Best state to move to from WA. To ride dirt?

I have watched Washington State change over the years and being at a place in my life where all I want to do is ride trails, I am considering leaving Washington State. Where would you move to if you were set up in life and all you had to do was to enjoy the next 30 years riding trails? Your help is greatly appreciated. I have 3 places in mind, what say you guys? Where would you go? My ideal riding is technical single track. For instance I love little Naches, Tahuya obviously and Shelton areas. Thanks everyone who chimes in, much appreciated. PS. Pics are a huge bonus. 

• Like 1

Utah or Idaho. However you don't get the 365 days of riding there. If you're set, the Boise area is a nice place to live and it's halfway. 

• Like 3

I don't know, but I'd ride the other 90% of WA while I was thinkin about it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

Stop reading the news. Stay here. Don't drive during peak hours or holiday weekends. Survive!

You are spot on! The news is killing me! I have stopped watching it and I turned cable off years ago. I bought a toy hauler and will be dedicating my entire summer to Washington State trails again this year. Injuries got the better of me last summer. My wife is having a hard time with me riding alone but I bought a spot device. Arizona, Texas, Idaho, Moab, Mesa and Colorado are places of interest but this summer will be the decider. Not sure I can stomache Seattle. It is just like San Francisco. Any city for that matter has a 72 hour time limit for me. I belong in the woods where everything makes sense. You guys are awesome, thanks for all the responses. Have an awesome summer and please keep yourselves healthy.

• Like 7

Utah #1, Idaho a close #2, IMO. 

Utah is growing by leaps and bounds as Californians jump ship to get away from the traffic, the crowds, and the cost of living .  Even with all the newcomers, Utah is still relatively unspoiled.

Idaho is cold and snowy in the Winter, but what about timber sledding?

Edited by mrgem
  • Like 2

There are so many killer trails in Washington yet to ride... Idaho, Oregon...  So if I had your quandary... 1) I want to live somewhere I can ride from my front door (garage) and just go for an hour, two hours. Every day if I want. Do you have that now at Tahuya? 2) Riding year round 3) Reasonably close access to Mt. single track. Are you good with packing up the toy hauler for 3 months and heading south?  Are you OK living sort of in the boonies?

1) Naches area/410 somewhere. That puts you day trip to everything from Entiat to GP?  East to N. Idaho, or to E. Oregon are all pretty short jaunts. Plus miles of riding right outside your door. Downside, you need to leave in the winter. Worst case you can jump over and camp at Tahuya for a week or two here and there.

2) Northern Id. Lots of goods, farther from Cascade single track, but miles to explore. Same issue in Winter.

3) Central Oregon - Bend or... Similar to Naches, I bet you can find riding right out the door. Bend is, IMO much nicer than Yakima. Closer to Cali and points south for winter riding.

4) Utah, Arizona - Don't know much about that, but you would get to explore some cool stuff, and be close to Utah/Arizona/Colorado/New Mexico probably some killer riding.

5) California - Haha who in their right mind would consider moving to the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia?

It's a great problem to have, and I didn't even throw in proximity to BC.  I agree with explore in the toy hauler something may just jump out at you and you will know for sure.

Edit - I am going to add Cle Elum area - same winter issue, but riding galore 1/2 hour out your front door. And if you did want to go to the big city, North Bend is just over the pass!

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Like 1

Summers in Idaho and winters in Arizona. Arizona has great riding, mild to wild.

I like heat, arizona!

11 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Stop reading the news. Stay here. Don't drive during peak hours or holiday weekends. Survive!

Yeah we don't have time to watch the news because we are stuck in engineered gridlock. The fact that they raised ten cents a gallon promising an extra line, then did a bait and switch. Took that lane away and insult to injury charge us up to $10 a trip. Does not bode well. Not to mention I was almost in a 5 car pile up not to long ago on highway 18. The reason? 2 methhead zomies just darted out across traffic without looking. When I saw where they ran too, there was a tarp camp right there inthe middle of nowhere in the  middle of the woods. This region is way out of control.

• Like 3

Don't forget BC right across the border! Epic riding and the people are friendly!

And somebody mentioned the east coast? Grew up there, very limited public riding areas, I would avoid it at all costs unless you have some other attachment to the east coast.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, considering some options for the coming years, love the PacNW but would not mind a change of scenery. I like the idea of having a place nice and warm in the winter and coming back somewhere green up north for the summer.

• Like 3

I grew up in East Tennessee. The trails there were amazing only because I am a Gatlinburg local and knew where to ride. I rode Tahuya this morning. God, I love that place! I can usually spend a couple hours on something I have not ridden before and that is amazing for how small the area is. I saw 2 guys in their 80's sipping miller lite and smoking tobacco, lmao. This was at 8:30 in the morning. I stopped and said hello. They were friendly and made me laugh. I had forgotten my klim hydrator before I left this morning and this guy at elphandahl pass gave me a bottled water, I couldn't thank him enough. Leaving, I thought wow, everyone is being so friendly today and it really did make my day. Does anyone live near Capital Forest? Do you like it out there? Can I ride out there year round? I found a nice piece of property out there super secluded that borders CF. Gonna do Mesa and Moab soon, I'll let ya know how hard it was to tear me away. ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TahuyaRider said:

I grew up in East Tennessee. The trails there were amazing only because I am a Gatlinburg local and knew where to ride. I rode Tahuya this morning. God, I love that place! I can usually spend a couple hours on something I have not ridden before and that is amazing for how small the area is. I saw 2 guys in their 80's sipping miller lite and smoking tobacco, lmao. This was at 8:30 in the morning. I stopped and said hello. They were friendly and made me laugh. I had forgotten my klim hydrator before I left this morning and this guy at elphandahl pass gave me a bottled water, I couldn't thank him enough. Leaving, I thought wow, everyone is being so friendly today and it really did make my day. Does anyone live near Capital Forest? Do you like it out there? Can I ride out there year round? I found a nice piece of property out there super secluded that borders CF. Gonna do Mesa and Moab soon, I'll let ya know how hard it was to tear me away. ?

Don't forget the one positive thing to being here is we are only 5-7 hour drive from hands down the best singletrack on planet earth(idaho). Only problem is it's only really rideable from early July to end of October. Even them it's almost mandatory to carry a chainsaw of some sort.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Engstrom said:

Don't forget the one positive thing to being here is we are only 5-7 hour drive from hands down the best singletrack on planet earth(idaho). Only problem is it's only really rideable from early July to end of October. Even them it's almost mandatory to carry a chainsaw of some sort.

I have not had the opportunity to ride there. What would you say is you favorite area up there? My wife and I are planning on going in August. 

Arizona.  Specifically North Phoenix or Prescott.  I ride year round and the furthest I need to drive to get to a great riding spot is less than 2 hours.  I ride with guys who have moved here from all over and they love the riding here.  If technical single track is your thing this is a great place to live.  If you like racing we have a great series too.  Look up amraracing.com.  There are also WORCS races nearby and other great series too.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 4Sevens said:

Arizona.  Specifically North Phoenix or Prescott.  I ride year round and the furthest I need to drive to get to a great riding spot is less than 2 hours.  I ride with guys who have moved here from all over and they love the riding here.  If technical single track is your thing this is a great place to live.  If you like racing we have a great series too.  Look up amraracing.com.  There are also WORCS races nearby and other great series too.

What kind of riding though? I originally thought about moving there and still do as I love it there. But someone had a good point. "Everywhere outside the northwest the riding is almost identical. Fast with pine trees. We have unique riding that can only be found here". Which is an excellent point.

1 hour ago, TahuyaRider said:

I have not had the opportunity to ride there. What would you say is you favorite area up there? My wife and I are planning on going in August. 

Only rode a couple places and frankly loved em all. That's the point of Idaho though. Thers just a ton of riding and Everytime you ride new stuff you think you can't top the last ride and yet you do.

• Like 2