Is a 5" kid too small for a 2005 Cr85 big wheel?

My son found a cheap used Cr85 big wheel on Craigslist, I don't know if it will be too big. He is just under 5" and around 83lbs. Is the bike to tall for him, I would really appreciate any answers. Thanks!!

Edited by Chase Little
Miss spell

He might be a bit short for it right now. Why not go look at it and have him sit on it?

My son found a cheap used Cr85 big wheel on Craigslist, I don't know if it will be too big. He is just under 5" and around 83lbs. Is the bike to tall for him, I would really appreciate any answers. Thanks!!

At 5" he might fit on a G.I. Joe toy motorcycle.

At 5' he could ride a CR85 bigwheel if he doesn't scare easily and doesn't mind crashing a few times. If he tends to be a more timid kid then getting him something that he can easily flat foot both feet would be a better idea.
  • Like 7

He's on the short side for a RB but he will grow into it very quickly.  Getting an RB for him now will keep him on the 85 for at least a year longer than if you bought the small wheel 85.  He will have to not mind riding something that feels really tall to him for a while though.

4'-8" 9 yo on cr85rb with less than 40hrs of seat time. When sitting on the bike, his feet are 6" from touching the ground so I hold the bike while he takes off. He will be growing into this bike for at least 2 years and will probably be on this one until 11-13 yo. If the bike is in good condition I would buy it

DSCF1380.JPG

Edited by mxsteve1968
  • Like 1

I just bought my son an 06 CR85 RB big wheel and he's tall for 12 yrs at 5'6" 120lb so maybe the small wheel would be better for your son. They are the same bike with different suspension parts. Download the user's manual free online and it explains the weight ranges for both.

Everyone has their opinion but I want my kid on a bike that fits him then upgrade when he's ready and my son is a pretty conservative rider. Balls of the feet should touch the ground. We ride track and desert and this helps when learning when he stalls it on a hill. Touching the ground also makes my son feel more confident. Stock bike is setup for 100 to 150 lb person and I prefer to have the suspension setup for the rider. The big wheels were made for kids that grew early so they wouldn't have to ride a 125. My son was on a XR100 for three years and it was perfect for learning until he starting maxing out the suspension. In retrospect, I don't think it would have been good for him to start him on the CR85 but it can be done and that depends on the kid. Even though he has a few year's under his belt he still is not used to the CR so we are taking it slow. Also, be careful when buying a used bike. It would suck to have to rebuild the engine instead of riding with your son. There are a number of clues to tell if it's spent.

Edited by knd roy