Where is my power!

Hey guys, still trying to work on the drz. Trying to get more power from it, it seems like its lacking. It has a FCR-MX , 3x3 and I ride at 4500' . I just jetted to a 145, clip3 , EMR needle. I guess I could change the needle to EMP which may be a little better but, just saw Gladius John on youtube. He just installed a FCR and the bike pulls up in second! I can get the wheel an inch off the ground in first when I open it up. The only difference would be me running a stock exhuast. Would this really make that much differnce? Is my next step to remove my carb and start playing with other jets? 

Heres the video I am referring too. 

It will definitely help, the stock pipe is super corked up. You could gut it, but that would mean another rejet when you get a real pipe. You also need to consider your sprocket ratio vs the guy's in the video. If your'e trying to wheelie, lean back more.

Edited by HansLanda
  • Like 1

Drz completely stock (Even Sm gearing) can clutch up 2nd gear easily even with poor technique. I have run stock drz with just 3x3 and fcr for a while and that could clutch up 3rd pretty well. Imo It comes down to technique mostly. I will say though I am rarely 2,000 ASL, you being 4,500 has to have an impact somewhat.

• Like 1

I still need to master clutch ups. I can pop them up in first easily but second is a different story. Jetting should solve the altitude power loss though. I was just so impressed he could power wheelie so easily in 2nd gear where mine barely does it in first. 

17 minutes ago, bricew25 said:

I still need to master clutch ups. I can pop them up in first easily but second is a different story. Jetting should solve the altitude power loss though. I was just so impressed he could power wheelie so easily in 2nd gear where mine barely does it in first. 

Bounce the forks and lean back. I have 16/39 and can clutch up in 3rd but it takes a big bounce.

• Like 1

With those ratio's , will I still be able to ride the freeway? Id still like to hit 80mph

16 minutes ago, bricew25 said:

With those ratio's , will I still be able to ride the freeway? Id still like to hit 80mph

I have more mods than you, but 80 is no problem with my sprockets. I have no idea what the RPM is of course, and would love to shift up, but it can do it.

Must be my black and red 07 haha, but ya I think for now Ill keep the gearing stock. 

Jetting does not make up for power losses induced by altitude. My understanding is you have a power loss of approximately 3% for every 1,000 ft ASL. This is a given even if your bike is jetted correctly for both altitudes.

Example

Take two bone stock drz bikes each jetted to run perfect AFR ratio on dynos. One bike is at 5000 ft ASL the other is at sea level, keeping all other variables like temperature and humidity constant the sea level bike should put out more power.

Funny thing is I used to fly RC helis a lot and the power loss at altitude was applicable even with electric powered models (amazing power to weight machines weighing 12 lbs putting out 10 HP not unusual) . Air density:)

I ride at 5200ft and my 434 DRZ with an MRD FCR39mx perfectly jetted would not power wheelie unless I was way back on the seat and ripping the bars. Clutch ups in 2nd and it would help when riding in cooler weather since it affects air density (o2 availability). Needless to say i sold that bike for a 2012 wr450 :ride:

My advice: GET A flowing EXHAUST. you have an FCR and other necessary mods this will complement it very nicely. Then throw in a 150 main jet. EMP or EMQ is the way to go

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dspy21 said:

I ride at 5200ft and my 434 DRZ with an MRD FCR39mx perfectly jetted would not power wheelie unless I was way back on the seat and ripping the bars. Clutch ups in 2nd and it would help when riding in cooler weather since it affects air density (o2 availability). Needless to say i sold that bike for a 2012 wr450 :ride:

My advice: GET A flowing EXHAUST. you have an FCR and other necessary mods this will complement it very nicely. Then throw in a 150 main jet. EMP or EMQ is the way to go

I notice the exact same thing when its cooler outside, it pulls harder then usual! Thank you for the suggestion, I will be looking at exhausts. I wish there was a better section to find used ones somewhere. I try ebay often with not much luck.

Just got back from lunch break, and can confirm that 4th gear wheelies are possible with 16/39. It's just a matter of starting at the right speed, just before the power (about 40-45 mph for me, still dialing it in), getting a big fork bounce, then leaning back ASAP! I had to start it standing up, jam the suspension down, then quickly switch to sitting at the back of the seat and pull the bars back. I'm not great at it yet, but when I did get a few good ones, it came up quicker than you'd expect. The fast weight transfer to the rear is what's key (on top of everything else being timed just right).

• Like 2

Just got back from lunch break, and can confirm that 4th gear wheelies are possible with 16/39. It's just a matter of starting at the right speed, just before the power (about 40-45 mph for me, still dialing it in), getting a big fork bounce, then leaning back ASAP! I had to start it standing up, jam the suspension down, then quickly switch to sitting at the back of the seat and pull the bars back. I'm not great at it yet, but when I did get a few good ones, it came up quicker than you'd expect. The fast weight transfer to the rear is what's key (on top of everything else being timed just right).

Excellent!

I still miss clutching up 3rd sometimes even on stock 15/41 gearing. . This is a great example of technique vs power. :)
  • Like 1