2017 Beta 300RR vs Sherco 300 Se-r

Looking at getting a new bike and keep on bouncing back and fourth between the 2017 beta and Sherco for a 300 two stroke.  I have owned ktm, yamaha and husqvarna and want to try something new that no one else i ride with has.

The oil injection really has me interested in the beta along with the adjustable powervalve and the kickstart is nice to have for piece of mind.  But i like the looks of the sherco better, larger fuel tank is handy and have heard really good things about them.

Just curious on what personal experience you guys have on them, pros and cons of each to try and persuade me to pick one.  I think it will end up being a coin toss to decide in the end.?

What's the price of each? I know two guys with Betas. A 250 and a 300. They seem to really like them. Unfortunately I haven't ridden either one. I do really like the oil injection. They get roughly 2-3 tanks per reservoir. That's way less than typical two strokes and saves the hassle of mixing/carrying a bottle around. Some purists might say there's a risk of blowing up the engine if it fails, but they have an indicator light and CRM250s back in the day had the reservoir as well. Pretty bullet prof imo. Can't comment on the Sherco. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitteeinbit said:

What's the price of each? I know two guys with Betas. A 250 and a 300. They seem to really like them. Unfortunately I haven't ridden either one. I do really like the oil injection. They get roughly 2-3 tanks per reservoir. That's way less than typical two strokes and saves the hassle of mixing/carrying a bottle around. Some purists might say there's a risk of blowing up the engine if it fails, but they have an indicator light and CRM250s back in the day had the reservoir as well. Pretty bullet prof imo. Can't comment on the Sherco. 

The prices are pretty much the same with the sherco being a couple hundred cheaper.  I am sure beta would match the price of the sherco.

There is a sherco dealer up the street. I've ridden with a guy who has a sherco and likes his.. He has a 300 4 stroke I think this time around. They look very nice.. another friend just got a 6 days sherco 300.. The thing is I'll never buy a bike with no kick start. I rather buy a kick start bike with no estart.. but no way am I buying one of those either. I have a Beta 300rr and that of course has estart and a kicker. I'm not going to get stuck in the mountains with no kick start.. As far as my Beta.. I love it. I won't go to any other brand..and all brands are good.. but Beta has proved to back up their product and has great service. There's a warranty too. Spend time in the Beta and Sherco threads and talk to guys who have them.. That will give you better idea..To me there isn't even a comparison. Beta is the better pick. It's obscure enough yet there's lots of aftermarket now and the bikes are proven.. As far as the price? must be different as Sherco in the past has been more expensive than Beta..How is parts availability for Sherco? Beta is excellent.. I get my parts super fast and there's everything. That's been from 2009 when I got my first Beta. Fit and finish on Sherco is nice though.. There is also TM if you are looking for obscure.. high end.. well made.. no estart but kicker and beautiful also.. and then there's gasgas that is back.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

There is a sherco dealer up the street. I've ridden with a guy who has a sherco and likes his.. He has a 300 4 stroke I think this time around. They look very nice.. another friend just got a 6 days sherco 300.. The thing is I'll never buy a bike with no kick start. I rather buy a kick start bike with no estart.. but no way am I buying one of those either. I have a Beta 300rr and that of course has estart and a kicker. I'm not going to get stuck in the mountains with no kick start.. As far as my Beta.. I love it. I won't go to any other brand..and all brands are good.. but Beta has proved to back up their product and has great service. There's a warranty too. Spend time in the Beta and Sherco threads and talk to guys who have them.. That will give you better idea..To me there isn't even a comparison. Beta is the better pick. It's obscure enough yet there's lots of aftermarket now and the bikes are proven.. As far as the price? must be different as Sherco in the past has been more expensive than Beta..How is parts availability for Sherco? Beta is excellent.. I get my parts super fast and there's everything. That's been from 2009 when I got my first Beta. Fit and finish on Sherco is nice though.. There is also TM if you are looking for obscure.. high end.. well made.. no estart but kicker and beautiful also.. and then there's gasgas that is back.

I think im going to go with the beta.  As for TM my buddy has one and they are pretty sweet, they are fast and have powerhouse for a motor but quite a bit harder to get one and to get parts for. i used to like gasgas but not liking their new style, and the fact they are getting past around between companies.  Was a little worried if they went under parts would be hard to get.  The closest dealer for any of these bikes is 5 hours away and beta does have the upper hand in parts availability.  Sherco dealer was having a promo on the sherco to get more interest in them and boost the sales so they were a little cheaper.  But ya they usual are a little higher in price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cnorton21 said:

I think im going to go with the beta.  As for TM my buddy has one and they are pretty sweet, they are fast and have powerhouse for a motor but quite a bit harder to get one and to get parts for. i used to like gasgas but not liking their new style, and the fact they are getting past around between companies.  Was a little worried if they went under parts would be hard to get.  The closest dealer for any of these bikes is 5 hours away and beta does have the upper hand in parts availability.  Sherco dealer was having a promo on the sherco to get more interest in them and boost the sales so they were a little cheaper.  But ya they usual are a little higher in price.

I think all bikes are good these days.. but I'm partial to Beta especially since I have had some since 09'. Right now Hawaii.. oahu has a flock of Beta.. especially 2 stroke... I mean for an exotic enduro bike that's on the other side of the world Betas have been selling out here. .. I think you'll be happy with a Beta.. you don't have to be ill like me and have 3..but I'm happy with mine.. The low seat height is great too. I'm taller but I like thicker padded seats like older bikes have.. all the current new brand 2 stroke enduros have tiny thin seats.. I got my lower seat height Beta and got a taller seat so I'm more comfortable too. I got a seat concepts seat . That's the best out there.. Anyway spend time looking and reading at the various Beta sites..on facebook there are groups too for that matter.. spend some time looking around to make sure.. and check out the sherco sites too.. just to see what guys like and don't like . I spent many years studying and researching while I rode my cr 250 honda I looked at what I wanted to upgrade.. was going to ktm first.. then gasgas.. then went to a Beta. I do have an old gasgas 300 that is good too..but it's a little small for me..at least that year is.. a 2001. Have fun researching!!!!

The sherco has an overflow Rez stock and a steeper steering head angle. They don't put a kickstart on so they can get the motor more centered and angle the pipe/mounts differently so it doesn't hang so far under the frame. What's to stop you from roll starting if it has issues? :excuseme:. Not like it will leave u stranded...

The sherco also has the battery and starter lower which should make for a better handling machine. Electric pv is like a dynamic kind of deal which is cool, and it has a switch. Linkage clevis designed for off road. Looks better. Bigger tank. No stupid oil injection. Keihin with the v force 4 stock. I like the sherco. 

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

The sherco has an overflow Rez stock and a steeper steering head angle. They don't put a kickstart on so they can get the motor more centered and angle the pipe/mounts differently so it doesn't hang so far under the frame. What's to stop you from roll starting if it has issues? :excuseme:. Not like it will leave u stranded...

The sherco also has the battery and starter lower which should make for a better handling machine. Electric pv is like a dynamic kind of deal which is cool , and it has a switch. Linkage clevis designed for off road. Looks better. Bigger tank. No stupid oil injection. Keihin with the v force 4 stock. I like the sherco. 

You ever ride one? A couple of friends have them..  One of the local guys who has one has had to be towed out already. The other just bought a new 6 days so we will see how that works...You ever get your battery dead on your bike and not have a kicker in the bottom of a ravine? guys do get stranded. You ever have an electric powervalve like on the later honda cr's? Honda guys like the 01 better..I agree with the oil injection.. don't like that..but the race edition doesn't come with oil injection.. Sherco is a nice bike.. but no kicker is still no kicker and I've been on multiple situations where the estart won't work for whatever reason.. no kicker is a huge loser. That alone over rides all potential attributes that may or may not be good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

You ever ride one? A couple of friends have them..  One of the local guys who has one has had to be towed out already. The other just bought a new 6 days so we will see how that works...You ever get your battery dead on your bike and not have a kicker in the bottom of a ravine? guys do get stranded. You ever have an electric powervalve like on the later honda cr's? Honda guys like the 01 better..I agree with the oil injection.. don't like that..but the race edition doesn't come with oil injection.. Sherco is a nice bike.. but no kicker is still no kicker and I've been on multiple situations where the estart won't work for whatever reason.. no kicker is a huge loser. That alone over rides all potential attributes that may or may not be good.

Nope haven't been on one although I have been on a beta. I know I like steep steering angles for the riding I do. 

Why would he need to be towed out? Starter locked the motor? Couldn't push it up a hill? The guys who can't roll start the bike from the bottom of a ravine should prolly focus on fitness rather than technical riding for a bit... Not worried about that..

Im sure there's been some innovations and development with the electric pv since the ol cr days lol... I think a load based pv is a better idea than springs.. Think high rpm low load wheel spin it's gonna stay shut..

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

Nope haven't been on one although I have been on a beta. I know I like steep steering angles for the riding I do. 

Why would he need to be towed out? Starter locked the motor? Couldn't push it up a hill? The guys who can't roll start the bike from the bottom of a ravine should prolly focus on fitness rather than technical riding for a bit... Not worried about that..

Im sure there's been some innovations and development with the electric pv since the ol cr days lol... I think a load based pv is a better idea than springs.. Think high rpm low load wheel spin it's gonna stay shut..

So it hasn't happened to you so the rest is guessing..  

This is flat land..and it still sucks.. you think a steering angle and electric pv is more important than a kickstarter? ok.. buy a sherco.. nice bikes.

look up another bike without a kickstart and estart.. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

So it hasn't happened to you so the rest is guessing..  

This is flat land..and it still sucks.. you think a steering angle and electric pv is more important than a kickstarter? ok.. buy a sherco.. nice bikes.

look up another bike without a kickstart and estart.. 

HDR you crack me up, those videos were like watching a bunch of monkeys trying to f a football ?.

4 guys wrestling one bike?! Cute. We don't get that kind of mud out here..

I have been in the gnar by myself when I lost the hydro clutch and could only roll start if it stalled... I fear no roll start after that, still not worried about it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

HDR you crack me up, those videos were like watching a bunch of monkeys trying to f a football ?.

4 guys wrestling one bike?! Cute. We don't get that kind of mud out here..

I have been in the gnar by myself when I lost the hydro clutch and could only roll start if it stalled... I fear no roll start after that, still not worried about it. 

Sound's like a new Sherco is the bike for you!!!

• Like 2

Im sippin on that koolaid and believe in that low center of gravity stuff. They say there's a reason they couldn't fit the kicker because of the placement of the motor. Also so they could tuck the pipe.. Starter might break but seriously, chances are slim to none I won't be able get myself out.

image.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

Im sippin on that koolaid and believe in that low center of gravity stuff. They say there's a reason they couldn't fit the kicker because of the placement of the motor. Also so they could tuck the pipe.. Starter might break but seriously, chances are slim to none I won't be able get myself out.

image.png

Buy and let us know... bring a strap...and a jumper battery..?:ride: ..oh and friends.  

I love my 300 rr it has much more than this bike even though this is a nice looking bike . To me an estart bike without a kicker is below a bike with a kicker but no estart.. It's fundamentally flawed from the beginning. Actually a husky or ktm is way better than this bike..and I'd get a Beta over a husky or ktm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casing-daily said:

Come on pal, who are you kidding. Lets see you push a bike up a steep hill or bump start in a ravine. There are some places where you have to have a kicker if the battery goes dead. The Sherco's look to be nice. OTOH, I'm not sure the French have such a good track record for reliable products.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Buy and let us know... bring a strap...and a jumper battery..?:ride:   

I love my 300 rr it has much more than this bike even though this is a nice looking bike . 

Besides a kicker, the only thing the beta has that the sherco doesn't is oil injection (which is crap).

Sherco has factory integrated overflow Rez, better designed pipe/linkage, and map/pv switch. Also has better carb and reeds. Reliability? It's a 2 stroke, come on..

I don't want a new Ktm which will cost several k more, with air forks and a shit carb/reed cage/head. I've talked to a new xc owner in the woods that said his forks collapsed already so the word on the street is that whole quad seal fix thing is bs..

Edited by Casing-daily

Alright HDR the beta is a nice bike with the exception of the oil injection, I'll give you that. I'll only say it once.

Maybe not as nice as the sherco, but still nice. ?

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

Besides a kicker, the only thing the beta has that the sherco doesn't is oil injection (which is crap).

Sherco has factory integrated overflow Rez, better designed pipe/linkage, and map/pv switch. Also has better carb and reeds. Reliability? It's a 2 stroke, come on..

I don't want a new Ktm which will cost several k more, with air forks and a shit carb/reed cage/head. I've talked to a new xc owner in the woods that said his forks collapsed already so the word on the street is that whole quad seal fix thing is bs..

Nice try but you havent even seen one..:excuseme: ..let alone ride one and know.. or even have any friends that have em so you could ride or even ask them how they run.. or see them in a trail.. keep reading those specs and fantasizing.. really buy one and let us know how it is... and no one has to get an oil injection on a Beta. It's a choice.. get a race edition . It has no oil injection.. but some like oil injection.. not me but others do..  plus Beta has BYOB if one wants.. bikes can be custom built and delivered to you already set up.. if you want. it's right on the beta website. No other brand does that... a custom ordered bike from the factory set up exactly how you want... Suspension can be set up.. big tank.. different seat.. tires.. guards.. You wont get that from other brands.. I didn't go that route as it takes longer and I wanted my bike faster.. plus I already had some parts ready to go on that I had.

As far as ktm? you don't need to buy a ktm with an air fork.. buy the xcw.. or exc . They come with a spring fork.. 

Also.. no electric powervalve for Beta.. i don't want that.. plus the powervalve on a Beta is easily adjusted with a little allen wrench.

• Like 2