yz250 frame powdercoat

i have already researched the pro/cons of this with an aluminum frame. i am inquiring what colors those out there who have powdercoated the newer aluminum frames. i am debating between trying to color match the older YZblue of steel frames or just straight black. pictures encouraged!

6 hours ago, moto278 said:

i have already researched the pro/cons of this with an aluminum frame. i am inquiring what colors those out there who have powdercoated the newer aluminum frames. i am debating between trying to color match the older YZblue of steel frames or just straight black. pictures encouraged!

go black. 

Depends on what colors your plastics and graphics will be? Any other bling on the bike?

I'm a fan of highlighting specific areas of the bike with colors, however, while a black frame is sort of "bla" on its own, it would hide dirt and oil much better. A black frame would look very cool, IMO, with a matching black swingarm.

I have a few blue anodized parts. Blue oem plastics, 15 style. No graphics yet. Rims will either be blue or silver. I'm leaning towards black frame/swingarm/subframe but that seems to be the only color people do. Kinda boring. And loved the old blue steel frames

darius+13.jpg

JC-Yamaha-YZ250-2.jpg

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/mxjosh18/media/YZ250/P5040039.jpg.html

http://xgames.espn.com/xgames/gallery/8483266/image/18/from-right

Many black bits on bikes they tend to fade into the background (like the airbox boot) unless they are kept very clean & polished. That's why black plastic bodywork only looks good when it's fresh-out-of-the-box; it's almost impossible to keep it looking shiny & bright.

The frame is generally something you want highlighted -- it shows off structure and contributes to the "lines" of the bike. Plus, brighter colors still tend to look good even when a little dirty, which is perfect for a frame, that has plenty of hard-to-clean areas.

Edited by CaptDan

I'd like to see you do a blue frame. That would be a first and get a lot of double takes… Is that an aluminum frame?
Maybe with blue rims, only problem is the blue rims don't really match. Do they?

I'd really like to see you go blue on the frame. I've always wanted to see a blue aluminum frame. Black wheels would look good too imo. I personally would never powder coat my swing arm. I could be wrong, but I think it would end up looking like crap very quickly from all the scratches. At least with the frame you can add guards where your boots rub. 

• Like 1

I sent mine out to get powder coated, steel frame with swing arm, linkages and triple tree. Hopefully get it back next week. I'm going with a extravagant color instead of black or blue. Il post pictures when I get it back

3 hours ago, Yzbrian03 said:

I sent mine out to get powder coated, steel frame with swing arm, linkages and triple tree. Hopefully get it back next week. I'm going with a extravagant color instead of black or blue. Il post pictures when I get it back

i look forward to seeing how it turns out!

yes, the bike is a 2007, aluminum frame. the swingarm i am debating on yet. the rear brake caliper hangs loose and i am still debating replacing it with a new(er) swingarm instead. im kinda leaning towards blue for the frame right now and trying to track down the graphics that were on a CR22 replica 2017 i saw online. replica of his 2004era factory bike. i liked the stock design of the older team graphics. but again, havent made any decisions.

11 hours ago, Chevy_97 said:

I'd really like to see you go blue on the frame. I've always wanted to see a blue aluminum frame. Black wheels would look good too imo. I personally would never powder coat my swing arm. I could be wrong, but I think it would end up looking like crap very quickly from all the scratches. At least with the frame you can add guards where your boots rub. 

i agree on the swingarm. i would look to do some sort of a clear graphic tape like ive done in the past to 'protect' it. and i have clear grip tape ill be using on the frame regardless of color for the same reason.

On 4/1/2017 at 11:08 PM, moto278 said:

i look forward to seeing how it turns out!

yes, the bike is a 2007, aluminum frame. the swingarm i am debating on yet. the rear brake caliper hangs loose and i am still debating replacing it with a new(er) swingarm instead. im kinda leaning towards blue for the frame right now and trying to track down the graphics that were on a CR22 replica 2017 i saw online. replica of his 2004era factory bike. i liked the stock design of the older team graphics. but again, havent made any decisions.

Sneak peak 

IMG_0697.JPG

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, smez said:

What's it called? ?

Illusion purple.     It gets dark in shade and real bright in the sun.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 7:30 AM, TPA-MX said:

The black color on the frame, swingarm and SF would look really nice..

what year is that top bike and how do I get those plastics on my 96

On 3/31/2017 at 9:07 AM, CaptDan said:

darius+13.jpg

JC-Yamaha-YZ250-2.jpg

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/mxjosh18/media/YZ250/P5040039.jpg.html

http://xgames.espn.com/xgames/gallery/8483266/image/18/from-right

Many black bits on bikes they tend to fade into the background (like the airbox boot) unless they are kept very clean & polished. That's why black plastic bodywork only looks good when it's fresh-out-of-the-box; it's almost impossible to keep it looking shiny & bright.

The frame is generally something you want highlighted -- it shows off structure and contributes to the "lines" of the bike. Plus, brighter colors still tend to look good even when a little dirty, which is perfect for a frame, that has plenty of hard-to-clean areas.

What year is that top bike and how do I get those plastics on my 96

darius+13.jpg

That bike is a 2002-2004. It has the "Re-style" plastic kit (either UFO or Cycra) that fits 2002-2014 YZ125s & 250s. Your 1996 has the same bodywork as used up to 2001. The Re-style front fender will bolt onto your '96 without a problem. The front number plate will require some minor mods -- there is a tutorial in the FAQ section. The shrouds will need a 2002+ fuel tank conversion, which takes some fabrication but is do-able. The Re-style rear fender and side panels only fits the 2002+ subframe, and converting that on to your 1996 requires cutting & welding.

There are many threads on this topic, with great input from the TT members. 

Edited by CaptDan
  • Like 1