Ktm 300 quit running correctly all at once

I was riding my 09 300 xcw yesterday and I held it wide open and it started missing slightly and the 30 seconds later it bogged and shut off and it took a while for it to start back up and now if you go wot it just Boggs like a kill switch and it just wants to bogg randomly but sometimes it will open up and rip but mostly it just wants to bogg and I put a new plug in it and it did nothing. I can't figure it out because it went from running flawlessly to this. Any help is appreciated

Start with the basics:  Inspect and clean carburetor, are all the jet passages clean, or clogged?  If clogged, then that's most likely the culprit.

Start with the basics:  Inspect and clean carburetor, are all the jet passages clean, or clogged?  If clogged, then that's most likely the culprit.

Yeah I just talked to my cousin(previous owner) and he said I does this at least once a year and said it's the pilot jet

Debris or water in the carb would do that.  You might want to check the power valve, make sure it is ok.   I have had two machines in the last few years (one old KTM, one Honda) that had disagreeable ignition coils.  The over rev was terrible.  I found the issue by swapping parts from my brother's KTM that ran perfectly until the culprit was found.

Debris or water in the carb would do that.  You might want to check the power valve, make sure it is ok.   I have had two machines in the last few years (one old KTM, one Honda) that had disagreeable ignition coils.  The over rev was terrible.  I found the issue by swapping parts from my brother's KTM that ran perfectly until the culprit was found.

Ok thanks for the input I will check that as well

1 hour ago, 01cr250ripper said:

Yeah I just talked to my cousin(previous owner) and he said I does this at least once a year and said it's the pilot jet

The pilot jet has nothing to do with bogging at WOT.

I agree about checking for water in the fuel. Make sure you didn't forget to add premix oil to the fuel. Make sure you have the petcock positioned right for being fully open. It can be vague. If you're unsure, pull the line from the petcock, install a longer piece and have a catch container ready. Open the petcock slowly and find the position that you get the most flow. Mark that on the petcock with a permanent marker. Find the definite OFF position too.

Edited by Trailryder42

The pilot jet has nothing to do with bogging at WOT.
I agree about checking for water in the fuel. Make sure you didn't forget to add premix oil to the fuel. Make sure you have the petcock positioned right for being fully open. It can be vague. If you're unsure, pull the line from the petcock, install a longer piece and have a catch container ready. Open the petcock slowly and find the position that you get the most flow. Mark that on the petcock with a permanent marker. Find the definite OFF position too.

The fuel has premix in it and there was no way for water to get in it unless it was in the tank at the gas station, wouldn't I beable to see the water in the can? and it can't be the the petcock because I know where the on and off position is.

1 hour ago, 01cr250ripper said:

The fuel has premix in it and there was no way for water to get in it unless it was in the tank at the gas station, wouldn't I beable to see the water in the can? and it can't be the the petcock because I know where the on and off position is.

The gas station is exactly the most probable way to get water in your fuel. Premix and water don't mix. Water is heavier than fuel, so it sits at the bottom of the tank/fuel can. You may or may not be able to see it in the colored premix. Best way is to drain the carb into a clear container and take a sample from the tank petcock.

Edited by Trailryder42

The gas station is exactly the most probable way to get water in your fuel. Premix and water don't mix. Water is heavier than fuel, so it sits at the bottom of the tank/fuel can. You may or may not be able to see it in the colored premix. Best way is to drain the carb into a clear container and take a sample from the tank petcock.

Ok I will give that a try

water goes to the bottom of the tank and accumulates in the float bowl...

(often) there's a float bowl drain screw to drain any accumulated water...

thats first thing I'd do...

Edited by THUMPERRRR
  • Like 1

I know my old 250 xcw liked to vibrate the top of the spark plug loose on my way to work...

I know my old 250 xcw liked to vibrate the top of the spark plug loose on my way to work...

I just put a new spark plug in it though..

2 hours ago, 01cr250ripper said:

The fuel has premix in it and there was no way for water to get in it unless it was in the tank at the gas station, wouldn't I be able to see the water in the can? 

Gas stations always have water in their tanks. You want to buy gas from a station that sells a ton of gas. And don't keep gas in a can or worse, your bike, over the winter.
No, you will not be able to see it. Sometimes it mixes fairly well with the gasoline, but it will still cause trouble in a two stroke.

Also, gasohol is far worse, since the alcohol absorbs water all the time. Gasohol is evil.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 01cr250ripper said:

Image1490924374.728757.jpg update I think I found the culprit... lol

I'm not sure that's it, you should keep looking.  

• Like 2

You should take the head off and remove the pieces that are probably on to of the piston.

• Like 1

I rode it home after this happened so it probably has around 45 minutes on it after this happened so I doubt there's any pieces left