Undating Internal parts

Hey all, I ride an 09 KTM EXC 450R, and looking to update some internal parts as others have done to make these bikes a bit more reliable.   I see some have replaced the updated rocker arm shafts, oil pump shaft, as well as some seals to help with engine oil to tranny migration.   What I'd like to ask before doing all this, has anyone experienced an engine failure due to not upgrading these parts ?   I'd like to keep this bike running tip top, it's my pride and joy, and will not likely be able to afford a new one for at least 20 years lol..

Thanks ! !! :)

Do it.  Look this up, KTM 450 - 530 Oil Pump Gear Upgrade! How To Article with Pics, here on TT from the Hodaka Guy. 08 gears are the same as 09 gears and I had the larger gear come off the shaft and get eaten in half. Not Good. Cost me a piston, cylinder and others since I was in that deep. I have four of these bikes, love em.  I had done these mods on my two other 08s and my 09, thought i would get lucky on this 08, just needed to get in 1 or 2 more rides. Don't count on luck for this one.  

Thanks for your input guys. I've been looking at the hole Hodaka article msleeper156 and just trying to decide which, or all parts to do. Some of the parts in the article have the same serial #'s as what's in my 09 parts manuel, will just have to rip into it and see if I have some of the updated parts in there already, or if the updated parts have same #'s as before, but have the changes done to them. 

I had a ton of hours on an 09 450 I bought 2 years ago. I really wanted the oil system upgrade to a shared system so I sent the engine to Blais Racing and Chris hooked me up oil system upgrade and other items. I'm excited to ride it now that the engine holds 1500cc of oil on a shared system. I highly recommend Blais Racing.

• Like 1

Thanks for this amazing information dogdave!  I just checked out their website, too bad they're in California and I'm in Canada, not sure if I'd feel comfortable shipping my engine away, but I'm sure some do.  

I just put in my order at KTM for for the updated parts, hopefully the one's with the same serial #'s are actually different/updated, and I'm not just buying the same crappie parts :), and if they fail at any point, I'll reconsider calling up Blais racing !