02 yz with 05 forks question

So I picked up an 02 yz 250 for cheap with plans of fixing her up.  I got it home and noticed it has 2005 forks on it.  My question is what all parts had to be changed out to do this swap.  I'm sure if I looked at 20 different threads I could piece together what all had to be done,  but I was hoping someone could be so kind as to inform me here in one spot.  I've read about the 06 swap in the later models,  but not about an 05 swap in an 02. I'd like to know what all had to be different for ordering parts for the rebuild.  Ive never owned an older steel frame yz and didn't know the forks weren't 02 until I went to out new fork guards on and the bolt pattern was different,  which led me to researching what was on it.  Also since the 05 and 06 are both 48mm woukd the 06 and up forks bolt right up?  And would it be worth going to the sss forks?  I really liked them on my 450s but if the 05s are good forks too,  I'll just spend the money on a rebuild and valve job.

Thank you in advance for any help  

I also have an 02 with 05 AOSS forks, had them rebuilt and they work great

I needed the steering stem, which is slightly shorter on the 02,  pressed into the 05 clamps so it would fit in my 02 frame

Thats all

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply!  So then brake line, caliper, axle and spacers are all the same as the 02?

15 hours ago, chrispick said:

I also have an 02 with 05 AOSS forks, had them rebuilt and they work great

I needed the steering stem, which is slightly shorter on the 02,  pressed into the 05 clamps so it would fit in my 02 frame

Thats all

Same here. I converted my 05 to 09 SSS forks and the only thing I needed to do was to have the 05 steering stem pressed into the 09 triple clamps I used. I also used the 09 front brake assembly.

09 SSS Forks, Triple Clamps, Front Brake Assembly, Shock.jpeg