Starting /possible clutch issues...am i just a newbie?

I'm working on my buddies 125 and can't figure out why it won't start...new spark plug, getting gas, getting air as far as I can tell and he said he just got the jug honed with new piston rings. You can kick it all day with nothing so I went to bump start it. It seemed to turn over a few times and even began to smoke but bogs back out every time. Tried chocked and not with no real change. For a bit thought it may have been a bad clutch because when in gear with clutch depressed didn't seem to FULLY disengage. Wheel spins but not with the same ease as being in neutral. Not sure if that is just a dirtbike thing though my drz 400 sm feels like it is in neutral when clutch is engaged. I pulled the clutch out and it seems to be in decent shape. He bought the bike in pieces so I thought it may just be the wrong cable. To test I rotated the clutch lever fully (motor side) and tried to roll the bike with the same results. You even hear the motor getting a little compression but it is only about one chug to two wheel revolutions. My thought is the bike may not be getting good compression but this might as well be a shot in the dark based off of the basic air fuel spark compression check list....any help would be appreciated

Yeah, brand new plug

Having a brand new spark plug doesn't insure you are getting good spark. Pull the plug, reconnect it to the cap, have your buddy hold the end close to the cylinder (but not touching) while you kick it. You should see a fat blue spark. Best done in lower light conditions.

Also, the clutch dragging while in gear and motor not running is pretty normal. Now if it's dragging excessively it's a problem, but you can definitely tell when it's in gear even with clutch pulled in.

Well if you are getting spark, air and gas it should at least start. You said he just got the top end done, was it running before that? Did it sit for a long time, maybe carb needs cleaning? Pull silencer apart and make sure it's not clogged up.

• Like 1

I agree with Dirt Rider, I would check the carb.

Are you sure you are getting fuel into the cylinder?

Check the following:

* Check the fuel line from the tank. Make sure you are getting fuel into the carb.

* Good premix. 

* Air filter, and passage going into carb.

* Pull the carb. Clean the jets and all of the passages in the carb. Check the float level.

* Pull the pipe. Make sure it isn't clogged or obstructed. Shine a light up into the exhaust flange and check the piston. 

* Check the silencer like Dirt Rider said.

Keep us updated.

Good luck!

Please check the reeds and make sure they are not badly broken and check the to sure sure the ignition plate is lined up correctly so the spark is occurring at the correct time. Either of these two problems will cause the symptoms you are reporting.