YZ250 Crankcase Engravings/Matching Numbers

Recently I discovered that the last 4 digits on my frame do not match the last 4 on the engine. The last 4 digits of both are 54XX with the last two numbers only being 11 apart. I would think that the chances of buying a case that had a number that close is very slim. Could it be a manufacturer mistake?

Also, there are these engravings on either side of the case right behind the pipe that looks to read

58W

Any idea what these markings mean? Are they factory?

IMG_1397.JPG

Edited by LumberjackLloyd

"Matching numbers" has not been a reality for many motorcycle OEMs for some time. With major components being assembled in vastly different regions, the logistics became just too complicated. What is amazing is that your frame and engine numbers are only 11 digits apart!

"Matching numbers" has not been a reality for many motorcycle OEMs for some time. With major components being assembled in vastly different regions, the logistics became just too complicated. What is amazing is that your frame and engine numbers are only 11 digits apart!

This is what I figured, although the numbers being so close made me curious. I'm more curious about the engravings though. Does nobody else have these on their cases?
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 8:18 AM, LumberjackLloyd said:

This is what I figured, although the numbers being so close made me curious. I'm more curious about the engravings though. Does nobody else have these on their cases?

I also have those engraving on both motors I have, no clue what they mean.

On 3/31/2017 at 5:18 AM, LumberjackLloyd said:

Manufacturer # of assembly case matches. If they are not the same the case halves have been replaced. EVERY engine on the YZ has them. So, you can tell who assembled it, and if it had ever been replaced. New case halves do not have the engraving. 

• Like 1

Split and rebuilt my buddy's pumpkin and it had the engravings too. I guess it's not just a Yamaha or Jap bike thing.