Too Much For Older Bikes?

Well I'm in the market for a 450 or 250 2 stroke to compliment my newer yz 250f. I've been searching around and HOLY COW people are wanting outrageous prices for older bikes! I just want a woods bike I can play with as the 250f is my "Race Bike" (I'm a C class hero). The bikes I'm seeing here in Illinois are like 07 and older and they want like $3500+ for bikes with like 60+ hours on stock components! I know some bikes are worth it but where is everyone finding their deals? Are people wanting crazy prices in your areas?

I realized, people who really are in to motocross usualy have descent and might be little high price on CL at least is i bike with maintenance history , the bad part is the people who has no idea why the hell they bought a dirt bike on 1st place and want to get rid of them and then try to make %500 on profit.

Like 2008 crf 150 with tons of upgrades (mostly stickers and renthal bar pad) for like $2800 or a 2005 kx 250f for over 3k and no title.

What about low ballers???

People need to realize that adding an exhaust and graphics does not add value to a bike 

5 hours ago, motox331 said:

Well I'm in the market for a 450 or 250 2 stroke to compliment my newer yz 250f. I've been searching around and HOLY COW people are wanting outrageous prices for older bikes! I just want a woods bike I can play with as the 250f is my "Race Bike" (I'm a C class hero). The bikes I'm seeing here in Illinois are like 07 and older and they want like $3500+ for bikes with like 60+ hours on stock components! I know some bikes are worth it but where is everyone finding their deals? Are people wanting crazy prices in your areas?

yeah their a lot of um high...

try all of craiglist???

just put in your choice of search an how far out you wanna go...

and keep checking a couple times a day,,, you'll score especially if your willing to drive a ways to buy...

Edited by THUMPERRRR

I will have to disagree some how with you, I think with exhaust prices nowadays, the cheapest  will not run below $600 and that's just for slip ons, The bike will hold more value down the road. I guess with 2 strokes is not as bad a four strokes bikes.

There are plenty of deals on craigslist.  You have to have cash and be ready to snap up the deals quickly.  I don't buy new anymore.  There are too many almost new low hour bikes out there.  Just be patient and when the right deal comes along jump on it.  My two most current bikes are Craigslist buys.  A 2013 YZ125 I bought for 3K in late 2015.  The bike had been ridden 3 times and had less than 5 hours.  It was essentially new.  Also a 2015 YZ450 which I bought last year for 5200.  Bike had about 40 hours but was spotless and came with THOUSANDS of dollars worth of aftermarket parts and spares.  I bought both bikes the same day they were posted.  The 07's you see for 3500 will still be on there next month when you look.

• Like 3

Yeah I've also noticed people are out of their minds... I can't even find a halfway decent 2000-2007 2T for under $3000. In fact most of them are roached out and would've gone for under $1500 just a few years back.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MXGuy34 said:

I will have to disagree some how with you, I think with exhaust prices nowadays, the cheapest  will not run below $600 and that's just for slip ons, The bike will hold more value down the road. I guess with 2 strokes is not as bad a four strokes bikes.

I agree it may add a few hundred but don't add full cost of the exhaust to the asking price.

• Like 1

Yeah I've also noticed people are out of their minds... I can't even find a halfway decent 2000-2007 2T for under $3000. In fact most of them are roached out and would've gone for under $1500 just a few years back.

Since June 2016 prices up 750$ on average for each ridable machine.

Said screw it and started looking at 125s. Got a good deal for a quality back up bike. Fun riding too. 125s still go cheap but most are completely roached.
  • Like 1

Since June 2016 prices up 750$ on average for each ridable machine.

Said screw it and started looking at 125s. Got a good deal for a quality back up bike. Fun riding too. 125s still go cheap but most are completely roached.

I'm pretty much at the point where I think I'm going to buy a 450 next because I can get one that is 10 years newer than a two stroke for about the same price. That's how crazy it is where I'm at. Supply and demand.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, motox331 said:

I agree it may add a few hundred but don't add full cost of the exhaust to the asking price.

I would not pay one penny more for a bike with an aftermarket exhuast.  It MIGHT be a value add if it is a mod you would do after purchasing the bike but adds no value.  Stock exhaust are usually way more durable and trouble free than aftermarket. Always ask for the stock stuff too when buying.  Fancy exhaust breaks and then you are stuck replacing it with another fancy exhaust since stock stuff is expensive.

• Like 3

I would not pay one penny more for a bike with an aftermarket exhuast.  It MIGHT be a value add if it is a mod you would do after purchasing the bike but adds no value.  Stock exhaust are usually way more durable and trouble free than aftermarket. Always ask for the stock stuff too when buying.  Fancy exhaust breaks and then you are stuck replacing it with another fancy exhaust since stock stuff is expensive.

Plus one.

8 hours ago, PetersRacing331 said:

Things are getting ridiculous here in northern Illinois. https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/6067581232.html

that bike is not valid for this thread...someone will pay that, it is a collectible and relatively rare 'Zook in great shape, desired by many in the Evo/Post Vintage  scene.

• Like 2