How often should you rebuild a 4 stroke

So I just bought a 2017 rmz 250 and I was wondering how often I have to rebuild the top end. I figured as long as a keep the oil changed every 3 hours and a new oil filter every other oil change and keeping the air filter clean I wouldn't have to touch the top end very often but the book says every 20 hours and I don't think I can fit that in my budget so often, any opinion is appreciated, thanks.

I'm not sure on the whole rebuild thing, but I just want to know how you like the bike? I'm looking at a new bike and there's some good deals on suzukis. 

Frequent oil changes, air filter service, keeping a close eye on the valvetrain adjustments will help prolong the engine but

it comes down to how hard you ride the bike that will dictate how soon it needs a refresh.

Simply trail riding or recreational motocross, not constantly bouncing off the rev limiter can

easily double or triple the hours of what the recommended 'racing' service shedule says.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

All the info above is great information.. service intervals are determined by several factors, which are listed above.. replacing rings on a piston should be considered every 20hrs.. if you change the rings out before the piston starts to get out of spec, you can keep that same piston for awhile.. rings only cost about $50. And the gasket kit is another $20

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 10:17 PM, pete11 said:

I'm not sure on the whole rebuild thing, but I just want to know how you like the bike? I'm looking at a new bike and there's some good deals on suzukis. 

I love the bike I just got through the break in period (because I bought I brand new) and it's amazing, it handles great coming in and going out of turns, and it's fast on straights. The throttle response is awesome and it has a great power. There is a lot of negativity towards the suzukis lately but I assure you it won't let you down. And plus it looks slick asf... lol

Awesome, thanks for the info. Keep us posted on any others issues or reasons why u like or dislike the bike.

Lol, unless you are an A or B rider or you are constantly hitting the rev limiter, the motor and top end will last you a long time. I race C class and bought my 16 new. I went 74 hours on the motor before replacing the piston and cam chain. Piston looked great and could've went past 100 hours. Keep the oil and filters fresh and you'll be good for a long time.