Wait, What....A 4-Stroke?

I love my 2-strokes, and am by no means done with them, but it was time for a new bike, and I've always known I'd be a little faster on a 4-stroke, but just didn't want to go back to an overweight pit-bike.  Plus I like the hard charging hustle it takes to win against the big block 4-strokes.

I was aware of the KTM350, but had no experience with one. A few weeks ago, Kelly of Freedom Mx, offered me a test ride on the Night Track on his KTM 350. Wow, it was what I heard, a compromise between to much, or not enough. It is only a few pounds heavier than my Sx's, and rides in the upper rpm range like a 2-stroke.

The plushness of the suspension was immediately noticeable, or at least compared to my stiff/harsh Sx's. The long winded rpm range is amazing. When you think it's nearing the red-line, just keep twisting the throttle, there is plenty of pull left.

The tractability was more predictable too, which I expected out of a 4-stroke. It cornered well, and has amazing front brakes, and the soft hydraulic clutch too. Then there's the magic button the right side of the bars too. Also there's power mode 1 and 2, launch control and traction control.

So, after that test ride, I headed to Munn Racing, and loaded up a 2017 350SX-F. My tie-down straps and truck were confused with it riding along, but they will adjust over time.

I had my first race on it a couple of weeks ago, and will try to expound upon that adventure this evening in another thread.

• Like 2

4 stroke engineering has came a long way in the past decade. The KTM 350 motor is proof of that! Your truck will get used to it, mine did. 

• Like 2