BMW 325 convertible to haul my dirt bike

I figured out a really nice way of getting around with my dirt bike. I have a nice 2004 BMW 325i convertible and figured out how to 

quickly load and carry my dirt bike. I found a great company to make me a custom heavy duty and raised 2" hitch for the beemer 

and then mounted a slightly modified Ultimate MX hauler. I just roll my dirt bike over the lower Ultimate MX Hauler, bolt the bike on,

drop the soft top, sling on some Euro trash sun glasses and off I go.33692540176_60826b27bd_c.jpg

33692544556_17234bbf8d_c.jpg

32890450844_975cb4d3d4_c.jpg

It's really nice to go on a road trip with the roof down, fine stereo playing, car is still nice and sporty driving up the kern river valley.

It's really nice to not have to go through the hassle of using my trailer. Much quicker load and "deploy" time. 

No compressed suspension. Great milage.

While my KTM 350 exc-f is a street legal dual sport I only ride dirt with it and don't like to ride street with it (or any other bike), so this combo of the BMW 325ci

and the KTM 350 exc-f is my new dual sport and replaces my Yamaha Super Tenere.

The custom hitch was for the BMW was built by www.eckharts.com . They did a great job and rated the hitch setup on this car at about 500Lbs lip weight.

Far more than I need for the KTM that sighs less than half of that.

Since taking the photos I have modified the Ultimate MX Hauler so that it places the dirt bike much closer to the car. Much better.

It's nice to get 30+ mpg and travel in style.

It's a real conversation starter! Can't stop for gas without someone coming over and asking about the setup.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, clappedoutkx said:

I came to this thread really hoping to find a bike disassembled in the backseat of a beemer....

Good on you for figuring out your hauler!

That's damn funny! Sort of thing I have been known to do. I did take a 45 HP engine and Zodiac boat for it on a train from Milan to Barcelona.... as personal luggage (not cargo). The following year I upgraded to a Renault 4 that was running on 3 cylinders, but also took a new kitchen sink with me...

How much rear suspension travel is left after loading the KTM?

How does the front steering behaviour change?

What do speed bumps feel like with this setup?

Does it wheelie?
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, speedtoad said:

Does it wheelie?

The dirt bike has a mind of it's own..... thinks it's a unicycle.

Unfortunately the car does not wheelie..... damn engine is in the front.

Got to bet me a Porsche or a VW bug.

On 4/1/2017 at 6:49 AM, BlackBuzzard said:

Steering is just fine. The car is rear wheel drive and motor is a big ass 6 cylinder inline. Motor is placed very forward in the engine bar.

There is still heaps of suspension travel. It's a 4 seater car And I mainly use it alone or with just one front passenger.

The car is rated to carry 4 adults (german ones and we tend to be big) and a boot full of luggage. 

I'm 220lbs and the bike is 240lbs.

The bike is 6 inches further forward now with my final setup.

Speed bumps are not a problem if I just take them slowly. The hitch is designed much higher than standard sedan hitches.

Edited by Fango

There's no way that hitch is rated at that weight being held like that. I see shocks and struts in your near future. And tons of other issues. Small trailers are where it's at! You paid a lot of money to have to pay a lot of money. That thing is dangerous. 

5 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

How is your rear visibility?

Great view of a dirt bike!

Actually not bad. Pretty much as bad as when hauling a couple of bicycles.

I also have a rear view camera I can use at any time.

Edited by Fango
  • Like 1

Easy to see thru bicycles, no way to see thru that KTM.  Also, that bike IS more than half your hitch rating. Good luck.

Edited by YHGEORGE