So I'm new to the forum plz don't be hard on me if I say something dumb hahaha

Today I bought a 2001 kx 125 that is in fairly good cosmetic condition but needs a top and bottom rebuild. This is the third bike I've bought for me and my brother to pick away at as a project. Im 18 and I'm still in school so I don't have lots of money so if you guys could point me in the most cost effective way that doesn't sacrifice too much quality that'd be cool (don't roast me for being cheap I know ya gotta pay to play and I'd rather it last than do this again a week after I get it running) . It for sure needs a rod kit and entire top end (cylinder has some digs) but I'm gonna do crank bearings and all the seals while I'm in there for peace of mind?. i just have a few questions.

Best place (within Canada preferably) to get a cylinder replated? 

It came with "DEP" pipe and silencer what's the deal on those?

is there any disadvantages of going with a rod kit rather than the entire crank assembly?

i noticed pro-x parts are quite a lot cheaper than others.. is that a viable option? 

Thats all for now I'll post some pics below

Thanks

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

• Like 1

How much did you pay? Was the engine disassembled when you got it? Just out of curiosity what province are you in? If you use a pro-x rod you should be fine. And and oem crank is about $360 CAD. Also because of the exchange rate to US dollars getting a replate is gonna be really expensive. Even a re sleeve with new piston is gonna run you about $300-400+ CAD. I would measure the bore on the cylinder and consider just getting it bored if that is possible. Again crappy exchange rate you're looking at an easy $700+ and thats assuming its just a bare bones rebuild. I wish you the best of luck. Also just looked it up and says you can get a new oem cylinder for about $670 CAD. Maybe something to consider when you have to factor in shipping your cylinder out, the wait, etc. 

Edited by TheKX500boi

I paid 500, and the motor was all apart when I got it by the looks of the piston I'd say someone just rebuilt it and left the crank alone and they paid for it. A couple of people have told me that cvtech in Quebec is a good place to get your cylinder replated. I definitely need to keep it inside Canada because I do not wanna be screwed with exchange rates I was hoping to find a cylinder on eBay but no luck. The first thing I'm worried about is the cylinder and I'll keep you guys posted on what I do.

thanksIMG_0317.PNGIMG_0321.PNG

Oh btw I'm in Nova Scotia

Wooo way over on the east coast. Anyway I would try my best to keep it in Canada as well but you might have to do it in the US who knows. US Chrome is well known for cylinder replating and L.A Sleeve are well known for re-sleeving ( they may replate I have no idea ). Also 500 isn't too bad. You could have paid more or less. I would be weary about parts missing though. 

http://www.usnicom.com/

https://www.lasleeve.com/

On 2017-04-01 at 0:26 AM, TheKX500boi said:

Wooo way over on the east coast. Anyway I would try my best to keep it in Canada as well but you might have to do it in the US who knows. US Chrome is well known for cylinder replating and L.A Sleeve are well known for re-sleeving ( they may replate I have no idea ). Also 500 isn't too bad. You could have paid more or less. I would be weary about parts missing though. 

http://www.usnicom.com/

https://www.lasleeve.com/

So right now I have two options 

buy a new oem cylinder on a Canadian website I found for 495 shipping/taxes in 

OR

Get my cylinder shipped off and replated at CVTECH where I heard they do a great job for around 420$ with shipping and all that jazz.

I heard from a few forums that the coating that replated cylinders get is harder and more durable that the oem plating. Is that bs? Also, does anyone know if I should also send out the new piston/rings if I want to get it replated?

Yeah, the missing parts idea has scared me a little bit too but I'm also not gonna go digging through partfisches trying to see if it's all there. It looks organized so that gives me hope.. I paid 500 for the bike and I'm realistically going to put about 8-900 dollars into for a total of around 1400 which to me is pretty good considering I know what I'll have. I hate buying bikes that run and I know that sounds dumb but I have anxiety about what might be ready to blow. In my province they go for about 2000-2500. My buddy paid 2400 for an 02 kx125 and the big end bearing let go on his second ride ? 

Ill keep keep you guys posted

Could possible be better than oem cylinder. OR they want you to let THEM replate your cylinder instead of buying a new one. And no you don't want to get your piston or rings "plated". Because the point is that the piston and rings wear out not the cylinder. 

i have read that the chrome plating on late 90's early 2000's kx's ( not sure the exact year) was not as durable as some others, but not sure how long they have to be run for it to become an issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I sent the cylinder away to CVTech in Quebec. 329 for the replate and 15 shipping each way. Now just gotta save some money again and get the rest of the parts to fix this junk.

con rod kit

crank bearings and seals

other oil seals

gaskets

and a whole lotta brake cleaner ?

Im planning on making a YouTube video of putting it all back together and first start. If you guys are interested I'll drop a link!

also does anyone know of high heat paint that isn't black that'll look good on my expansion chamber? I use black every time just kind of bored of it

IMG_0356.PNG

IMG_0380.PNG

Also I should probably add that I bought the piston kit as well through cvtech!

For brake / parts cleaner, avoid Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart with their overpriced 6$ cans,

go to your local auto parts / tractor supply store, when purchased by the case (12 cans) it often comes out to about 3-4$ a can.

Edited by mlatour

• 2 weeks later...

So I received my cylinder back from cvtech and now have a horror story to report lol. I bought a piston through them and despite me mentioning at least 3 times in the note the model of my bike they sent me a piston from a kmx125.. they used this piston for reference as well when they plated my cylinder.. so now I gotta send it back so they can fix it

• 2 months later...