I need to lower my pig

I just put on a new back tire Kenda 5.10, and it seems like my seat height went up two inches, I'm 6' tall but have a 30'' inseam, yes i'm deformed. I was doing great with the old tire but the bike is way too tall now, any andvice on lowering links,seats, etc will be appreciated.

IMG_0577.JPG

I really like my XR650L but I agree it's too tall. I put a Kouba lowering link on it, raised the forks about 3/4" up to the taper, and put a low seat concepts seat on it. Probably only lowered it a couple inches but it made a big difference. I could also increase the rear end sag by loosening the rear shock preload; and I am thinking about buying manracks fork shims to allow raising the forks even more. I've read you could put a rebound spacer in the forks or send them off for professional lowering. Last thing, low profile tires. I don't want a skinny rear tire but I would like the lowest profile available in a 120 or 130mm. Good luck w your bike!

It might be more satisfactory in the long run, not to mention cheaper, to get a different lower profile rear tire.  Maybe a 110/80 size.  That will actually improve the tight woods handling and suspension.  Also double check your rear sag measurement.

The big tire is also a lot of rotational weight to get spinning. It's like adding a heavier flywheel and only slows the bike down. You're losing horsepower , literally.

• Like 1

I just read that the Michelin 130/80-18 T63 rear has a diameter of 26.2" where as the Dunlop 130/90-18 D606 has a diameter of 27.4", that could make a little over .6" difference in seat height. Not much but an inch here, half in there, pretty soon you have 3" which is a big difference.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cyclefarm said:

I really like my XR650L but I agree it's too tall. I put a Kouba lowering link on it, raised the forks about 3/4" up to the taper, and put a low seat concepts seat on it. Probably only lowered it a couple inches but it made a big difference. I could also increase the rear end sag by loosening the rear shock preload; and I am thinking about buying manracks fork shims to allow raising the forks even more. I've read you could put a rebound spacer in the forks or send them off for professional lowering. Last thing, low profile tires. I don't want a skinny rear tire but I would like the lowest profile available in a 120 or 130mm. Good luck w your bike!

Thanks for the info, I just ordered the Kouba lowering link. I think I'm going to shave some off the seat just watched a youtube vid. on it. and going to put on a lower profile tire when this one wears down, taking my bike up to the hollers of TN in a couple of weeks I should have all this work done by then.