My 13&14 250Sx's

Not to go into total reiteration, but in 2012 I decided to stay with 2-strokes, but my 06 CR was getting too long in the tooth to keep rebuilding.  I decided I would buy a new bike every year, instead of constantly rebuilding them.  So I sold all my Honda 450's, CR134, my ole CR250, and the pile of worn extra's too.  

Wasn't sure what brand I wanted to settle with, but I had seen KTM's at the tracks, but didn't like the color orange, or the name KTM.  Plus it was an Austrian bike, and working on European cars, I wanted nothing to do with an over engineered, unreliable, expensive money pit.   Well, put me between a frame rail and axle, and call me shocked, I was wrong.  I was at 3-Palms and someone offered me a test ride on their 2012 250SX, it was an immediate fit, and bit of surprise at the power, but it was doable.

So I ventured up to Munn Racing and purchased a 2013 250Sx.  Although very stiff and harsh compared to my CR, I took a liking to it over time, and it was very fast, and reliable.  After about 50 hours, I figured it was worn out like other 2-strokes, so I banned it to the corner of the shop, drove up to Munn and purchased a 2014 250SX.  I got real busy racing and riding in 2014 and 2015, and did not purchase a new bike in 2015 or 2016.

Well next thing I know, it's 2017 and my 2014 has 220 hours on it.  Within that 220 hours, I have performed 3 top ends, chains, a few sprockets and tires.  It still has the original crank and clutch.  The connecting rod axial and side play are still within spec.  Some of this longevity may be attributed to KTM's engineering, but also I used 112 race fuel and 927 Castor.  The race gas was not necessary, as it runs no better than it did on pump gas, but I didn't want ethanol syrup near my bikes.  Another possible contributing factor to its longevity, is I tend to be a low rpm rider.  Once I roll out of the gate, I stay moving, and most of the time I can do ruts in 4th.  I have the soft exhaust spring installed, and it lights up at low rpm.  It darn near rides like a 4-stroke.  Although I start in 3rd, I roll out quietly, and rarely use the clutch once going.  Plus I use Mobil 1 ATF in the gear box.  I also leave the white connector under the gas tank connected for the lower power mode.

Well then I got to a thinking, if this 14 held up this well, I have a new 13 pouting in the corner of the shop.  So I let it out of time out, and begged it for forgiveness.  To get back on it's good side, I purchased the following items new from KTM:  top end, seat, chain sliders/guard, chain, sprockets, fork seals, complete wheel assemblies with bearings, seals, spacers, brake rotors, spokes, tires tubes, and throttle cable.  Aftermarket items include:  Acerbis plastic, front and rear wheel lock retainer nut and sleeve, FMF pipe, and fork fluid.  I also stripped it down to the frame and greased linkage bearings, swing arm bearings, steering head bearings with Mobil 1 synthetic grease, transmission fluid, brake fluids, greased foot brake pivots, rear brake pads, synthetic caliper slide pin grease.  I took it to Rio 2 weeks ago, and put about an hour of night practice on it.  Although it rode similar to the 14, it had a tighter feel and crispness to it.  

Now I've banned it to the corner of the shop again, drove up to Munn, purchased a 2017 #####, and decided to sell the 13 SX while it's still cute, fresh and fast.

I reckon I said all this to say, KTM has been the most reliable bikes I've owned, and pretty darn fast too.

Tomorrow I'll blabber on about the 17, but really make an effort to keep it short.........:rolleyes:

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

The idea of a bike being worn out at 50 hours is amazing to me. 

There was guy in the yz 2t forums who had over 1000 hours in a crank. If I remember desert riding. 

20 hours ago, seer said:

The idea of a bike being worn out at 50 hours is amazing to me. 

There was guy in the yz 2t forums who had over 1000 hours in a crank. If I remember desert riding. 

The 13 certainly wasn't, I just assumed it was.  It's like a Toyota, just getting warmed up.

I could see a 1000 hours with the right conditions.

My 14 is at 220 and it's all Mx.