Carb overflowing

So i was owing some work on the bike, I had the petrol tank removed and the bike on it's side.

Now when I turn the fuel petlock on fuel comes rushing out of what I assume is the overflow for the carb. Can someone tell me why this is happening and how to fix?

It is probably something really obvious but I am quite inexperienced with these kinds of things.

Its normal to overflow when tipped over. Does it still over flow when stood up? Inside the carburetor, attached to the float, it what is called the needle(not to be confused with the slide needle). The needle fits into what is known as the seat. You may have heard the term needle and seat? Anyway, it acts as an automatic shut off have for fuel entering the carburetor. Sometimes a piece of dirt an get shut in there and prevent it from closing. Other possibilities are the o-ring around the seat may be deteriorated, or the needle and seat are just worn out and needle replaced.

10 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Its normal to overflow when tipped over. Does it still over flow when stood up? Inside the carburetor, attached to the float, it what is called the needle(not to be confused with the slide needle). The needle fits into what is known as the seat. You may have heard the term needle and seat? Anyway, it acts as an automatic shut off have for fuel entering the carburetor. Sometimes a piece of dirt an get shut in there and prevent it from closing. Other possibilities are the o-ring around the seat may be deteriorated, or the needle and seat are just worn out and needle replaced.

Yeah it does it when upright, I tried taking the fuel screw out and then blasting the air compressor up the overflow pipe and that fixed it for about 10minutes. Next I will pull of the carburettor bowl and inspect.

A lot of times, the bowl will stick when on it's been on it's side or sometimes, it will just stick for no good reason.  Often, tapping on the side of the bowl with a screwdriver or ratchet will get it freed up.  Or a quick 5-10 minute ride will shake everything out.

If I had no good reason to tear the carb down, that'd be my first step.  If that didn't work, I'd go ahead and pop the carb off and check the needle, seat, and float height.

2 hours ago, baglock1 said:

A lot of times, the bowl will stick when on it's been on it's side or sometimes, it will just stick for no good reason.  Often, tapping on the side of the bowl with a screwdriver or ratchet will get it freed up.  Or a quick 5-10 minute ride will shake everything out.

If I had no good reason to tear the carb down, that'd be my first step.  If that didn't work, I'd go ahead and pop the carb off and check the needle, seat, and float height.

Ended up pulling it apart and putting it all back together again and now it works. Don't know wtf was wrong with it but it works now. I assume maybe something knocked.out.of place when I dropped it.