Is buying new worth it?

I am thinking about getting a different bike in a year or so and obviously something newer. I am currently on an 08 250f and would eventually like to upgrade to a fuel injected bike. I have kind of been eyeing up the 2013's as they are in the $3,500 range and that's what I have in mind. I know their is quite a bit of up upgrades between a 12 and a 13 that makes it most likely worth shooting for a 13. But then I know you can usually get a new old stock bike off the showroom for about $1,000 cheaper than the current model. However I know they loose value once drove off the showroom floor and I would like to hear some opinions on if it's really worth that 6K+ price tag for a dirt bike.

Thanks 

• Like 1

It's a dirt bike, the moment you take it off the lot they lose value. Best part of new you know the condition of the bike. Used bikes are a crap shoot. I bought a so called slightly used bike, 1 yr old, from a reputable dealer, just to find out later that the left side crank case had been repaired due to a crack. Bike's been awesome but can't very well sell it without telling the potential buyer about the repair, which means resale value has been significantly reduced. My next bike will be new.

• Like 1

It's a dirt bike, the moment you take it off the lot they lose value. Best part of new you know the condition of the bike. Used bikes are a crap shoot. I bought a so called slightly used bike, 1 yr old, from a reputable dealer, just to find out later that the left side crank case had been repaired due to a crack. Bike's been awesome but can't very well sell it without telling the potential buyer about the repair, which means resale value has been significantly reduced. My next bike will be new.

Good reason to buy new there. That sucks though to have to take the initial hit I guess haha.

I think if your patient you can find some sweet deals on a used bike. Yes it can be a crap shoot but if you look at the tell tale wear signs like side covers, frame, foot pegs, tires and wheels you can see a low hour bike. My boys get a new bike every couple of years so I usual end up doing the dad thing and get bikes a few years older to save a little cash. One nice thing is if you know the previous owner well then you probably wouldn't have an issue. If not though and you meet the owner and he's a 50 year old guy who bought a 450 to ride around with his kid and the bikes immaculate probably a good chance he's telling the truth. I think it's really a matter of preference and cash if you race serious moto then your probably better off going new. If it's just a play bike and your on a tight budget then a good used bike is the way to go. Whatever you do good luck and happy riding.

I think if your patient you can find some sweet deals on a used bike. Yes it can be a crap shoot but if you look at the tell tale wear signs like side covers, frame, foot pegs, tires and wheels you can see a low hour bike. My boys get a new bike every couple of years so I usual end up doing the dad thing and get bikes a few years older to save a little cash. One nice thing is if you know the previous owner well then you probably wouldn't have an issue. If not though and you meet the owner and he's a 50 year old guy who bought a 450 to ride around with his kid and the bikes immaculate probably a good chance he's telling the truth. I think it's really a matter of preference and cash if you race serious moto then your probably better off going new. If it's just a play bike and your on a tight budget then a good used bike is the way to go. Whatever you do good luck and happy riding.

Thanks for the info Hoss. Point well said. I do not race so maybe it does not make sense to buy new for me as I am a weekend warrior on a budget with 2 small kids. It's tempting to get that scratch free bike though some times lol. But it's probably worth just being patient and getting a very low hour bike to save money and put it elsewhere.
  • Like 1

I think it varies per person. If you ride enough to justify getting a new bike then its worth it. The piece of mind you get in knowing the condition is also nice.

I think it varies per person. If you ride enough to justify getting a new bike then its worth it. The piece of mind you get in knowing the condition is also nice.

I honestly don't ride much now but when the kids get older I plan to ride more. But yes that was my main reason was knowing the condition of the bike.

It depends.  I ride about 100-150 hours a season.  I have used a bike for years and just started getting a new bike every couple.  It depends on how much your used bike was ridden and how the previous owner viewed maintenance,  and then your needs which vary a lot.  If you are a rider who rides only on weekends then nothing wrong with a bike 10 15 20 even 25 years old, even if you are doing track riding.  If you race and ride a lot then having a new bike is nice from a reliability sense plus it is nice to get contingency from the manufacturer.  I have some friends riding a bike thats 10 years old.  Really up to you and how much wrenching you want to do.  One word of advice I would give is there is no such thing as a used bike that needs no work.  especially if its over 2 years old. Very rare instances that its in good condition. I feel if you go into buying a used bike with that mindset you will be not as disappointed.  

There is a reason that we joke about the craigslist listings of the beater bikes saying things like "fresh top end".  Buyer beware

It depends.  I ride about 100-150 hours a season.  I have used a bike for years and just started getting a new bike every couple.  It depends on how much your used bike was ridden and how the previous owner viewed maintenance,  and then your needs which vary a lot.  If you are a rider who rides only on weekends then nothing wrong with a bike 10 15 20 even 25 years old, even if you are doing track riding.  If you race and ride a lot then having a new bike is nice from a reliability sense plus it is nice to get contingency from the manufacturer.  I have some friends riding a bike thats 10 years old.  Really up to you and how much wrenching you want to do.  One word of advice I would give is there is no such thing as a used bike that needs no work.  especially if its over 2 years old. Very rare instances that its in good condition. I feel if you go into buying a used bike with that mindset you will be not as disappointed.  
There is a reason that we joke about the craigslist listings of the beater bikes saying things like "fresh top end".  Buyer beware

That is a ton of riding. I'd be lucky to
log 40 hours a summer and probably less than that. I think more than likely if I can pickup a nice 13 or 14 next year I will be happy for awhile. I'm ok with wrenching but if I'm gonna spend over 3k on a used bike I would hope it wouldn't need much work done lol.