Bought a piston/cylinder kit off of eBay. Now that it's half way back together I'm wondering if it's actually going to work. XR200R

I have this 95 XR200R that was smoking so I got a piston and cylinder kit off of eBay for cheap claiming that it'll work for it. Here's a link to one that looks identical to what I got. 

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/Cylinder-Kit-223CM3-for-Honda-ATC200-ARC-XL200-250cc-Piston-65-5mm-Rings-Gaskets-/191596280447?nav=SEARCH

Now that I'm trying to get the cam chain back on I've noticed a couple of things. The replacement cylinder block is 7.5 mm taller than the original and there's a spot for a cam chain tensioner on the back where it's not located on this bike.

I figure I can make a plate to block off that cam chain tensioner hole, but I'm now worried about the cylinder being taller. Will this affect the compression? The piston is 11mm down from the top of the cylinder at TDC. I'm not sure what it was stock. 

Also I'll need a new cam chain that's longer for it to fit. 

So did I goof up and buy something that's not actually going to work? Or can I make it work out with a bit of work?

You found out the hard way that cheap isn't that cheap. So now go buy the correct parts from a reputable source and motor on.

you still have your old cylinder? I would get a newer oversized piston take them both to an engine machine shop and get the cylinder bored to match the piston it will be a lot less of a headache then trying to find a longer cam chain, a way to change the cylinder height and messing around with plugging that awful hole. call around for machine shops they will more than likely ask you if its over 2 inches "which it is" as it may be the smallest diameter they can bore.

I thought we had a recent post on here that determined this kit was for a crf230 or it would work on a 230.  And that it didn't work on the 200. Isn't the stroke on the 230 a little longer and hence the reason for the higher deck with this kit.  Either way, I am pretty sure someone tried it and it doesn't quite fit correctly. 

Look back a few few months ago and I am sure it is all outlined in the post

i just looked up that post its under "97 xr200r top end" after seeing better then ebay pictures. the cylinder on my pitster pro sc230 motor I shoehorned into my Honda xl200r looks exactly like that one now that I think of it. the pitster is a mishmash of crf230 top parts and Honda md33e "sl230" parts. seems like the Chinese have the casts for those cylinders and are marketing them as a one size fits all kind of deal. the skirt on the Chinese cylinder looks kind of short while there is a large ridge for the mating surface around the skirt I wonder if that can be machined down enough for the skirt to sit down into the crank case to lower the overall height. anyways looks like I found a cheap rebuild cylinder for my pitster motor

IMG_20170401_225251[1].jpg

There are a lot more issues with that cylinder than the heights. Here is a thread from three weeks ago. https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1220852-97-xr200r-top-end/

File a complaint with ebay and return that kit along with a refund. The Chinese marketers have absolutely no idea of what they are selling, the post title says it will fit and then the fine print warns for the buyer to make sure the item will fit; total BS.

I bought an video display circuit board from China, the title picture matched my old board. The item wouldn't fit and didn't match the title picture; ebay refunded my money. Via a few snarky emails they wanted it returned using "their" DSL account, but couldn't provide an address that DSL could deliver to ( the person couldn't understand the concept of postal codes for shipping and shippers require a valid postal code). 

• Like 1