)

https://maps.squamish.ca/html5viewer/?viewer=webmap

Got the USED sub arm assembly I bought of Ebay today (ironically my b-day) and I swear this has never been used cus was covered a thin coating of oil, still in the original plastic bag and all the the bearings and bushings and seals are pristine :)

Only thing was the ebay seller is a Global Shipping member and I know it shipped via USPS and arrived at my PO Box via Canada post but the Global Shipping tracks SUCKS :(

20170405_162346[1].jpg

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

Rest of the parts and tires/rim should be here Monday or Tuesday (IMO FortNine is awesome and shipped my order expedited Canada Post for free)
Washed the bike yesterday and started having at today and here are my pics of shame after 11 years of neglected for these stuff :(

So here is how bad about 10 spokes where and I'm cutting the spokes off with a grinder tomorrow cus they are all totally seize. New spokes will have anti-sieze and I'm going to never let them get this bad ever again.

20170409_141304.jpg.a28ec3d470f90041cdb7ab5362fcdc57.jpg

I been using duct tape as a liner on the rear and not actually that hard to take off but I'm done with this going forward.

20170409_145040.jpg.c03d1e23b4f6ba89405d4f86fdc27c87.jpg

I change my tires a lot and clean and use good waterproof grease on the bearings etc and BUT I should have done the front/rears sooner and ordered with the other stuff but I've now got them on order.

The rear sub assembly. This is what I noticed when I last changed my rear tire. Then had a good look and found the crack but really hard to see cus its tucked under the front.

20170409_130244.thumb.jpg.dbf00cca3cf9371e4eda7cdd4832a190.jpg

20170409_133747.jpg.a174210703330d5ca46891fccd69c9f3.jpg

20170409_133814.jpg.ff25ed192eed3f4c9663cf59092f7b58.jpg

The other linkage bearings are done.

Then obviously the swing arm bolt is seized and soaking in PB Blaster and will have tomorrow.

I mechanic buddy gave me some muffin tins

20170409_141143.thumb.jpg.811c460f6cf74cfe78b088b575cb9d55.jpg

20170409_143205.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 6:33 PM, filterx said:

Then I'll be working on the bike under my outside covered patio but man I hope it stops monsoon raining soon and I'm not getting wet its just not that inspiring.

20170329_180219[1].jpg

Throw down a tarp and work on it inside  :)

1.jpg

• Like 3

Update on my seized swing arm bolt.

I was super stressed about this cus worst cases I would have put back on enough parts that I could roll the bike to van and get it over to a buddies full shop.

First started applying PB Blaster to both sides (inside/outside) of the bolt. To me it looked like the bolt was seized on the right inside bushing so got a car and carefully tipped the bike over slightly to the right so the PB Blaster would get inside the bushing. I applied multiple sprays and let still from yesterday to about 15mins ago. With the bike on the stand and the nut on bolt so it was just flush to the end of the bolt, gave it a good smack with a hammer and YES I LOVE PB Blaster. Kept tapping the nut turning it out etc until I had to take it off - basically you do not want to destroy the end of the bolt. Then with a 12" 1/2 extension, gently tapped out the bolt.

So first thing try PB Blaster, let soak, repeat and make sure you can lean the bike over side to side for say an hour a side. You want to try and get good penetration and really let it soak for 24 to 48 hours if needed.

If the PB Blaster didn't work, I was going to make sure all the the chain guide was off the swing arm and remove the rear brake reservoir, the CAREFULLY have at it with a propane torch. Otherwise it would have been to the shop.

Got everything but the tires to day and going to have at cleaning all the hardware etc and having at installing the new bushing, seals bearings and MOST look like I can get them out at home but worst case if I have to got to a shop with a hydraulic press, its just the swing arm and not the whole bike :)

20170410_163337.thumb.jpg.ea43dc7a1edb01a03e5218351bd63bc0.jpg20170410_163308.jpg.31325a11f568f1d064e0f0d1efee2eb2.jpg20170410_163322.thumb.jpg.6c63363f04a9b945e560f512ef8d8056.jpg

EDIT: If you are planning on tipping the bike over, make sure you drain or remove the gas tank :)

I just noticed that I've got SC1 on the background in the swing are pic and NOT PB Blaster. SC1 is when the bike is finally back together :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

Just realized you need a blind bearing removal tool for the bearings in at least the lower linkage.

Did a YouTube search I can make this tool tomorrow for free :) if anyone is interested.

If your doing the swing arm do all of these as well

And this was the shrapnel that came out of the lower linkage.

20170410_173527.jpg.f223568f9f6ebb79d50987d0d15fc4c3.jpg20170410_173419.jpg.5ac3eb8987ff6741354d1dd149618bf1.jpg

Anyone else NOT checking this stuff at least every few years?

• Like 1

Wow, that makes me want to tear mine apart and clean it out immediately.

Ya I had at getting the hidden bearings out of the lower linkage today and IMO when its this bad its a 2 person job. I tried to find the part to make the tool in the vid and as close as I could get was this at Canadian Tire for $4. Took to a buddies shop, heat and popped out both easy. Tools a bit done but :) He then sand blasted the whole linkage and we installed the new bearings using a vice, socket, C-Clamp but a 2 person job for sure.

20170411_200850.jpg.b67485317c67a90f26798cbca03067c5.jpg

IMO Pivot Works makes excellent rebuild kits ans well worth the $$

Had at cleaning up the swing arm to remove the bushings and bearings tonight. All the needle bearings are still in place but pretty much seized. Back to the shop tomorrow for bearing removal/sand blasting/replacement and I'll post tomorrow :)

That looks like my old, clapped out 1982 CR250, before I replaced all those same parts. Neglect really does some damage.

14 hours ago, iceguy said:

No one living in Canada drinks Budweiser, do they?
Say it isn't so

Budwieser is the KING of beers.

• Like 1

After spending a LOT of time in Mexico, I want my beers to be ice cold and taste like water :)

Getting the bushing and bearings out of the swing arm was was easy (after 48hr PB Blast soaking) and didn't need heat. What did find out that is that ALL the bearings in the swing arm, lower linkage, sub assembly etc need to be pushed in flush. If they are not flush in the swing arm. you can't get it back in.

I really LIKE Pivot Works rebuild kits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filterx said:

After spending a LOT of time in Mexico, I want my beers to be ice cold and taste like water :)

Getting the bushing and bearings out of the swing arm was was easy (after 48hr PB Blast soaking) and didn't need heat. What did find out that is that ALL the bearings in the swing arm, lower linkage, sub assembly etc need to be pushed in flush. If they are not flush in the swing arm. you can't get it back in.

I really LIKE Pivot Works rebuild kits.

My first swingarm bearings were a discovery such as this also.

• Like 1